My nice new Agilis camping tyres.

Brambles

Hi,

Got my new tyres fitted today, Michelin Agilis camping 215/70 R15 CP .

Got them to set to same pressure as old ones (XC Camping) and driving home I immediately noticed the ride was much softer and less noise.

Old tyres were only half worn but 6 years old coming up.

So less noise and softer ride could just be rubber has not fully hardened yet..

I went for Agilis Camping as I knew they would be recent date code (week 15 year 08). Also because they have an M+S rating.

No supply problems, ordered 2 days ago, in today. Price £423 all in for all 4 at McConechy's Tyre Service.

Jon.

hope u kept the best of the old as a spare me ansum. also saw sum info on these tires in mmm this month, sounds good but do they help fiats go backwards my biddies? penberthy syas not unless they as a reverse tread. anyone know out there?

fillerupfred

If the spare is the same age as were the four you have already replaced, consider getting that replaced as well.

It seems a spare will age at approximately the same rate as a tyre that is in use, even if it has never touched the road.  Therefore, if the main reason for change is age, and the spare is the same age as the others, it is equally suspect and is liable to have deteriorated in just the same way as the "in service" tyres.

Bummer, innit!

I take your point Brian about the spare and I have considered. Chances are if I have a puncture it will be just used as an emergency tyre and I will take my time on it to nearest puncture repair place. If a tyre needs replacing I wil be buying a new one at that time anyway, so why spemd another £100 on the spare just to sit there.

I also should have mentioned reason I went for Agilis (could have got XCs a bit cheaper, is because they are becoming obsolete so in the future if I had needed a new tyre it would not match rest of wheels.

If the spare deteriotates just sitting there I will consider replacing when and if needed or when 10 years old, but considering many Motorhomes now do not even have a spare then I see no real problem as long as I do not treat as a new tyre and bomb along on it.

So there you have my chain of thoughts.

Jon.

p.s. incidently a new unused tyre can be used up to 10 years old apparently, and 6 years in use after 1st use.

Jon

See Vernon B's post "The Definitive Answer to Tyre Pressure Queries": follow the link to Tyresafe, and download the excellent little booklet entitled "Motorhome Tyres and Your Safety".  Have a look at page 2, penultimate para: "Because tyres deteriorate with age, the leisure vehicle organisations recommend that, irrespective of the remaining tread pattern depth, tyres should be replaced preferably when they reach 5 years old but to never use tyres which are more than 7 years old".  (My underline)

Make what you will of that, but it co-incides with what I have seen stated elsewhere.  Granted punctures are rare, but you never have control of what/when/where.  Your ageing spare may let you down if fitted, before you can get the punctured tyre fixed - so I still think you would be wise to ask Father Christmas for a replacement!  Take care.

Brian,

Whilst I do not wish to get heavily into a debate about tyres, following is what Michelin recommend and as I have Micheln tyres am following their recommendations.

"While most tyres will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tyres in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tyres, be replaced with new tyres as a simple precaution even if such tyres appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit."

Jon.

Quite, and nor do I Jon.  My comments were not intended as questioning your judgement, just to point out, for the benefit of others, that all tyres have a limited life, whether in use or not.  It is always preferable to take the specific advice of the tyre manufacturer in lieu of generic advice from general trade sources, in your case 10 years max. 

However, not everyone has Michelin tyres so, in their cases, if their manufacturer does not endorse the Michelin "shelf life", or they cannot obtain a figure, they would probably be wise to adopt the 7 years max I referred to.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this thread whilst searching for information on motorhome tyres. Just thought folk might be interested to know that my Dad bought a 5 year old Autocruise Vista last month with 15,000 on the clock. On his first trip he had a blow out on a rear tyre. Having fitted the spare he had gone less than 30 miles when a front tyre blew. This took part of the bumper and wheel arch with it.

