12 volt sky receiver

tonyfletcher

Hi Everyone,

We had a holiday in France the week before last and as it was the last footy match of the season I took the Sky box with us. I ran it on an inverter and just about saw what I needed to see. It draws quite alot of power via the inverter.

Is there such a thing ? - A 12 Volt Sky Receiver? and if so, who sells them?

The Free-Sat 12 volt system I have hardly draws any current and can use it all night if required

Cheers

Tony

Tony I have just googled this to see if anything came up ..... all kinds of things came up like Sky 12v Digibox and what have you ....but I am really thick on anything electrical :-( so didn't know if these were the same thing.

There seems to be a company called Skytronic which has all kinds of 12v items. It might be worth youGoogling them and doing the contact us button to ask what they can come up with.

Sorry can't be of more use. Joy

I have a 12v Pace dsn430? this came off an ebay seller, there was a batch converted to run directly off 12v, haven't tested the current draw compared to running my standard dsn430+invertor, but I wouldn't have thought there was a lot in it.

Looking at my feedback I think he is no longer a ebay seller.

There is another alternative to get a Pace 1000, also called javelin, but these are £90 secondhand on ebay.

Hi Tony,

You can use your Sky card in another Sky box such as the Pace Javelin model 1000, providing you contact Sky with new box details, they will authorise it. You can only have one box activated with the same card.

It is possible to pay another £10 or so a month and have two cards activated on the same expensive sky package, but Sky will ask you to keep both boxes connected to the phone line, in order to establish that you haven't passed the additional card and box onto another household.

An additional box also means either an addtional dish or a dual LNB to your existing dish. As a matter of interest, although both boxes should be connected to the phone lines, in practice removing one box or the only box into the motorhome for a couple of months is not detected by sky I found.

Regards Terry

Try Robert Jackson, 12 Denby Lane, Grange Moor, Wakefield WF4 4ED. He supplies and fits satellite TV systems using 12 volt SKY boxes. He may be prepared to supply you with a box on its own. Also ssupplies the remote control receiver. Mobile number 07801 843332. Advert on page 279 of June MMM

The Pace 1000 (Javelin) has a max 1.5amp current draw which is a bit less than our 230v box running from an inverter. n.b. Sky boxes continue to use a fair bit of current even when switched off (standby) as only the A/V is turned off and the receiver part continues to work. Although it is a pain waiting for the EPG to reload after a power down it is still a good idea to disconnect the power when the box is not in use and you are running on batteries only.

The Pace 1000 is no longer in production but there are still a few available (mainly recon) around. Some other boxes were "converted" to run on 12v but they merely had an inverter placed inside which means they were just as economical with the battery power as a standard sky box running from an external inverter.

Sky cards will work in other sky boxes except for the premium channels (movies and Sport).

Hi ,Ive just bought from LIDL for £65 a FREE to AIR sat dish ,receiver ,remote control ,all cables in fact all you need to receive FREE satelite tv in a smart plastic suitcase type case .It is 12 volt or mains and has all the cables etc required.I set it up last weekend and it worked really well,Ive seen the kit in use as far South as Benicassim in Spain so I know it works in Europe as well. Cheers Malc. (lol)

Archived