Channel Tunnel - overnight stop advice

Mel B

Okay, sorry to post something which I think has been loosely covered before on here but with the search playing up I can't go back more than 1 month at the moment so can't get at it! 8-)

We are due to travel to Folkestone next week and are booked on an early morning train to France (5.20 am), in the past we've always gone by Ferry and have stopped on Dover's Marine Parade so are not adverse to going 'wild'. For Folkestone though we haven't a clue where to stop. As we will have to be at the train for no later than 4.50 am we don't want to stop on a campsite and disturb anyone, simiarly, we don't want to be miles and miles away and have to drive for ages.

We'll probably get there around 10.30 pm - can anyone suggest anywhere we could stop for a few hours?

If we can get on the train on the night time then we will probably do that and stop somewhere in France, but assuming we can't for whatever reason, all suggestions for a UK stop would be much appreciated! :->

Hi, We have travelled the tunnel alot in the last year and to be honest we would just go chance our arm what ever time we got there, you will probably find yourselves in France by 11pm. They tend to just put you on the next train available especially if it is a quiet time of the day. We got on last year 24 hours early with no extra cost, we have never travelled at our alloted time and never been asked to pay. I know there have been people who have been asked to pay but I think it is the luck of the draw.

They will offer you a choice and it could be in a couple of minutes/hours or just the normal time booked so you don't have alot to loose.

There was one occasion we where offered a 4am slot but declined and took our 7am instead, we then spent the night in the car park there, had a couple of coaches pass by in the night but that was all, very quiet otherwise. People will come along and tell you you can't get there more than 2 hours before your time but we know you can so maybe we are just naughty :-|

Good luck with it, we love it as a way to travel with no sickness and into France in no time.

Mandy

Guest JudgeMental

what date are you traveling? If you look again at tunnel booking availability and space is showing up for that evening, then I am pretty sure they will let you travel. It is probably in same price band any way.....

if there are no trains running if you arrive say, in the middle of night booking in is probably automatic. so just swipe credit card for ID & go into car park and settle down - don't forget the alarm clock *-)

when you get out other side there is a garage with lorry park just outside terminal - not sure if you can stay there.... or I believe you can stop at coach park in city de Europe which is nearby

Personally we always drive down to la Touquet and stay on one of the Aires

where are you heading :-D

Hi Judge

We go out on the 5.20 am on Friday morning (23 May), with luck we might get there 10.00/10.30 pm on Thursday and get across then, but if not we'll have to find somewhere to kip down for a few hours near Folkestone ... as it is we'll end up having to get up around 4.15 am to get the dogs sorted (tiddle stop) and check in so don't want to then have much of a drive to get there!

Now I wonder how many alarms my hubby will set to make sure we're not late .... 2 x mobile phones, 1 x radio controlled alarm, 1 x normal alarm ..... etc etc etc....... :D

Guest JudgeMental

just had a look and last one still available the night before is 8.20 which is probably to early for you..... maybe best to stay folkstone as you say.

But as you are driving past anyway, I would try as I suggested and use the automated service you may get in.... also when no trains running normally only auto service available anyway

We are away the 23rd in the evening 11.00 only booked today, just as well as when I looked for you there was no more availability for the Friday night. *-)

enjoy yourselves :-D

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2008-05-15 11:38 PM

Hey Judge see you there ours is 10to 10 ... :D

should I put the kettle on :D

Yes for sure! lol - ours is 10 to 11

where are you heading?

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2008-05-16 7:48 AM

NO clue honestly not a clue where ever we want guess what

CAUSE WE CAN :D :D

Mmm... .I bet its Le Touquet :-D

Mel B - 2008-05-13 10:16 PM

Okay, sorry to post something which I think has been loosely covered before on here but with the search playing up I can't go back more than 1 month at the moment so can't get at it! 8-)

We are due to travel to Folkestone next week and are booked on an early morning train to France (5.20 am), in the past we've always gone by Ferry and have stopped on Dover's Marine Parade so are not adverse to going 'wild'. For Folkestone though we haven't a clue where to stop. As we will have to be at the train for no later than 4.50 am we don't want to stop on a campsite and disturb anyone, simiarly, we don't want to be miles and miles away and have to drive for ages.

We'll probably get there around 10.30 pm - can anyone suggest anywhere we could stop for a few hours?

If we can get on the train on the night time then we will probably do that and stop somewhere in France, but assuming we can't for whatever reason, all suggestions for a UK stop would be much appreciated! :->

Hi we usualy stop a few hours and have done over night at the superstore at junc 10 just before the tunnel and it is allways been ok nobody has ever bothered us and its open 24hrs so if you need any late shopping before crossing it passes the time,

Archived