is it possible to hire an autosleeper??

jack russell

can anyone help me with info on any company that hires autosleepers? Have been driven mad trying to access this info via the internet - doesn't seem like anyone out there does this type of motorhome for hire. Failing that, any reliable company who hire 2 berth motorhomes would be useful. Thanks a lot.

Hi Jack, I don't know where you can hire a Legend but if you want to know of any snags or advantages in owning a Legend, I can pass on some information as I own one by choice after many years of looking around and owning various 'vans. Most of the snags are things my wife doesn't like, bathroom too small, lack of close at hand dropping space in the kitchen, can't really used the cab seats on site, bathroom door opens right onto anyone using the cooker, not much floor space up front between the bathroom/wardrobe and the kitchen, two persons can't pass, sink and cooker tops open up over the window so cuts off natural light, the skylight over the kitchen has a two-way fan so no light comes in there. but there are plenty of 12volt lights there and an extractor fan hood. There are plenty of good points, rearwheel drive, engine the proper way round, monocoque fibre glass construction, so no coach built joints to leak, and no wood frames to rot, very aerodinamic so slips through the air like a streak of greased lightning, cross winds not a big problem, fairly quiet in heavy rain at night. Nice to drive, and available in automatic, and you can't go far wrong with a Transit. Spare wheel is a bit of pig to get out, it hangs on a wire cable lowered from its winch by the jack handle. On the van that is fine but put a motorhome body on and it does not pull out quite far enough to unhitch with ease. so call green flag and let them roll on the wet ground. Cheers! hope that helps a bit???

Thanks so much Ranger. The list of inconveniences is a good education that we'd only find out about once we'd bought. Does your wife think the Legend has enough advantages to overcome these internal issues e.g. does it make her want to change the van and what do you think of the U-shaped layout? We like the fact that you can lounge away from the driving area and possibly make up the bed and leave it? We have looked at lots of models but keep coming back to the Autosleeper range because of the quality you describe. Interesting to hear what you say about the Transit - hear a lot of worrying stuff about Fiat Ducato in MMM magasine. Hope you don't mind me asking more questions but there's nothing like getting a reality check from people who know! Best wishes, Jack

Yes Jack I like the Transit, better performance than my last 'van which was an Autotrail on a VW 2.4, five cylinder turbo automatic, this Transit is non turbo and performs exrtreamly well, faster and better up hills and overtaking than the turbo VW. No glow plugs but starts first kick every time, cruises at 70MPH no bother, nice and smooth at 60. There are more commercial transit vans on the road than any other, and repairs are a sensible price. I had a rear wheel drive Renault Trafic before the VW with a Holsworth Ranger van, that was very good also. My pal has nearly new Renault Master, no complaints at all, and he is a retired garage proprieter. We would like various changes in lay out but it means going bigger and heavier, but I'm 76 so restricted on weight. The rear U shape is very nice, double or two good sized singles, and plenty of windows all around. Another thing I like about the Legend is it has a very small over hang behind the back wheels, so the back axle is unlikely to get over loaded, makes for a nice stable ride on winding roads. The internal snags I mentioned can be lived with, one adapts to these things, there is plenty of storage space, good roomy cupboards, and all the heavy stuff is within the wheel base and track so nicely ballanced vehicle when on the road. Cheers for now, best of luck with your search.....

Hello again Jack,in case you had not noticed the Legend is a four berth, there is a double bed in the luton roof over the cab. I have removed the double bed to lighten up the front end a bit, and use the space to store our bedding during the day. In any case there are no seat belts for two passengers in the back.

Thanks again Ranger - like you, we don't really need to sleep 4 but extra space is useful. The maintenance costs seem very reasonable too. Have enquired about an Autosleeper advertised at Stafford Motorhomes - a '97 at £18.995 with 71,000 on the clock. These motorhomes certainly seem to hold their price, don't they? Jack

Hi Jack, Just had a look at the Legend at Stafford Motorhomes website. Looks OK for the price, milage a bit high but that is niether here nor there as long as it has always been serviced on time. I notice it has TV AE, awning, and tow bar which is good. You can stick a bike rack on the tow bar. With a good warrantee to include all the 'van, it could be just what you are looking for, subject to inspection of course. Take some one with you to inspect it, the more eyes the less likely to miss anything, and drive it yourself, and watch the exhaust when starting from cold, and when pulling up a steep hill and pulling away quickly. It should be nice and clean, perhaps some water to start with. You can see the exhaust in the right door driving mirror which is very handy. Ford cabs can sometimes have a bit of rust, and look for cracks in the gell coat of the GRP body work. It should have blinds and flyscreens on all the caravan windows, and on the skylights. Check the bathroom washbasin for damage, sometimes it is damaged by someone in the passed shutting it up without pushing the tap back. Best of luck, if "her indoors" is happy with it that is half the battle. See you in a field somewhere sometime..........David...

