Fiama awning

HMonster

Welcome to the forum HM,

Just a few suggestions to check, we have had all at one time or another.

1. Check the gaps at either end, between the front plate and the end caps, are equal as that can cause this, if not mark where the rafters join the front plate with a pencil mark, as if you over adjust or loose your position they can be a swine to get back to the origional position, loosen the nuts either side of the fixing and move the front plate to even the gaps. (most noticable if it is particularly one end sticking more than the other)

2. Also the rafters can catch on the base of the box as they come out, but the fact that they do not catch when you wind in suggests it is not that. 3. The mounting blocks/ shock absorbers that are made from nylon and have two largish bolts through, inside the box move against spring pressure as you wind the shade in and out they can stick and need to be sprayed inside with silicone or PTFE white grease where the top bolt slides in and out to ensure that they are dropping and retracting appropriately. Also the bottom bolt must not be tightened as this can cause the same problem.

4. The red 'tell tales' can become stiff and hold the front plate in the closed position, unscrew PTFE grease them up, 'retension' the spring and put back together.

I check/ do all of these things each year prior to use now along with the other habitation checks, after being caught out whilst away on a couple of occasions, I am sure there are other things that we have not had happen yet but hopefully one of these will help out.

Bas

I was going to write snap!!

Thanks for that Basil will check out your suggestions tomorrow.

Went away with some friends at the weekend, we both had our awnings out, bit of a breeze but nothing much, sat chatting in their van and up went the awning, next thing it was laid over the roof with legs akimbo!!

Next it was on the ground, lock, stock and barrel as they say, the whole thing came away from the side of the van and landed on the floor. We could not believe what we saw, the guy they bought it off had fastened it on with 4 2" wood screws and that was it!! no back panels nothing.

We were just so glad it happened where it did, it was only their second trip out with it so at least they can sort it before we all go off to France in the summer.

Cannot believe how some people bodge things like this :-S

Mandy

Mandy&Andy - 2008-05-21 7:46 PM

I was going to write snap!!

Thanks for that Basil will check out your suggestions tomorrow.

Went away with some friends at the weekend, we both had our awnings out, bit of a breeze but nothing much, sat chatting in their van and up went the awning, next thing it was laid over the roof with legs akimbo!!

Next it was on the ground, lock, stock and barrel as they say, the whole thing came away from the side of the van and landed on the floor. We could not believe what we saw, the guy they bought it off had fastened it on with 4 2" wood screws and that was it!! no back panels nothing.

We were just so glad it happened where it did, it was only their second trip out with it so at least they can sort it before we all go off to France in the summer.

Cannot believe how some people bodge things like this :-S

Mandy

Ouch Mandy!

I have pretty much given up using my Fiamma awning since seeing an identical, dealer fitted model, complete with backing plates, ripped clean through the side of a UK motorhome by a gust of wind in the South of France last Autumn. The damage to the van was horrendous. It landed within a foot of a neighbouring rig and its owners so could have generated a troublesome personal injury and caravan/towing vehicle damages claim too. I have bought the tie-down kits recommended by others on this forum and I always deploy them on the very rare occasions I use the awning. I never leave the awning unattended once deployed. Only my personal opinion of course, but when I change the van, I will carry a free standing gazebo and not waste money on a bolt-on awning of any kind.

Bob

Archived