dogs and motorhomes

jack russell

Anyone got any tips for dog-proofing a motorhome? Hoping to purchase our first mmotorhome soon and have small dog (guess which breed!) who will be coming with us. Any tips/experiences gratefully received.

PS we are sticking to Britain for our first Summer of motorhoming. Thanks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have a king charles and take great care. At night she goes into her cage under the table. we never leave her alone , just in case, her feet are wiped when she comes in, and we always have 2 mats, one just inside the door and one outside. Honey(the dog not the wife) does'nt always come along pending on forcast.

Hi, suzie su and Amy just love travelling make sure yours is secured in dog cage/kennell/bed, before starting off. If we have to leave them, because we are in spain, leave air condtion on. they just love making new doggy friends and all knew sniffs are so exciting, keep regular feed times. happy travels.

Again not sure what you mean - see first response to you.

Do you mean protecting the motorhome or protecting the dog.

If the first then my Llasso and my daughter's mongrel have always seemed to accept my motorhome as they do a house so there has been no problem ... no fouling, no chewing and they are happy to be left for a while in it (but I always put the alarm on as I would hate anyone to take them).

If the latter, then alarm comment fits, leave plenty of water and air ways in roof windows. He may only be little but a sign on the door 'Beware of Dog' might protect him as he could be a rockweiller with a cough :-S

You also might like to get a doggy seat belt attachment as my dog loves to sit on the front passenger seat ... I will try and attach a photo but the server not working at the moment. Joy

As Roon said - they see our van as just an extension of the house. Both dogs have adapted to it very quickly. We bought a small piece of extending garden trellis to put across the door, so we can leave the door open and keep the dog indoors, if they aren't tied up outside. Neither have shown any distress or discomfort travelling on the ferries. Just another odd feeling to them.

Firm believer in them joining our family so they do what we do. What ever you do it's got to be better than leaving them behind (with family!), especially if it's in kennels

Thanks for the practical tips. What I meant by dog-proofing just meant any minor nibbling and jumping on seats with muddy paws. Also the issue of going out and leaving them for short periods e.g. if we went for a bite to eat that didn't accept dogs. Lots of these queries have been answered by your replies but any other new tips are welcome. Totally agree that dog is part of the family so that's one major reason why motorhoming appeals. Look forward to any further advice. Jack Russell

Hi Jack Russell, A new tip I have just decided on (re muddy paws on seats) if you have a B & M near you - for 99p you can get a pack of THREE quite strong white paper tablecloths ... I have just bought a supply so I can cover my seats if I have to leave my dog(s) alone when they are a bit muddy or smelly. Joy

Hi jack (hope that's not being too forward using your first name)

Our setas are always covered with throws and there is a dog towel just inside the door.

You mention that you are limiting yourself to the UK and the following website with lots of information on dog friendly (and unfriendly) places to visit may be of interest:

http://www.dogfreindlybritain.co.uk/

Enjoy the hobby, David

Loads of great info and links - thanks so much! For Tomo's info the clue is in the fact the dog is tough, loving and bouncy - poodle it is not! How do other people find pubs etc - are they generally ok with a small, cute dog under the table? Jack

Dog proofing:

I made covers to fit on our dinette seats that can be taken off to wash and put back on again, they are made from a polyester type material so that if I need to I can take them off when away, give them a quick rinse through and they dry in no time, the also have a bit of stretch in the material so they are a nice tight fit. This has the benefit that if the dogs have a little go at 'nesting' they won't be able to pull them off! For the cab, I originally made covers for previous vans but they are horrible to make to get a good fit so now we buy the waterproof seatcovers (£10 for a set of 2) which can be secured easily, saves dirty paw marks and can be easily removed if necessary. If you don't like sitting on the plastic just put a throw on top (secure at the back of the headrest by a peg for a temporary measure or sew on some cords/ribbons to tie it in place).

I also removed the ... removable carpet! I replaced this with some of those absorbant cotton twill type rubber backed mats, the type you often see for sale at shows, which absorb damp and moisture quickly so you don't get the dogs pottering in with dirty feet. These are really good but you do have to pay a bit for them but they last for ages and can be machine washed. We've had them for years and they really are worth the cost (be careful there are some crappy imitations out there). Alternatively just get one good mat and then put down some cheaper runners, B&Q do a very good cheap one for about £7 or so, and they can easily be taken out to clean on campsites - a good bashing usually does the job. Baby wipes are good for wiping muddy dog paws and save having dirty wet towels hanging around!

Make sure you always put the fridge securing clip on when you go out, our cross Jack Russell can open just about anything!

Make sure you take plenty of dog toys - don't leave a favourite at home otherwise they'll look for mischief to make. When we first got motorhomes, we used to take the dog bed etc from home but now have ones specifically that 'live' in the camper, including toys etc. To get your dog used to your new 'van, let him/her potter in and out during the day(s) as much as possible before your trips away, that way he/she will see it as just an extension of your home and assuming your little doggie behaves at home normally he/she should respect it in the same way.

