dogs and motorhomes

jack russell

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Puzzled - 2008-05-13 6:32 PM

All dogs should be banned from campsites. All too often I watch dogs being allowed do their business on other pitches on sites. >:-(

Forums and readers letters(especially in the Caravan Club Mag.) always attract the 'Rabid' anti-Dog brigade .

Dogs and Motohomes are a perfect Combination !!

Badly Behaved Dogs (owners really !) and Children (parents really !) are always a Pain in the B-m !

I too hate finding 'little Fido's leavings' on a campsite.

I also hate 'Little Tommy' kicking his 'genuine premiership' football into the side of my 'Van. BOTH equally hateful !

Luckily it doesn't happen that often.

:D

Guest JudgeMental

Haven't you any Korean neighbours to leave the likle cutie's with?

They love a good curry :-D

Rayjsj - 2008-05-14 8:24 PM

Puzzled - 2008-05-13 6:32 PM

All dogs should be banned from campsites. All too often I watch dogs being allowed do their business on other pitches on sites. >:-(

Forums and readers letters(especially in the Caravan Club Mag.) always attract the 'Rabid' anti-Dog brigade .

Dogs and Motohomes are a perfect Combination !!

Badly Behaved Dogs (owners really !) and Children (parents really !) are always a Pain in the B-m !

I too hate finding 'little Fido's leavings' on a campsite.

I also hate 'Little Tommy' kicking his 'genuine premiership' football into the side of my 'Van. BOTH equally hateful !

Luckily it doesn't happen that often.

Yes I agree with you on both counts :-S you cant tar everyone with the same brush there are ignorant dog owners that dont pick up !and there are lazy parents that dont keep an eye on their children or wont chastize them, BUT they are in the minority.

Guest JudgeMental
david lloyd - 2008-05-15 11:11 AM

JudgeMental - 2008-05-14 9:16 PM

Haven't you any Korean neighbours to leave the likle cutie's with?

They love a good curry :-D

Hey Judge - you can't say that about litlle children!

A pot of bosintang:

The soup is believed to provide additional virility to those who eat it. Personally I don't suffer from a loss of libido but I am sure a few on her would benefit.

The meat is boiled well together with many kinds of vegetables and seasoning for a long time. The taste is enhanced by the addition of garlic, ginger, Welsh onion, some kinds of herbs, perilla seed, and hot pepper.

sounds absolutely delicious! *-)

230px----------.jpg.0cdce996159e42eb42b8433f4bffb096.jpg

Hi Jack

With regard the question about pubs, we have 3 dogs who travel with us in out van and we hardly ever have a problem finding a pub that will let us in. As has been mentioned, there's a really good website called doggiepubs:

http://www.doggiepubs.org.uk/

However, even if you don't find a pub in the guide in the place you are visiting, it's always worth popping into a bar to ask. Usually, even if they don't allow dogs they'll point you to one that does.

As to the question of resale, we sold our caravan to the first viewers. They didn't have pets but said that out of the caravans they'd seen ours was the most immaculate. Like MelB, we kept our seats and carpets covered - it makes things much easier and you're not constantly worrying about the upholstery being marked.

Good luck with your travels to you and your little dog, I'm sure you'll have a great time - we do.

Regard,

Carol

Thanks for the info and links - am building up a useful set of 'Favourites' to refer to when we finally set off. Good to know that so many motorhomers are dog-friendly and that it is a good way to holiday with the little waggers!

How often do you stop once underway on holiday for doggie walks/relief? Ours usually is not left for more than 3 hours so is used to getting out to do a wee pretty frequently. Is that a problem once en route with a motorhome? Jack

Think you might find he holds on for a bit longer than normal as he is engrossed in the travelling ... or the lull of the van sends him to sleep. I taught Sasha to wee as quickly as possible when I let her out to the command 'Hurry Up' ... not that she always listens to it as she knows as soon as she does, the quick walk/break is over..... ;-)

Hmmmm... after my two pooches locked me out of my m/home this week by pushing up the door handle when I went to put out the rubbish, I'm not so sure taking them with me is such a good idea >:-(

With help from the site wardens, we managed to get a window open with minimal damage, before they dumped me unceremoniously into the 'van.

Apparently someone on site was about to report the nocturnal goings-on to the police (lol)

Great fun isn't it when your dogs lock you out! Romy did it twice to us. The first time we'd just arrived a a CL after a horrendous journey, we'd got out to look for our pitch and our lunatic dog (elephant with long legs!) decided to have a nosey and jumped onto the drivers seat and then onto the door arm rest, promptly putting her great paw on the door locking button, as we had full central locking on that van it meant that not only did the front doors lock but so did the rear caravan door out of which I'd exited! Fortunately the driver's window was down a couple of inches but not enough to be able to reach in to the door handle ... cue the fun and games ...

First obtain a piece of branch which just happens to be lying near by and insert said branch through window and lower towards the door handle.:-D

Then entertaining the dog with a game of 'tug of war', curse and shout at the dog to b*gger off, as it loves this and gets it even more excited with the game! 8o|

Eventually, after the branch has nearly been chewed in half by playful dog, hook the door handle and open the door. :->

Now resist the temptation to turn the dog into a popsickle with the branch!!! >:-)

The second time we did it we were wise to her and had our camper keys with us!!! :D

Dire warnings that need to be heeded here! It's amazing what you find on this forum that you'd never have thought about otherwise. I can well see my little dog doing all this so will be looking for that security handle mentioned - where do you get them? Jack

jack russell - 2008-05-18 10:18 AM

Dire warnings that need to be heeded here! It's amazing what you find on this forum that you'd never have thought about otherwise. I can well see my little dog doing all this so will be looking for that security handle mentioned - where do you get them? Jack

Try Googling Fiamma Caravan Motorhome Security Lock Handle 46. There is a smaller version - size you need depends whether you have a 'barn-door' or a one-piece door.

883508453_fiammadoorlock.jpg.b64ed1e680f8fe081618a71848e94432.jpg

Puzzled, I think we all know by now that you don't like dogs on campsites but as the only dog owners on here are ones who clear up mess from their dogs, your constantly going on about it and saying for us to leave our dogs at home isn't going to have any affect at all.:-S

Our dogs are part of the family and we wouldn't dream of leaving them at home, in kennels, or anywhere else for that matter. Add to this that our dogs are also rescue dogs and if we did leave them they'd fret something terrible as they'd think we'd abandoned them too.:-(

If you have something constructive to add to this thread please do so, but if not, could I please request that you change the record ... it's getting very repetitive. :-D

Being a newcomer to the idea of motorhoming, don't campsites check to see if the occupants have left it tidy and clean? This would apply to anyone and any mess as no matter who or what causes it, the pitch should be checked before the next occupant 'pitches' up. Also have seen that lots of sites have specific dog-walks so even less reason to be irresponsible and more reason to respect most dog-owners try very hard to be communally aware.

J9withdogs - 2008-05-19 5:41 PM

I think that our Mr Puzzled is trying to stir up something smellier than dog-poo *-) :D

Perhaps Mr Puzzled this is a 'Business Opurtunity' ! Open a NO DOGS Caravan/ Motohome Site. I'm sure you would be very happy there, a bit lonely perhaps, as 7 out of 10 motorcaravanners travel with their Dogs.

So perhaps not very lucrative either, just other people with your views about dogs, moaning to each other about ??????? something else.

I hear that there are some sites that don't allow dogs,not many. Don't know if they make a profit ? 'cause i would never go to them anyway.

Archived