Making mobile phone calls abroad

Mel B

Hi guys and gals

Nearly time for our European shin-dig and one thing I'm not sure of is what to do to dial phone numbers when abroad. We rarely, until recently, used mobile phones and in case we need to make calls I thought I'd better ask you clever lot what to do as I'm sure it's easy peasy and it's just me being thick. :D

To call the UK from, say, France, Holland etc, I know I use the UK national dialling code but drop the usual first 0 and instead dial the international code for the UK which is 0044 then the rest of the number.

What I'm not clear on is what to do if I want to call a number in the same country? Last year we tried in vain to ring a vet - we were in France and trying to dial the number of a vet in France on our mobile but couldn't get it to work. We eventually managed to get a tourist info office to ring for us but I don't want to have to rely on their goodwill or try to use a payphone when we've got perfectly good mobile phones!

So, please, oh knowledgeable ones ... how do you do it?

Oh, nearly forgot, we put our mobile numbers on our dog's collars so that whilst we're on holiday abroad, if they get lost we can be contacted, but what code should I put on the tags for say, someone in France to call us in France?????

:-D 8-)

Guest JudgeMental

and buy a local phone card!

Roaming rates for mobiles are outrageous, we only use when we have to.....

always put mine on call divert as soon as we get on the ferry, and just use texting facilities, [which are also overpriced >:-( ]

your mobile number is still tied to the UK - so you should use the full code each time you use it - back to the UK or within the country you're in. Presumably it bounces back to the UK and out again - virtually at least - that's how they charge anyway.

NOTE: you also pay to receive calls - so put yours on divert and if you're going to be there for any length of time - get a new SIM card - there were several web sites discussing the various options - try Google - if I find anything I'll post a link on here

B-)

Theoretically, you only need to dial the number you require locally together with the area code.

It dosnt hurt to include the international code but you must omit the zero(0) of the area code.

ie. When I (with a dutch mobile)am in London, I can dial 020-123456 or 004420123456. Thats the international code with the area zero removed.

Your call dosnt go via the uk when you are calling out but does when you are calling in.

In other words If I ring your mobile and you are in Holland, I will get charged the call to your mobile in the UK and you will get charged from the UK to (in this case) Holland.

If you travel a lot, it is easier to put all your numbers, including your local ones, in with a "+" instead of the 00. ie. +4420123456.

That way nomatter where you are in the world, all your stored numbers will always work.

Hope this helps, but as the others have warned, check your provider as some as very expensive, if fact according to Watchdog SMS can be more expensive than voice calls.

I have just found out that although the 'roaming' costs for speech have been forced down by Offcom you need to check that your provider has switched you to a cheaper tariff for 'roaming' as it has been left as an 'opt in' by the watchdog and certain providers are taking advantage of that, ours certainly has.

Also Herri is quite correct that texting (SMS) is still unregulated and some of those can cost as much as phoning.

My own opinion is that you are far better to get a United Mobile sim

https://www.united-mobile.com/?

as that is the same charge (for Europe 0.29 Euro/min to phone UK) within the three zones anywhere in the world and more importantly it is FREE to recieve calls.

Bas

Mobile companies have been told by government to reduce SMS charges or face regulation, their reply has been we will reduce charges without regulation, same as they said about voice charges, just goes to show sometimes we need extra regulation :-S

Interestingly government believes 'normal' SMS message to cost up to 10p, just goes to show they don't know thier @rse from thier elbow, as a lot of pay as you go SMS are 12p

Mel B - 2008-05-18 9:12 PM Hi guys and gals Nearly time for our European shin-dig and one thing I'm not sure of is what to do to dial phone numbers when abroad. We rarely, until recently, used mobile phones and in case we need to make calls I thought I'd better ask you clever lot what to do as I'm sure it's easy peasy and it's just me being thick. :D To call the UK from, say, France, Holland etc, I know I use the UK national dialling code but drop the usual first 0 and instead dial the international code for the UK which is 0044 then the rest of the number. What I'm not clear on is what to do if I want to call a number in the same country? Last year we tried in vain to ring a vet - we were in France and trying to dial the number of a vet in France on our mobile but couldn't get it to work. We eventually managed to get a tourist info office to ring for us but I don't want to have to rely on their goodwill or try to use a payphone when we've got perfectly good mobile phones! So, please, oh knowledgeable ones ... how do you do it? Oh, nearly forgot, we put our mobile numbers on our dog's collars so that whilst we're on holiday abroad, if they get lost we can be contacted, but what code should I put on the tags for say, someone in France to call us in France????? :-D 8-)

Mel

If using your mobs abroad then you may need the following info.

