Ultraseal - genuine or not?

I've been trying to source a local supplier and installer of Ultraseal for the van tyres. I found an installer not far from me but when I contacted him he said he had stopped installing Ultraseal. His story is that the product orginated in the US, under the name Ultraseal, and was imported into the UK by a UK distributor. Subsequently, a UK company obtained a license to the trade name and stated making and distributing their version of ultraseal in the UK. The US OEM ceased exporting to the UK. The ex-installer was not sure that the UK version has the same provenance as the material originally imported from the US. To avoid any liability issues, he stopped offering the UK version and has tried, unsucessfully, to source from the US OEM. Now, possibly, I'm being told a load of bull by a disgruntled ex-installer, but it might bear deeper investigation. It could also be that the UK manufacturer is making to the full original US product specification and the US OEM no longer exports to the UK as part of the license deal. If any forum member can shed more light on this matter it would be helpful.

Richard Thomas

Hi Mike. Thanks for your post. I looked at the ultraseal.biz web site during my hunt for an installer. I think the Disclaimer message (which appears to be the only functoning part of the web site) causes more confusion - claiming that there are at least two UK based distributors of an imported product that Ultraseal UK claim is possible dangerous, but marketed under the term "ultraseal" This looks a mess. I'm hoping that one of our esteemed formum members with more posts than I could shake a stick at is so plumbed into the matter that he or she can give guidance. In the meantime I'll hold off. To answer your question -I would be looking for an installer in the Notts/Derby/S>Yorks area.

Richard.

I had Ultraseal put into the tyres of my new Burstner last July, as there was no spare fitted, and there were quite a few posts on MMM about the product, and no signs of any probelms at all.

They also used to go to some of the outdoor shows, but I had mine fitted in Exeter, as this was the nearest and most convenient to me at the time.

The Company I used was

GSP Tyre and Exhaust, (gerry Preston) tel 01392 255123/253543. They seemd first class, and as far as I am aware the product was genuine. It may be worth giving him a call to see what he can tell you, but certainly at that time ther were a number of fitters around the country.

Please post any news on the forum, as I think there are quite a few of us aorund using this product.

There is a recent post on the motorhomefacts.com forum dated 5 March 2008 from a contributor named Monkton, who wrote as follows;

I posted a number of replies regarding Ultraseal (and alternatives) elsewhere in the Forums and now can't find the thread. Anyway, there have been issues (allegedly) between the UK importers of 'Ultraseal' and the American distributor although I do know that this product remains available in the UK. That said, the UK importer based in Newcastle is now manufacturing its own product here in the UK which is being traded under the name of 'Puncture Safe.'

I have spoken with an Adam Baker of Puncture Safe who has advised me that this new product is being supplied under contract to a number of major transport companies in the UK following extensive trials. Amongst these are Balfor Beatty and Royal Mail. The Royal Mail contract is across their entire fleet of some 32,000 vehicles (including HGV's). Adam Baker would be very happy to speak personally with any member of these forums and may be contacted on 0870 240 1280. Hope this helps.

There is also Protex making a similar product at:

www.protexsolutions.com

Both were at the York Show when I had my tyres treated - I chose Ultraseal mainly because I'd seen them there regularly and they also did not indulge in knocking the competition as Protex did - that's always a turn-off for me.

Mel E

====

I can close out this thread with the following information. The original supplier of Ultraseal is now trading as Puncture Safe UK. The material they supply is to their own specification and manufacture. The business is based in Exeter. The contact is Adam Baker on 0870 240 1280. Baker put me in touch with a local installer of Puncture Safe. The cost for treating 4 wheels (225/65 R16) at my home address was £62. The installer demonstrated the operation of the product and provided literature that featured use of the product by Balfor Beaty and Royal Mail. Is the stuff any good? Only time will tell.

Archived