Coaxial to AV cable - do they exist?

snobbyafghan

Co axial will usually carry RF (Radio Frequencies) or the signal from the antenna or other source. It may also be used for other signals like the Audio Video signals.

BUT the single core coax cannot carry the AV signal (not without some electronics), you would need two coax cables.

What do you want to do?

Geoff

My TV in the MH only has input for red/yellow/white plugs which I thought were called AV connections (is that right?). This is fine for connection to the portable satellite system. However, if I wanted to connect to the sockets provided at, for example, some Caravan Club sites, I need to be able to use a coaxial connection at one end and the red/yellow/white connection at the other. Is there any way to do this?

Doug

Doug

I believe the 3 coloured coax input sockets are:

White-left audio

Red-right audio

Yellow-composite video (the picture)

I've never used a TV socket on site but if it is a single Coax then it is probably an "aerial" type socket (RF).

Connect this to the aerial input of your TV and tune in to the available stations.

The only other common type of video connection is the Euro Scart plug (the big rectangular multi-connection plug). This contains a number of different types of audio/video connections in a single plug/socket and normally used for connecting external devices such as satellite and freeview decoders, DVD players etc to your TV (composite video and audio connections form part of the Scart standard) .

If your TV only has white/red/yellow inputs then I suspect you will need something like a Freeview receiver with aerial input to give a suitable output to your TV (in which case it is not really a TV but a simple monitor). A TV will have an aerial input and an inbuilt tuner.

Clive

Sounds very much like you don't have a tv but a monitor, if this is the case as mentioned above you need some type of decoder, like your sat system or a freeview, but have a good look at back some tv's have an arial input that looks very much like the earphone socket of a walkman etc.

Can you post make and model, someone may have similier to advise you.

Actually, I should have looked closer. The input to the TV is a single plug (jackplug?) and there is a cable provided that has a jack plug on one end and the 3 coloured sockets on the other. So what I really need is a cable with a coaxial on one end a single jack on the other. Does that make more sense?

It is a TV :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99271&DOY=15m5

- it has digital and analogue reception but the piddly little "antena" is not likely to work on many sites (it doesn't even work at home). I mainly want to use it with the Lidl sat system and it does work fine with that but I just thought that there may be occasions when there was a convenient hook-up at some sites and it would save setting up the sat system.

Thanks for your help so far, everyone. It's close to embarrassing to be so ignorant of these matters.. :-(

Doug

This appears to be a TV with a built-in "free to view" system. It says it comes complete with a digital aerial, if you want to use a campsite's tv hookup then all you will need is ordinary co-axial cable with normal TV plugs on either end. Does the set have an aerial input as on a normal domestic TV set?

I don't know if any campsites in the UK have upgraded to Digital as yet but the last time we had a TV hookup was in Cumbria and the site provided cable for us for a small fee of course.

colin - 2008-05-15 8:32 PM

Looking at manual, I think you need to pull out arial, It looks like the whole arial is removable

Colin

You've got it - the telescopic aerial pulls out completely, revealing - a coaxial socket that a cable will plug directly into with a normal coax plug. Brilliant - thanks everyone - job done.

Doug

Archived