Even if you're say in France - and you want to dial the local number- you will still need to put in the country code as well as the area code for the number you wish to dial.

So in France you'll need (+33), Holland (+31), then followed by the area code - minus the 1st zero - then the number you wish to call.

On your dog's collar, then your mobile phone still needs to contain the UK dialing code  ( +44) then your number minus the 1st 0. So (01234 567899) becomes (+441234 567899).

Hope this helps, but also make sure you are on the correct "roaming" tarrif from your service provider.

Thai

Thanks guys ... managed to finally find some info on the phone website which is slightly different from some of the above. We've on the '3' network so whether that makes a difference I don't know, anyway:

To dial the UK, either a landline or a UK mobile, from France for example, I have to put in the UK code 0044, drop the 0 of the normal national (or mobile) number (ie Hull is 01482) so that would be 00441482 .....

To dial a French landline number for a voice call when in France from my mobile I just dial the area code NOT the international code, however if I want to TEXT a French number, I have to use the international code! Confusing innit!!!! 8-)

What I need to sort out is turning voicemail off so that we don't get charged to check on messages whilst abroad ... especially if someone has got hold of our number and is trying to sell us something!!!!

When we get abroad I'll do a bit of experimenting and see what happens ... best to know in case I need to use the phone in an emergency isn't it.

cronkle - 2008-05-20 3:39 PM Thai Bry This is new to me as well- we try to avoid phones when away. Does it mean that my phone thinks it is in the UK and so when I phone home it is still an '0' prefix.

Hi Cronkle

Yes is the simple answer really.

So if phoning home then it's (+44) followed by the UK number minus the zero in your area code.

It's also the reason why it's cheaper if someone from the UK is calling you from the UK, to ring them back. As they are only paying for the connection in the UK & you're paying for the connection charges for the overseas bit.

Therefore if you have a decent roaming package from your service provider, works out slightly cheaper for you to return the call.

Thai

Mel B - 2008-05-20 9:12 PM

Thanks guys ... managed to finally find some info on the phone website which is slightly different from some of the above. We've on the '3' network so whether that makes a difference I don't know, anyway:

To dial the UK, either a landline or a UK mobile, from France for example, I have to put in the UK code 0044, drop the 0 of the normal national (or mobile) number (ie Hull is 01482) so that would be 00441482 .....

To dial a French landline number for a voice call when in France from my mobile I just dial the area code NOT the international code, however if I want to TEXT a French number, I have to use the international code! Confusing innit!!!! 8-)

What I need to sort out is turning voicemail off so that we don't get charged to check on messages whilst abroad ... especially if someone has got hold of our number and is trying to sell us something!!!!

When we get abroad I'll do a bit of experimenting and see what happens ... best to know in case I need to use the phone in an emergency isn't it.

set to Divert all voice calls - this sends everything to your voicemail service - Before you leave the UK.

tell anyone you want to remain in touch with that you've done this and they must text you - otherwise the information will be parked until you return

if you've both got a phone - try ringoing each other to make sure it has worked ok

I normally set all to divert while watching the loading at Hull! :D

then pick up any new messages on the way up the Humber on the way back

B-)

Also, make sure roaming is authorised for your 'phone.  Elementary, I know, but it is not necessarily automatically included. 

Further, check that full roaming has been authorised.  Some, at least, mobile providers define roaming merely as phoning between your mobile and UK, or between your mobile and a landline/mobile in the country you happen to be in at the time.  If you take a UK registered mobile to Belgium, for example, and then want to phone France, that call may be blocked because full roaming (i.e. calls between countries) has not been authorised.

However, use SMS.  Much cheaper, and it cuts the waffle!  Short texts are surprisingly cheap and, like e-mails, they do not depend on the recepient's phone being on.

Archived