Sticker Residue

Randonneur

Try a drop of white spirit Martin. Apply to the residue and wait until it softens up, it can then be removed easier with no damage to the paintwork apart from coming up like new. Time will bring it back to the original, but working outwards gently with t-cut will blend it all back as it was.

www.xyron.com It is like a small block of crepe rubber. Works very well, can be fouind in most shops among the stationary, called Xyron "adhesive eraser". It just rubs the dried up old adhesive off, Made in Belgium.

Never tried baby wipes Les, but if it removes this residue from paintwork then no wonder todays kids look so miserable. The problem is not so much removing the residue as ensuring the treated area does,nt stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the van. As I said, time will solve that, but t-cutting out until it blends is the best option.

White spirit is also ideal for removing those 'car dealer' stickers from the rear windows (glass) without damaging any heating elements.

Many thanks to all of you who suggested various things. We have finally removed the last and largest of the stickers (the motorhome dealers). We used a mixture of everything, one after another, finally petrol, a quick wash and a coat of polish so hopefully we haven't done any harm. We have been looking at these stickers for 18 months wondering how we could remove them. The van looks 100% better now.

Again, many thanks to everyone.

By the way, I am a greetings card maker and I had one of those crepe rubber erasers, never could get the hang of it on card though.

Seeing as this has moved onto being a 'a hundred and one uses for baby wipes' :-D , I use them to clean the sink and toilet in the 'van - they are cheaper than the proprietary products, don't do any damage and they smell nice!!!

I haven't yet tried them on the stainless steel cooker but I suspect they'll be good at giving that a nice shine as well!

If have dull shoes, they are great for giving them a shine before you go out as well.

Also useful if your dog has mucky paws, a quick wipe and then throw it away, saves having muddy towels hanging around.

Wirralian - 2008-05-14 12:23 PM

Can any of you 'baby wipe' fans tell me if they are any good on removing the adhesive left on the headlights after removal of the beam deflecting stickers.

John L (?)

if you do it straight away, once it's started to go manky we revert to the pan scrubber approach.

thing about baby wipes is they are so handy - easy to carry - wipe any part of your body, dogs body, as well as baby's - and most bits of the van. Though I also use the CIF equivalent in the kitchen area.

and on the topic of baby wipes - nappy bags are also very useful, don't leak [obviously] so can put wet things in, and they have an ok smell [to start off with]

B-)

grocer jack - 2008-05-14 4:47 PM

Baby wipes - Very useful for removing squashed babies off the windscreen. (lol) (lol) Only joking. ;-) ;-)

should think so, - you need the supersize wipes for that :D

B-)

We bought some scented nappy bags to clear up our doggies ... er ... you know what. Didn't need them straight away as still using up some other bags so put them in the drawers in the small bedroom, a few days later we kept smelling thins funny smell ... it was like a chinese takeaway ... took us ages to find out that it was the (new) nappy bags that had 'matured'!!! (lol) :D

Mel B - 2008-05-15 10:02 PM

We bought some scented nappy bags to clear up our doggies ... er ... you know what. Didn't need them straight away as still using up some other bags so put them in the drawers in the small bedroom, a few days later we kept smelling thins funny smell ... it was like a chinese takeaway ... took us ages to find out that it was the (new) nappy bags that had 'matured'!!! (lol) :D

yuk

never encountered that - I only get the really really cheap ones - *-)

B-)

Archived