Fridge Problem and Cambelt Question

Guest Merlin1

Guest Merlin1

Hi,

I bought a 1996 VW Autohomes Merlin back in October 2007. It was supposed to have had a habitation check but the fridge doesn't seem to work very well when I went away last weekend. For starters, it doesn't seem to like Electric Hook Up, the green light does not go on. I tried it on gas, it seemed to get cold, then warm ! Turned it off again and switched it back on. That time the freezer box was getting cold inside there but the rest of the fridge was getting warm to the point that everything in the fridge was warm ! Warm air was still coming out the exterior vent. Did not want to leave it over night so again I turned it off and put it on next morning: It seemed to get colder. I'm just wondering if it's because the fridge has not been used since at least August last year. Would it be normal for it to play up through lack of use even though a check was supposed to have been carried out (I have no paperwork to support this). This is my first coachbuilt having previously owned VW campers.

Lastly, my van has only covered around 26,500 miles from new but does not seem to have had the c/belt changed which makes me think it's long over due. Does anyone know an approx cost of this ? The engine is a 2.4 diesel. Is it best to get it changed at a Motorcaravan dealer (Discover and Brownhills are near to me), a VW dealer or independent garage ? Thanks for the help !

I've got a T4 2.4 diesel and had the cambelt changed when I bought the van 3 years ago as it was over 10 years old, although it had only done 23000 miles. Back then it cost about £250 at my local Skoda garage. (I drive a Skoda car)

I've found them very reasonable for servicing etc. but it was a tight fit to get the 'van onto their ramps.(They replaced the spare tyre for £32 this year!)

Can't help with the fridge problem, except to ask whether you've taken the external covers off?

Hello this might sound a bit daft but i have had trouble like this before.we use to have a caravan sited on a site in wales, and after the long winter storage the fridge didnt get cold,a chap i got talking to told me to take the fridge out and turn it upside down for half hour,i know sounds daft but it worked every year for 4 years.it somthing to do with the gas not been moved and this gets it moving.a cheap try before you buy a new one.

Guest Merlin1

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking about that sort of price for the belt - just wanted someone to confirm that so I won't fall off the chair when the dealer tells me (lol) Yes, covers are off.

Someone did mention turning the fridge upside down. - I haven't the slightest idea how it's even fitted to be honest with you but it's worth me finding out if that's all it is. Saying the that, the lights don't work, which makes me suspect something else. The Leisure battery was totally dry inside so had to buy another one of those - not a great start !

Can I also ask, should the dealer have replaced the belt or would that not be part of the "service before sale" ?. I also had an MoT advisory about some cracking on the front tyre wall which I would have thought should have been replaced for safety reasons. I know they can't sort out every little thing being a 12 year old van, I'm just curious as to whether less is done being an older vehicle.!

I think it's a case of if you don't ask, you don't get, but if the 'van came with a new MOT I would thought that the tyre should have been sorted then.

I managed to get a new leisure battery and 4 new tyres put on the van by the dealer as they were still the original ones ( not a new spare - that's another story!) - but then I do drive a hard bargain!

Couldn't get him to fit a new cam belt though.

Mine's a T4 VW as well, get the cam belt changed ASAP, it should be changed after 4 years regardless of mileage, and if it snaps it's very expensive.

Also have the tensioner changed, and a careful check of the water pump, if it seizes it will break the belt.

Make sure whoever does it can set the timing accurately using Vagcom or similar, if the timing is even a little bit out it will make starting difficult etc.

£300 is a good price for a belt / tensioner change, More if the water pump needs doing. Have the pump drive belt and other belts checked as well.

These engines are worth looking after, only the best fully synthetic oil will do, have a look in the book for the correct oil type (VW505).

250,000 miles is quite normal on one of these engines.

Hallii

Guest Merlin1

Thanks again with the replies, will let you all know the outcome. Sadly doesn't look like I'll be going far with for a while :-(

J9WITHDOGS - What type of Valentine do you have ? I originally had my mind set on a Valentine Special with the side door and the red coloured stripe outside. Super little vans but couldn't find one anywhere so after 5 months of looking I bought Merlin - next best thing. Still tempted by the Valentine though !

Merlin1 - 2008-05-20 5:53 PM

Thanks again with the replies, will let you all know the outcome. Sadly doesn't look like I'll be going far with for a while :-(

J9WITHDOGS - What type of Valentine do you have ? I originally had my mind set on a Valentine Special with the side door and the red coloured stripe outside. Super little vans but couldn't find one anywhere so after 5 months of looking I bought Merlin - next best thing. Still tempted by the Valentine though !

