HGV Medical.

vindiboy

*-) Hi all,Ive just read an article in a late 3Ms stating that all drivers of vehicles over 3.5 tonnes will have to pass an HGV drivers medical REGARDLESS OF AGE by 2012. The article goes on to say that final decisions have not yet been made regarding the date which existing drivers must pass the medical by and that the current cost of the medical is £150 scarry or what ? any one got any further info ?? >:-)

Prices do vary, my Husband paid £61.50 this year, but each time he needs one it seems to jump up by £20.00.

But like he say's It's better to keep the licence just in case we go to a bigger Motor Home and need it !

And of course the Medical is quite thorough so I'm sure it would detect anything un towards too.

• 4 weeks later...
vindiboy - 2008-05-20 3:56 PM

*-) Hi all,Ive just read an article in a late 3Ms stating that all drivers of vehicles over 3.5 tonnes will have to pass an HGV drivers medical REGARDLESS OF AGE by 2012. The article goes on to say that final decisions have not yet been made regarding the date which existing drivers must pass the medical by and that the current cost of the medical is £150 scarry or what ? any one got any further info ?? >:-)

Hi,

Andy Clarke of UK Motorhomes has contacted the Drivers Standards Agency on the subject of drivers medicals and full details at http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/faqs.shtml#Licences

So it looks like subject to the outcome of the consultation, the administrative requirement for Group 2 drivers to renew their licences, and therefore meet the medical requirements, every 5 years will only apply to drivers who passed their test after 1/1/97.

Regards

Don

AS to finding any problems, I had a HGV medical a few years ago as i had held one for years. a few weeks later I had a heart attack, later I had a triple bypass. I still ask my doctor what sort of guarrantee he gives with medical checkups. (lol) (lol)

Archived