Sat Nav info

Keith T

Am looking nfor a suitable SatNav for the motorhome and/or car, and for continental and Uk use.

Would prefer one which will tell you the speed limit and speed at which you are travelling, (and warn if over it!!)and works in MPH or KPH according to where you are!

I cannot read the KPH figures in daylight on my new Fiat bsed motorhome, especially in bright sunlight outside!

One which also warns of speed cameras would be best, I guess, but what is the situation about these in France now, as I have heard of folk who had them confiscated by French Officials.....has that now changed?

Any sugestions please!, and also experience in use.

I would also hope to get one which does not take you on 'non-existent' roads!!! (ie unsuitable for the motorhome)

Hi Keith,

If you want to get some support I'd suggest you go for something fairly mainstream like a TomTom or a Garmin.  There is a lot of experience available here for those types but if you go for an Aldi special you might be struggling to get any support.

I can't speak for the Garmin but I would imagine it was a similar spec to the TomTom (perhaps the Judge could put us right?) in that the TomTom will do all those things you ask.

It comes pre-installed with a set of speed camera locations which a lot of people delete in favour of a subscription elsewhere for monthly updates.  I subscribe to Pocket GPS World http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/index.php

You can set it to 'ping' whenever you exceed the speed limit but I turned it off as it gets irritating after a while 8-)

You might be better off eyeballing the speed limit signs out of the window instead as the device may not be all that accurate.  I recently went around the M25 with a colleague who had a Garmin.  She had the speed warning sound activated and whilst doing 65mph on one stretch it was pinging its head off as it wanted her to do 30mph.

I normally set mine to MPH during UK travel but change it to KPH when I go abroad which links in nicely with the road signs.

Talking of which, as far as the French goes.  I don't think its a problem with SatNav devices more the anti-radar type devices.  Although it seems a bit of a grey area depending upon the mood of the French police?

No satnav device will take you onto 'non-existent' roads as they navigate to keep you on roads.  You won't suddenly find yourself going across a ploughed field!

There currently isn't a TomTom that works in 'motorhome mode' so you need to look at the route it picks and adjust it if need be.  Avoid the 'shortest route' option like the plague ;-)

Whichever device you end up choosing, make sure you can customise it by being able to add your own POIs and itineraries for example.

I've used a TomTom for several years and find it sooo easy to use.  The menus are clear and there are lots of customisations that I can do.  When it breaks I'm gonna get another one the same day.

These links might help:-

http://tinyurl.com/4m9yw4

http://tinyurl.com/4unkfc

W2G

I would second Way2Go's information.

We have used a Navman for 3 years but the mapping and service back up was next to useless, so I would not buy another of that make. When we eventually tried to completely update our mapping we found that it was 'no longer supported' so we had to look for a new sat nav with the knowledge that the single most important feature is the ability to update mapping easily and with the most up to date maps on a secure fairly permanent basis. On this the Tom Tom wins hands down over the competition with constant on line free map updates and the guarantee of being software future proof, also the fact that they have bought/buying out one of the two mapping companies must bode well for the future.

We opted for the Go 720 without the T (traffic info) as this is available seperately for less than you can buy the 'in the box' version (it is the same set up bought seperately) this has all you have asked for and more. We did buy the TMC/RDS add on but it was not very effective, however we had a refund on our origional (another good reason for buying seperately) and now found there is a new version that we have bought (cost £19.99 from Makro) and tried and it seems to work much better, quite well in fact and once I am sure it is working well on a regular basis I will post an update withdrawing my origional post advising not to buy it! All in all the TT GO720 is really good and is by far better (light years better) than our previous GPS and so I would highly recommend it.

There is now the new range available i.e. 730, so first there may be some bargains on the 720 series (don't pay more than around £170 anyway as that is the going price) or you may like the new model and the extra cost that it will be ( Halfords Internet price is £259.99 for the 730T using voucher code HALTTGO730TRAF on their site) that is not a bad deal for the new model usual price £329.99.

Bas

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 and while Garmin is good, it seems to me after reading this forum that TomTom is better, or at least easier for the Motorcaravan use.

I am disapointed that I cannot plan a route on my Computer a few days/weeks ahead and transfer it to my Satnav. I have to make the entries on the day I travel.

Also I find the traffic information, especially in the UK, next to useless.

