Sealing a leaky roof vent

lr147

Hi,

I have a 95 compass drifter and noticed that i was getting a some water in the blind that covers it. After unscrewing it I can see that the sealant has failed at one corner. After I remove the old sealant and clean it what should a reseal it with? Also any recommendation on wahether to apply the sealant to the vent of the roof first?

Thanks,

Rich

Hi IR147,

I always use Sikaflex 221 White for repairs, resealing and sticking things onto the bodywork such as solar panels, brackets etc.

Clean off the surfaces and degrease with a solvent which will not damage plastics, I use isopropal alcohol available from the chemist, nice with ice and a slice of lemon too :D

Apply the sealant to the bodywork first, much easier to move the frame around than the motorhome ;-)

Regards Terry

I have just had a problem with the deflector in from of the roof vent.

Lifting at one corner, the original sealant used was not even stuck to the deflector & easily peeled away from the Van roof.

Not wanting to wait until I could get it in for Warranty, plus I may have lost the deflector enroute, I decided to do it at home.

Problem where to get hold of the Sealant? Could not find any locally.

But I did find a new (to me) choice of Internal or External use "No Nails" product. It's a roll of No Nails tape, about 15mm wide and 2/3mm thick. Easy to use, suitable for plastics & metal and sticks like the proverbial.

I checked after 150 miles over the weekend and everything is solid.

So I will keep it in the Van toolbox, from now on.

Archived