HELP!!!! Tyres

Copperknob

Hi,

I have a 2002 Autosleeper Gatcombe on a VW T4 & I need new tyres. The ones fitted originally are Kleber CT200, which I believe are replaced by Kleber Transpro, but the only place I can find these locally are ATS & they are, I think, rather expensive.

Ideally, I would like to fit Camper tyres but I haven't yet found any in my size, which is 195/70R 15C with a 104/102 load rating.

Does anyone out there know of any in that size please?

If there are no Camper tyres available to me can anyone, perhaps with a Gatcombe, suggest a good alternative?

Has anyone got views, good or bad, on the Continental Vanco 2?

I remember when we were members of the ASOC reading reports of members having blow-outs on the rear with Continentals. That is 5 or 6 years ago though & I think they were mostly on Sevel based m/h's. I wonder if anyone still experiences this.

At the moment Kwikfit have an offer on Continentals but another tyre fitting firm told me the tread cracks on these & recommended the Firestone Vanhawk. Another possibility is perhaps a new tyre on the market, the BF Goodrich Activan.

As you can imagine I am in a real quandary as to which way to go.

HELP!!!!!! Any you can give me will be gratefully received.

Copperknob

Google in Tyre Shopper and look at what they have to offer. They offer your sizes in a variety of makes and in your load ratings. Very keen prices including balance/ valves/ and carcase disposal.

I have just looked on the Pirelli website &, as I suspected, they do not do my size. Thanks anyway Rowan Lee.

Thanks also to Chas.

I know there are many makes of van tyre available to fit but I was hoping for a recommendation (or otherwise) based on someone's first hand experience.

Hi Dave,

I would imagine they were developed specifically for motorhomes so I'm guessing there must be SOME benefit (perhaps the sidewalls stand up better to the rigours of "standing" for prolonged periods while not being used). That is only a guess on my part though. Perhaps I am wrong. It appears they are not made in the size I require anyway so can you recommend a good commercial tyre please?

The problem I have with tyres is that the side walls crack before the tread shows any real sign of wear, due to doing a fairly low milage, although I think I'm doing all I can to help by covering the wheels to prevent the sun getting to them & moving the 'van on occasion when not in use.

I have visited several tyre dealers & they all recommend a different make of tyre, leaving me more than a little confused. Hence my question here, in the hope that someone will recommend (or otherwise) a tyre based on their personal experience.

Thanks

C

As I understand it "camper" tyres are simply over engineered to tolerate the abuse that many motorhomes give their tyres, being continually fully laden if not actually overloaded for example. I use a decent brand of commercial tyre on my motorhome but then I know what it weighs and that standard commercial tyres can take that load. I opted for M&S pattern front tyres and immediately noticed an improvement in traction in wet road conditions over my previous tyres.

Many motorhome tyres die of old age well before they wear out and six years is the reccomended maximum life of a tyre.

D.

rupert123:

Regarding your statement that "Camper tyres do have a differant sidewall construction". That's worth knowing - perhaps you could explain what the difference is please? I remember asking Continental(UK) some time ago what advantages might be gained by choosing a VancoCamper 'camping' tyre over an equivalent size 'commercial' Vanco 10 and not getting a definitive answer.

The tyre-test data on the website referred to above need to be treated with a degree of caution, as the information is now 6 years old and several of the tyre patterns involved will have been superseded by now or won't be suitable for lighter motorhomes.

Hi,

In the May edition of Camping Car Magazine there is an article on a new Michelin Agilis Camping tyre in the following sizes: 215/70R15 : 225/70R15:225/65R16: 195/75R16:215/75R16:225/75R16. I think these tyres will replace the old Michelin camping which do not have the best grip in wet weather or in mud and snow.

The tyres have the additional letters CP in the designation and it according to the magazine this indicates that the tyres are adapted to the designated use; ie camping car and for the occasional overload and severe use!! I am a firm believer in "camping" tyres as my van usually operates at or near maximum load and Michelin well understand that a lot of vans are in fact overloaded, have a look in this months MMM and David Lloyd's comment on the payload on the Chauson Alegro 93 which would be overloaded in normal use if carrying four people never mind all the things one needs. It's all very well pretending that people will stay within their payload capacity; Michelin are realists and know better.

Bill Ord

Hi Copperknob- You would like reccomendations of tyres , well we have Goodyear Cargo G26 in the same size you need, they were fitted from new having the van 3years ago, have only done 9000 miles but they are as good as when first fitted, and will easily last for this 6year change period, and are marketed at a keen price imo.

We also changed to Goodyear Cargo G26 tyres after a recomendation from Don Madge and have been completely satisfied with them. As the previous poster has said they are very competatively priced ans I am impressed with the flat even wear over the whole tyre, I also expect them to last until their age requires a change.

Bas

Archived