Now whether using a TomTom would improve that or it is the UK's traffic transmissions I dont know.

About the camera issues. I suspect you will never have all the speed(Safety -ha-ha)-cameras on your Satnav whilst travelling around europe.

They change so often even if you had a subscription you would spend half your holidays (and a lot of money) downloading the lastest news.

Have a search of this Forum and read what the others have written about such things as POI's etc, it should give you a bit more infromation.

Good luck.

As a side interest my preference is always for a 'mobile' Sat-Nav, by that I mean one that can be put to any vehicle or taken indoors for learning and the route planning stages.

My own is a NAVMAN N60i that I find suits me OK but in fairness I have not assessed others so have no opinions on them.

A friend of mine has a new Mercedes car with the Sat-Nav fixed internally, I found its position in the car difficult to cope with plus I do not believe it was truly 'mobile'

I'm uncertain if brand new M/H's fit Sat-Nav's.

PS. I might add that I live round the corner from NAVMAN HQ which prompted my choice.

LB

Herri - 2008-05-19 11:02 AM . . . I am disapointed that I cannot plan a route on my Computer a few days/weeks ahead and transfer it to my Satnav. I have to make the entries on the day I travel.

Hi Herri, does the Garmin not come with an 'itinerary planner' option where you can design an itinerary of locations then save it for a later date?

I know that Judgemental uses AutoRoute 2007 to plan some of his trips and saves them to be imported into his Garmin.

We used to have a Mio 268+ and found that after 2 yrs we couldn't update online although we had purchased the new maps and software. We bought a TomTom One XL Europe at Christmas and haven't looked back since ( I must admit with the help of WayToGo). We can plugin to the computer and update when we like. We also subscribed to PocketGpsWorld for Speed Cameras when we had the Mio and have kept the subscription up for the TomTom so we are not using the TomTom speedcams. I would recommend a TomTom to anybody.

Hi all

Thanks for advice W2G, just bought a TomTom One Europe and it works great. There are speed camaras on the motorway that I use regularly which I never knew existed (the camaras that is).

Can W2g advise on lane width and height restriction poi as I have noticed the TomTom is quite happy to send you down a 6ft six road, which are not all marked?

Tof

tof - 2008-05-19 12:22 PM Hi all Thanks for advice W2G, just bought a TomTom One Europe and it works great.

You're most welcome

Can W2g advise on lane width and height restriction poi as I have noticed the TomTom is quite happy to send you down a 6ft six road, which are not all marked? Tof

There aren't any width restriction POIs available (that I am aware of) but I can post you a set of Low Bridge POIs if you tell me the height you want.

W2G

Hi WTG

Thanks for that, my email should now be showing so you can send direct or post on forum as this may be useful to others. Height is 2.95m.

I bought the traffic option with my TomTom (£30 extra) and the safety camera option does perform audible warnings just in time for safe action slow down if you forget or get caught out.

I may now be warned about low bridges as I am speed limits so I can be even more perfect than I already am!

Tof

tof - 2008-05-19 1:24 PM . . . . Height is 2.95m

Is that the height of your vehicle or the height of the bridge you want to get under?

The bridge height I can send you should contain the height of the bridge requested and anything below this height.

My motorhome is 9' 2" (2.79m) high and the low bridge set I am using is 10' 2" (3.10m) and below.  I thought a height difference of 1' (300mm) was adequate to go under at a reasonable speed!!

Guest JudgeMental
Herri - 2008-05-19 11:02 AM

I am disapointed that I cannot plan a route on my Computer a few days/weeks ahead and transfer it to my Satnav. I have to make the entries on the day I travel.

You have simply purchased the wrong Garmin GPS unit thats all...

Only the nuvi 700 series allow you to install mapping on PC and download routes and waypoints to your nuvi. I have a 770 and have latest maps for the USA & Europe on my PC and plan trips accordingly.

I have been planing journeys this way since 2000 with an earlier street pilot & Garmin 2610. But nuvi's never had this facility until the 700 series.

I have always stuck with Garmin because of this and also their excellent freephone support.

W2G

Height of M/H is 2.95m so best add 300mm say 3.25m for max bridge height.

When I go under bridges I normally go as fast as possible as the side view of the 'van is then trapezoidal and therefore a bit shorter!!

Tof

tof - 2008-05-19 1:24 PM

and the safety camera option does perform audible warnings just in time for safe action slow down if you forget or get caught out.