Hi Jack, just want to correct something I mentioned about bike rack on the tow hitch. I was reloading my Legend after its service ready for the Stratford-on-Avon show and realised what I said about a bike rack. There is a locker in the middle if the rear bumper about the size ( But not quite ) of a spare wheel, so if you put a bike rack on the tow ball you could not open down the locker door, you need to get in there to wind down the spare wheel with the jack handle. If you are at the Stratford show Fri. Sat. & Sunday, pop in and have a chat, we will be in the invalid camping area N577 TPR. We usually fly a bluebird on a pole as long as there are no overhead power cables.

Ranger, thanks so much for all your specific and practical pointers. Good point about the mileage not being so important as the way the van has been looked after and hope to be impressively clued-up when we are inspecting for all those features you mention.

You mention the Stratford show - is this the one on 6 - 8th June? If so, yes, we are definitely going as we live near Birmingham. Will be looking out for your van and the bluebird on the pole. Thanks once again. Hope to meet up at Stratford! Jack

Yes Jack that is the show, going up with my old pal and his Mrs on Thursday the 6th June staying til Monday. We will not try to keep together so will arrive at different times, he tows a small car on a trailer so is restricted to 60 MPH. We will not be together on site either as they are both fit, my wife and I will be on the invalid area, both had stokes. I assume you will be day visitors, or do expect to be a motorhome owner by then????????

Jack:

If you are attracted by a mid- to late 1990s A-S Legend, then a possible alternative could be a Herald Valencia of a similar vintage. This also used the Ford chassis and had a similar rear U-lounge layout. Although Valencia lacked the A-S signature GRP monocoque body, build quality was still pretty fair and, as bodywork construction was lighter, useful payload was greater. (Which Motorcaravan published a report on Legend in April 1996 that gave its payload as 351kg, but this would have excluded any allowance for fresh water and gas.) Incidentally, the price of a Legend in 1996 was quoted ex-works as £34,850.

Thanks for the added info. Can't believe the price of these motorhomes - must be quality if they are still selling so well! Enjoying hearing all the advice from the experts out there. Any observations on depreciation comparisons of Autosleepers versus other similarly sized motorhomes? Jack

Like Derek says the Herald Valencia is a very good alternative to the Legend. I always fancied one of them when they were new but could not afford it. As far as I can remember they were built on a Ford Transit chassis purpose built for motorhomes, a bit lower slung than the ones for builders trucks, and full chassis right out to the sides of the motorhome body not 'add ons' like most motorhomes. Derek will know about that. Some thing else for you to put on your list Jack.

Hi again Ranger, noted that you are based in Swansea. Have always fancied exploring the Gower and, if we can't get the autosleeper we want in time for summer hols, we may hire one. So, do you know any good places we should visit and any camp site recommendations? Thanks, Jack

Hi Jack, the Gower is not very good for motorhomes, very narrow country lanes, also too narrow for safe walking. The council have no intentions of widening the roads as drivers will drive too fast. There are plenty of C.C. CLs. Pembrey Country Park is a good place to go further west. There is a very good C.C. Site there. Good beach, dry ski slope, Small golf course/big pitch & putt, horse riding, forest walks, 15 min drive from Carmarthen, room to park motorhome in ex-cattlemarket now carpark.

Thanks Ranger - have just had a quote from Motorholme for hire of an autosleeper in August for 7 days at a price of £800 plus! Must be the exclusive brand name! Seems a lot of money but someone obviously is willing to pay because as I enquired one autosleeper was rented which left only the choice of a Nuevo. Thought you'd like to know you're driving around in a goldmine!!! Jack

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jack, Sorry I missed you at the show on Saturday. Went into Stratford to the farmers market on the free bus. I thought the Stratford show was not very good, it seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year.

Archived