fresh water tank level indicator

Brian Peters

hello all. i hope some of you can help me, i have a burstner t-710 motorhome with an internal fresh water tank under the bench seat in the living area.

the problem that i have is that the tank level indicator shows half a tank,but in reality im drawing air from an almost empty tank so i guess the sender unit is lying to me. looking into the tank there seems to be several probes that are submerged into the fresh water, im not sure how these probes detect the level?

or how to rectify the fault, any suggestions would be most grateful or if any of you have expeirienced the same fault?

many thanks( or tanks)

BRIAN

My fresh water gauge has always read 1/4 full on my chieftain , no one seems to be able to sort it so i just allow for that amount each time i check the guage .

When i fill up i always wait till the water over flows anyway , always have .

We have the same system in our Burstner. We have not had a problem so far (4 years) but the probes, which I assume work by sensing resistance through the water, are very sensitive to the level of the van. Also check that your water pump is at the deepest point of the tank as it could be perched on a rib. We have had problems with the pump, the small ball (non return valve) gets stuck and water from the water heater siphons back into the tank. A good tap (hit) on the pump seems to free it OK.

I have yet to own a motorhome with a working fresh water indicator. It's a common problem which only seems to go away if the 'van has been standing still for several days.

I assume that each of the probes gets equally wet when the 'van is driven and so the electronics are unable to work out which level to display.

Mel E

====

Guest Tracker

I'm with Mel on this - I've had a lot of vans and none of the water level indicators has ever been better than useless.

Best way is to fill the tank full and use it normally until it runs out at which time you will know two things - well three actually.

Firstly, how much water you use per day and secondly, how long a full tank will last - and thirdly - you are out of water!

Then using this newly gained knowledge to best effect simply refill it the day before it is due to run out for a happy and waterful life ever after!

Another solution is a home made and calibrated dipstick but then again there are already probably quite enough dipsticks in the government so perhaps we should all use a politician as a dipstick - who would be your choice!

This method of detecting the water level is quite common in motorhomes which includes our own Autotrail. The screws are manufactured from stainless steel and are fitted through the tank with the heads on the inside so that they make electrical contact with the water when the water level is above that of the screw.. The wires must make electrical connection with the screws. The electronics in the motorhome control panel passes a very small current through the wires and screws into the water and the current finds a return path via the bottom screw.

It is good practice to remove the tank from time to time and thoroughly clean it out. Algae forms on the inside of the tank and frequently maintains enough damp on the inside of the tank walls to cause the water sensors to think that water level is higher that it actually is.

1357354491_WATERTANKSENSORS.jpg.86dd5c4c506c061ea56604dc96bcc575.jpg

thanks for all suggestions, i guess i will assume that the detection system is now kaput and will go for the overflow method to fill up. as regards using members of the labour party as dipsticks,i dont think i have enough room on my tank to accomadte them all.

thanks again

brian

Bit late in replying as not been on site, but just to add that my Eldiss Autocirrus always says half full when in fact I can't put any more in as it is full to brim. so I fill up and then release some into a bucket and water the garden before I set off. Joy

Guest Tracker

No need to empty any water out as you can't overfill a tank because they all have overflows which prevent this.

It is worth pointing out that some overflows are positioned well below the top of the tank and judicious re routing of the overflow pipe as high as you can get it under the van floor (external tank) often means that more water stays in your tank when full and a lot less slurps out onto the road.

Archived