I've got the very same one! It's a much better layout than the rear door version, I think.

There was someone in the Holdsworth Club advertising one for sale, but it's not in the latest issue of the club mag. Contact the Sec, Chris Chambelain at ethelchamberlain@aol.com.

1555543896_Shirley.JPG.9cb38d57993a37b6fa4a3b2671b0b53d.JPG

Guest Merlin1

That's the one !! I did look at one of the last 1997 ones but by then they'd changed slightly with blue graphics outside which looked a bit too garish for my taste, the colouring of yours seems to suit the van better.

I may well contact the Holdsworth Club, just to see if anyone knows of one coming up for sale. I could possibly be tempted to change even though perhaps it would be a step back registration wise but that's not a problem if it's the van you want. In the meantime, if you fancy doing a swap with rather smart and gorgeous looking Merlin that "only" needs a leisure battery, tyre, fridge sorting, cambelt change give me a shout !!!!! LOL !! I'm only joking !!!

don't even THINK about a VW dealer for your cam belt, they're likely to quote at least 2 x what Jan paid - they hit me for one last year when van was 5 years old,

needless to say - we went to an independent garage. Wouldn't recommend a motorhome dealer either to be honest.

good luck

the joys of motoring eh *-)

B-)

Funny you should say that Twooks - the VW garage is next door to the Skoda (which is VW with a different badge) garage in Bridgnorth, but the pricing structure for service & repairs varies wildly between the two, with Skoda being by far the cheaper.

As I'm on my second Skoda from there, I trust them not to rip me off with the 'van.

Yes VW garages are rather high priced for repairs, my last 'van was on a VW 5 cylinder 2.4 and the Automatic gear box developed a fault. VW quoted over £3,000 for the job a local automatic gear box garage did the job for half that price, and the 'van is still going strong now, I know the present owner, lives not far from me. It is said that VWs are high priced for repairs because the cross ways engine is hard to work on. For example a new cam belt for my Ford Transit automatic with engine the proper way around is £85. A bit cheaper if I have it done next week with my standard service, instead of waiting til October when the cam belt change is due. As for the fridge that old trick of taking it out a leaving it stand upside down over night used to be used a lot in "the olden days". Don't know if it works on modern fridges???

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Merlin1

Well for those of you who have kept an eye on this thread and for those that have replied, thought I'd update you.

Well not much to say actually !! Booked the van in for a cambelt but it was too tall to go through the door so back to square 1 on that point.

Took the van to a dealer to have the fridge looked it. He took it out, bench tested it, put it back and apparenty working fine. He could not find anything wrong but thought it may have been a loose burner causing the thermostat to be thrown out. And guess what, I still can't get it to work ! Nothing on hook up, 12 V. It got warm before when I put it on gas but now nothing happens at all except I get the flame and the hot air comes out the vent on the side !! Phoned him today and was told it could be that this fridge only works on level ground. It IS on a level drive though ! He also said that the switches on the front of the fridge do not become illimunated on this model, I was under the impression they did to tell you what's going on. The fridge is an Electrolux RM400 possibly a 4236 model if it's still the original one as fitted.

I did get in touch with the dealer I bought it from who blemes everything on the fact that I didn't use it over the winter. Apparently every motorcaravan should be driven 20 miles a week. Hmmm Obviously I agree with him that these things should have been checked during the warranty period which is now expired.

All good fun !

Guest Merlin1
Someone took it back to the dealer for me today who looked at the fridge again and apparently there is no problem with it but because an older fridge, takes a couple of hours to get cold. I shall try it again myself but still seems an awful long time to me for a fridge to get cold.

Hi Grant

I've got the 4201S (there is a sticker inside at the back) fridge in mine. It only takes about half an hour to get really cold, with the knob turned right round to number 7 on hook-up.

(I can usually tell by temperature of the plate in the ice-box if it's working within a couple of minutes)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Merlin1

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. My old 1979 Devon Moonraker only took about 15 mins to get cold.

Still no change, took it over weekend, nothing on gas or electic. When using latter, flick the switch and turn knob to 7, when on gas, press the ignitor while holding button in then have that set on the large flame, nothing. It did work on 12 V this time so something going on ! Why it works for the dealer and not me who knows ! Do the lights on yours illuminate ? Half the sticker is missing so can't read the number. I even find I have to switch the buttons up to the working position, ie, opposite to a normal household switch.

Good news on the cambelt though, had that changed as well as oil change - £380 which I was happy with.

Archived