Tof

Hi tof, not sure if your version has the same camera facilities as the GO720 but if it does if you go into 'Safety Cameras' in the menu and into, I think, 'Change Options' you can adjust the time the unit warns you before a camera. The 720 defaults to 15secs.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2008-05-19 4:39 PM

Tof,

Attached is your Low Bridge POI for 10' 6" together with a quickly knocked up 'how to' to install it together with linking it to the enclosed verbal warning.

If you don't want the verbal warning don't install the enclosed .OGG file. Instead, pick a sound when prompted.

Let me know how you get on.

W2G

Shame this info is not available in CSV format for Garmin.......Be nice for hightops as well @ around 3.2 M Ah well, we live in hope lol

JudgeMental - 2008-05-19 5:45 PM
Way2Go - 2008-05-19 4:39 PM

Tof,

Attached is your Low Bridge POI for 10' 6" together with a quickly knocked up 'how to' to install it together with linking it to the enclosed verbal warning.

If you don't want the verbal warning don't install the enclosed .OGG file. Instead, pick a sound when prompted.

Let me know how you get on.

W2G

Shame this info is not available in CSV format for Garmin....... Be nice for hightops as well @ around 3.2 M Ah well, we live in hope lol

Judge, I'm always at your service.  I assume that 'hint' was for a 10' 6" POI in CSV format?

See attached . . . . will a PDF format be OK for the 'how to' or would you like that in a different format as well :-)  :-) . . . . . silence in court

Bridge 10'6.csv

I had a look at the Pocket GPS World Forum a couple of days ago (HGV/Motorhome Lounge). It appears that Navevo are to launch a device through Maplins soon which will allow vehicle dimensions to be input.

Graham

Hi, I was given a Navman S 901 for last Xmas and have used it only once in anger since then. My 1st trip abroad this year.

It took me carefully to a campsiter in Spain,an Aire in France and it has speed camera warnings and can be set to "ding" when exceeding a set speed ( in my case 110 KPH).

However the most useful part is the camera with which I can take a picture ( of an Aire for instance) and it provides the GPS co-ordinates and I can store this and ask it to take me there again,which it will. Useful for those out of the way Aires, picnic areas and also favourite campsites. The pictures can be downloaded onto a PC. Updates are available ( it says) and routes can be planned on a PC and downloaded. I'm about to try this !

I have also always been keen on Garmin.

Now with hindsight and the benifit of this forum I realise what I should have had.

The trouble is until you start using them you cant really imagine what is helpful and what is just gimmiky. It s also difficult these days to go out and get decent advice in a shop.

Thanks anyway.

Herri

W2G

Thank you kindly, all working well and low bridges already showing up which I know are too low.

Thanks also for the PDF instructions which have helped me to load all the other vital POIs.

TomTom seems to be the front runner at present and with my so far limited experience of it, I feel I can already recommend it.

Thanks also Basil for early warning adjustment advice.

My version (TomTom One T Europe) is slightly smaller than the 720 and has less on memory (1G instead of 2G plus the convenience of an SD card) but if you don't need to connect your phone or put photos on the screen then the One T is around £60 cheaper than the 720 T.

What a great forum with total experts on hand, makes me feel very reassured about my full timing exploits in my home on wheels, if a little sad that I may never get lost again!

Tof

tof - 2008-05-21 10:13 AM W2G Thank you kindly, all working well and low bridges already showing up which I know are too low. Thanks also for the PDF instructions which have helped me to load all the other vital POIs.

You're very welcome and I'm glad its all working for you.

. . . if a little sad that I may never get lost again! Tof

Well you could always leave it turned off ;-)

Slightly off topic but isn't technology amazing these days?

I recently had to pick my wife up from Tamworth Railway Station which is a long way from where we live and I'd never been to Tamworth before, never mind finding the railway station.

I found the post code, looked it up in Google Maps,  changed the view to satellite and zoomed in.  When I arrived at the station I knew exactly what the layout was like and where to stop.  Amazing.

But, you are right, it does take some of the mysteries out of life but also some of the hassle.

W2G

W2G

Yes, technology is amazing, and so accessible to the masses (like me). I can now almost choose my pitch on a CL thanks to Google Earth's wonderful aerial window on life! Detail down to seeing hardstandings, caravans and in some area, people!!

Tof

Archived