All 5 tyres on his van were Falken Linam R15s. Presumably these are not the originals from Autocruise so were probably a lot less than 5 years old. I personally have never heard of them and I question whether they were ever intended for motorhomes. We also know that the van sat on the dealers forecourt for 6 months before my Dad bought it (maybe longer), so this may have contributed to the problem. It had just had a full service though from the dealer and the AA man who replaced the first tyre checked all the others so it seems what they look like is nothing to go by. Makes you wonder whether the dealer should have replaced all the tyres before he sold the van.

So age of tyres in this case wasn't much of a help in predicting when they would fail I'm afraid. He's now looking to replace the other 3 tyres ASAP.

Hi Mrs Sea.

I have done a search for Falken tyres and what they have to offer. I cannot find anything suitable in the offerings I have found just being ordibnary car tyres which are not suitable for Motorhomes or commercial vehicles. Thats not to say there are not any.

If you have had two fail, I think it is only a matter of time before pthers go so should look at replacing them all ASAP. Itis possible teh tyres are not suitable and also been overinflated to far too high a pressure beyond te max fro the Falken tyres.

I also take the view when buying a second hand vehicle I am never happy until tyres are replaced as you have no idea of the history. Could have been run over inflated, underinflated and subjected to bad kerbing and abuse. I think the dealer in this case is somewhat responsible as, although he has not been possibly negligent, or maybe it will prove he has been, the fact remians he has sold a vehicle with defective tyres, proved that 2 have failed.. You (or father) may have recourse for compensation. Maybe not dealers faullt but certainly not the buyers fault and dealer is responsible to sell goods of a reasonable standard.

Just to update folk who are interested. My Dad got his remaining 3 tyres replaced, including the spare which the AA put on after the first blow out. It would appear the spare was brand new, unused and was the original tyre when the van was new i.e. put on for Autocruise, so all the other tyres were also the originals. Tyre dealer says Falken are actually pretty good tyres, retail about £10 cheaper than Michelin or Goodyear and he (the garage) sells them all the time with no problems. So if you ever buy a 5 year old van with 15,000 miles on the clock that has stood on dealer forecourt for minimum of 6 months = replace all tyres immediately however much tread is left.

Thanks Mrs Sea for te update. Always nice when people get back with updates and weget therest of thr story. You will rest easier now knowing your dad as a fine new set of hoofs.

Interesting comments though and reminded me of another factor affecting tyres. Tyres can deteriorate if just sitting unused on vehicles, exposed to the elements, faster than if being used. The compounds and plasticers in the rubber require flexing of the rubber for then to do there job and be absorbed through the rubber compound to reduce oxidation and hardening of the rubber. So possible the 6 months of not moving caused a lot more damage than if the vehicle had been driven weekly or even monthly. Michelin for example are aware of this problem with Motorhomes and use a compound more suited to sitting stationary for long periods.

handyman - 2008-06-25 10:23 AM

m and s rating on a year round tyre??? How does that work? I thought you always have to change from summer to winter tyres

Hi Handyman,

Modern tyre technology using latest silica compounds which allow better grip in wet and on snow at low temperatures, along with clever tread design.

In the far off dark ages for winter tyres they had to use a soft rubber compound so the tread was pliable and let the sipes do there job and tread blocks deform or grip the snowy or ice covered road surface etc. In the summer these tyres on a dry road would wear very quickly and generate a lot of heat and noise as rubber would become very soft. Now with modern compounds they can make tyres that are suitable for all year round use as the rubber remains pliable at low temperatures. Tread design has moved away from having large blocks with wide voids to smaller sipes and tread patterns that grip the snow or mud, and are quiet and smooth to run on in the summer.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Jon

Our winters are not like winters in some European countries, where they have really deep snow for long seasons and need more like an offroad type winter tyres. Many european drivers though are just like us and do not change tyres. If they also experience extreme cold temperatures then in the past summer tyres have just not been suitable. But again with modern tyres with silica compounds the need to change is becoming less. The belief amongst many is winter tyres are just chuncky tread tyres, the chunky tread being what is needed. This is not the real reason, it is because as I have said the rubber hardens and becomes less pliable to a point where it just will not grip suffciently even on a dry cold road surface.

Archived