insuring a car as well as Motorhome

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

at the moment my 60% protected no claims bonus is on the van. my wife has the car in her name and me as a second driver.

my daughter is 17 next month so my plan is to sell the car and buy a likle one that they can share and buy another for myself.

Problem is as my bonus is on van and getting silly quaotes for the second car.

any one have an idea how to get around this.

I have the same problem. Apparently there are some companies which will actually acknowledge the fact that you have full no claims on another vehicle and give you the discount (or sometimes two years' discount) on the second vehicle. I can't find out which one it is. :-(

However, Confuseddotcom may be able to help you with the best quotation.

It's really frustrating - I have been driving for over forty years without any convictions or claims arising from 'my fault' and yet I get a maximum of five years with ONE vehicle. Try confused.com.

Hi Judge

We had the same problem but in reverse, or least ways all our vehicles were insured in my name with my wife as name (though on one the main) driver, all vehicles with full no claims bonus. We then decided that my wife should have one under her own insurance in her name and we tried all ways with most companies and the best deal we got was two years consession bonus on a new policy with Direct Line. So good luck I hope you can get a better outcome than us but have no better suggestion.

One suggestion I have just thought of, could you change your insurance from the motorhome to a car using the full no claims and then re-insure the motorhome with one of the companies that mirrors your 'car' insurance?

You should be able to do that on the same day to give continuity of insurance.

Bas

When we were at motorhome show we spoke to a few insurers as our m/h is due & were pleasantly surprised that some of them were offering a 60% "discount" if you had full no claims on your other vehicle. Next year they would reduce the discount as our no claims bonus built up. Safeguard was one I remember

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks everyone!

after a few more calls and speaking to someone with a bit more experience at safeguard and direct line *-)

I can shift my no claims to new car with direct line and safeguard will give me a bonus of 60% ( what I have at moment) BUT I loose my no claims on the motorhome..... 8-)

what do you think the risk in this is?

Or...... leave camper as is. wife insurers big car in her name (me as second driver) the cost of this is the same for both of us if I use my no claims.

AND I insure small car with the 2 years I have with direct line from being on her policy.......

that sounds OK'ish ( £500) until I add my daughter (17 in June)

when it jumps to an eye watering £1900 :-|

If I take first option, and wife insures small car (with her full bonus) a more reasonable quote is £1000 with daughter.....

I am sure it was not this complicated or as expensive when I turned 17! lol

Our M/H is insured with SAGA and we've just purchased a small car and I get the full NCB on both vehicles, I think several other companies also operate this system, I thought Direct Line did but not 100% sure. Another benefit of the saga policy is that if you purchase a new car you get free 'gap' cover for two years.

Hope this helps

Don

Judge its not that complicated why are you insuring your daughter in her own right at 17 ??

My daughter drives mine gaining as a named driver her own no claims

When I give her the car she can take it over in her own name minus her no claims that she has built up . whole insurance with Direct Line is £450 now my son was added yesterday age 17 and it has gone up to 6 something thats better even with by racers under 18 isnt it ?? he isnt a boy racer but thats what they think .

Guest JudgeMental

I am not insuring her on own policy, just as named driver with wife on small car, and as you say she will build up her own no claims as well.

difference with cost of quotes is probably that we live in London *-)

There are some companies nowadays that will allow you to have NCB on two or more cars without building it up sepperatly, the problem we had getting 4th car with NCB was that at time none of these would insure camper and car, in the end used RAC as we are members and gf has car insured with them with me as named so they gave me I think at time 50%.

The problem you have seems more that insurance companies will bump up insurance when you put on young driver, they view this as a bigger risk.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2008-05-12 8:07 PM

There are some companies nowadays that will allow you to have NCB on two or more cars without building it up seperatly,

can anyone suggest company's that allow these mirror policies?

I will start with Saga and Confuseddotcom

Guest JudgeMental

Saga will mirror your policy completely including your no claims protected if you insure both car and van with them.

wish I had thought about this before renewing policy with Safeguard (who do not do this) last month..... *-)

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2008-05-13 12:15 PM

Saga will mirror your policy completely including your no claims protected if you insure both car and van with them.

wish I had thought about this before renewing policy with Safeguard (who do not do this) last month..... *-)

tried using: http://www.gocompare.com which was recommended by Don Madge on Motorhome Today forum. The quotes for car only are competitive. But oddly the SAGA quote for car on this site was £200 less then I got on the phone yesterday directly with Saga - I even said to the chap that it seemed expensive! *-)

P.S. just looked at site again and part of the reason internet quote is cheaper. Excess is £350 as opposed to £200, no breakdown cover and no legal assistance cover.....

Guest JudgeMental
rossko - 2008-05-14 12:55 PM

Safeguard were the company at Peterborough who were offering 60% to match existuing NCB!!!!!!

Yes I know I am with them, but they do not mirror "protected bonus" Saga and others do.....

Archived