Fiat Ducato and Sat-Navs

manwithvan

Just bought a 2008 camper on Fiat Ducato. All seemed pretty good until I plugged in the sat-nav. The cigarette lighter socket is much bigger than the sat-nav plug so it won't stay connected. The sat-nav is standard and fits the socket in the car OK.

I've tried the local motor shops for an adaptor but there aren't any.

Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it?

Thanks

The problem is that there is no set standard for ciggy lighter plugs and sockets, there can be a variation in diameter of up to 4mm. obviously if your plug is at the smaller end of the scale and the socket is at the larger end it won't stay in place. A good solution would be to replace the plug and socket with the DIN type as provided by Roadpro (other suppliers are available ;-)) because these do have a standard size and a positive fit inot the socket is assured.

D.

Thanks for the information.

I find it surprising that there is no standard for this item.

I've made a temporary fix using a wooden clothes peg, the type with 2 pieces connected with a spring. One piece of this will wedge the satnav plug in place.

I'll look into a more suitable arrangement later.

• 2 years later...

I don't get this one at all!

My standard orange phone charger and TomTom power plugs fit in the ducato 12v and lighter sockets without any problems. I have a fridge and other devices that came with a small plug and large plug adaptor and never have any issues fitting those either. I use the same kit in a scudo van as well, so that kind of rules out any peculiarity in both Fiat and Peugeot vehicles so I can only surmise that the power plugs from your devices are the odd ones, not the sockets in the vehicles.

If you really have to, you can remove the socket from your van and fit one from Halfords (or similar) after first checking that your devices fit it. Auto electrical outlets that stock Hella parts would be my first choice.

Nick

PS There is also some scope to bend the spring clips on the side of your plugs so that they are wider and give a more snug fit.

The standard for European cars gives the sizes as:

Receptacle inside diameter: 21.41 - 21.51 mm (median 21.455 mm)

Plug body diameter: 21.13 - 21.33 mm (median 21.18 mm)

I've not had any problems with my X250, 3 different mobile phone charges, 2 different inverters, a couple DC laptop supplies, Navman & new Garmin sat nav's all fit both sockets OK.

I have exactly same problem on my van. I bought a 4 slot adapter which takes phone, satnav and dash fan and the plug from this fits the socket ok-occasionally will bounce out on really rough terrain or those damned speed ripples but that could be down to my driving

Mike

My old Garmin plug wobbled all over the place in either dash socket in my Ducato based Murvi. and I fixed it with a bit of Gaffa tape wrapped round it.

My new Garmin 1490T 's plug fits OK !!

By the way whilst my old Garmin 2810 stuggled to recieve through the coated windcreen and needed an extenion arial, the 1490 is much more sensative and has no problem at all , even works in the back with all the blinds down. (no I don't try to drive like that!!)

john

Archived