If you have dog chews and the like don't put them in a low cupboard or drawer, put them in one of the top lockers so that they are out of reach and the dog isn't tempted to scratch at the cupboard door to get to them.

When you leave your little monster, er, sweetie-pie, in the 'van made sure he/she has plenty of water, pull up the blinds on the side where the sun comes in - don't put them all up around the van as it can make them nervous if they can't see out.

Mel, this is really useful stuff - all very in tune with my own poooch which is... surprise surprise... also a Parson Jack Russell cross. We are going to a motorhome show in June so will look in the sundries stalls for the things you recommend.

Have you travelled with your dog abroad? We are thinking of doing this next Summer once she is vaccinated for the trip which my vet tells me needs to be started at least 6 months in advance. Remembering my last trip to Italy, we saw 2 pugs contentedly being fed underneath the table at one restaurant! Hope this is the case generally! Thanks for the help you've given, Jack

Hello again Jack

Your vet is quite right you will need to think at least six months in advance of going abroad to ensure the micro chipping, vaccinations and, most importantly, blood testing (results) are all in place. Technically, you can take the dog out now or as soon after the vaccinations have been done BUT - you can't bring them back into the country until six months have elapsed after the test results have prooved positive. Al the information you need is on this site:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

You will find France a much more dog friendly nation and, whilst I am mindful that dogs (or rather, neglectful dog owners) can cause problems in certain circumstances, I still take offence when we are thrown out of establishments like ironmongers in this country!!

Occasionally, we have found the odd cafe that has let us take our King Charles in (providing other customers don't object) when it has been extremely foul weather to sit out in but these are few and far between in this country - despite the fact that there is an obscure law (created at the time of King Charles) that allows the King Charles Cavalier Spaniel access to any part of the realm. We keep saying we will start using that one day!!

David

We are taking our Chihuahua abroad for the first time in June and were looking forward to being allowed to eat inside instead of like outcastes outside :-S but I suggest you look up the Dog Friendly Pub guide which you can Google it gives places in this Country that will let you take you little monsters :-D inside. have a happy holiday wherever you go and a gate is a good idea to stop him going walkabouts and you need a metal corkscrew to put in the ground so you can tie him up. My Son has a Parsons Jack Russell and he has a lovely personality he puts up with my 20month Chi jumping all over him.

And I would like to ban all children from campsite for kicking their balls etc onto other people's pitches/vans and running around making a noise ... but of course that would penalise the majority of children who DON'T do that, so I won't. 8-)

Puzzled - 2008-05-13 6:32 PM

All dogs should be banned from campsites. All too often I watch dogs being allowed do their business on other pitches on sites. >:-(

NOT MY DOG YOU DONT >:-) and I dont know which cheap camp sites you visit but I havent seen dog muck in any we go to I have never seen anyone not pick up after their dog and if you are just trying to wind people like me up a word of warning DONT :D :D

Given the really supportive and kindly advice I am getting on this issue, I can't imagine anyone here needing to be responsible about dog mess. So... to move the discussion on, can I ask about vans and re-sale issues if dogs have been enjoying the good life too? Seen lots of ads with 'No smokers or pets' - how do people ensure that the vans they have are as saleable as the ones that are promoting themselves as dog-free zones?

PS have printed out some of the advice to put in our 'dog' folder - it will be very useful and I am looking forward to testing it all out. Jack

Hi-Jack (sorry, I just had to say that!)

Advertising your van an 'no smokers' I can understand as the smell penetrates the fabric, both cloth and cabinets, and you cannot ever get rid of it no matter now much Febreeze you use!

As for 'no pets/dogs', never really understood that one, how would anyone know? Unless you've had a really bad dog that has piddled in it, dug various bits of it up, scratched other bits, then I don't know what difference it makes. Any dog hairs are removable, as are all other signs of dog occupation (beds, seat coverings, muddy carpets etc), so why do people feel the need to put that their van is 'no pets/dogs'? In fact our last van was cleaner than many 'non-dog' vans when we changed it, this was because instead of sitting directly on the seats we had put covers on them to protect the fabric, and used different carpets so the originals were as good as new, etc, etc so it hadn't even had the normal wear and tear/marking etc that you would expect from must human occupation! The only signs that our seats were not new was due to the arm rests on the cab seats fading in the sun!

I would think that a van that is advertised as 'no kids' would be more beneficial as at least you would know it hadn't been crawled all over by some little monsters and, before anyone says otherwise, I know not all kids are little monsters but if you've ever been to a motorhome show and watched what some of the little horrors get up to in the new vans on display you'll understand where I'm coming from!

So long as your dog treats your van the same as he does your home, ie with respect (I assume he does! 8-) ) then why should your van be any less valuable because of it?

Mel B

Archived