Vehicle insurance

Don Madge

We got the renewal for the family car today.

The car is a 2006 Renault Megane Scenic Dynamic DCI 130 it's in Maureen's name and with three named drivers the premium is £349.87 that's with 75.2% Protected No Claims Discount with a £200 excess.

This is with Frizzells through the CSMA.

I decided to do a check on line at http://www.gocompare.com and got a quote from Liverpool Victoria (who own Frizzells) for £207.41 for exactly the same cover. That's a saving of £142.46.

Regards

Don

Have spoken to LV with very interesting results.

LV have changed their policies this year. The new policy does not include foreign use, courtesy car etc as standard. However, if you add all these extras on it still comes out cheaper (£70+) than the existing policy which is the one you have been invited to renew. Apparently the new policy has been rated by the underwriters differently from the old policy.

Once I had explained that I had got a quote from LV online the adviser fished it out and agreed that I could take that if I wanted and eventually agreed, that in essence, the cover was the same. I will be checking this out before making a decision particularly as Direct Line, Morethan etc are much the same price as the online quote.

Being a fully paid up member of Cynics Anon I am just a little p*ssed at what I consider sharp practice although it's not illegal.

An interesting article and website for matter financial is -

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/your-money/insurance/2008/04/22/the-easiest-car-insurance-trick.aspx

So it pays to 'caveat emptor' and where you experience it to 'carpe jugulum' if possible. Which reminds me that Terry Pratchett is to be a guest on BBC1 One Show this week.

Just a note to Fred - also being a yokel you will know that we are careful folk not giving to p*ssing it against the wall for the 'ell of it, we leave that to others less careful than ourselves.

:-) :-) :-)

Just a note to Fred - also being a yokel you will know that we are careful folk not giving to p*ssing it against the wall for the 'ell of it, we leave that to others less careful than ourselves.

:-) :-) :-)

if yous reads my fred again net, i think thats the same point as us was trying to make.

none for them and all for us my biddy.

federalfred

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed the insurance on the car and saved enough to book a return ferry crossing for next week and have enough left over to partake of a coffee or 2 onboard.

The ferry crossings are both midday.

It definitely pays to keep an eye on these costs.

;-)

Archived