Better for the Country - or better for them?

StuartO

We're in a situation now in which the largest party, having lost a lot of seats, is hanging on to Government because the alternatives are letting Labour have a go (as an even more minority Government) or facing another election, in which presumably they think they would do even worse and let Labour in, perhaps even with a working majority.  And maybe they genuinely think that it is in the Country's interests to do so.

Likewise Labour is saying they would prefer to be trying to govern themselves, even though they would be relying on other parties supporting them - because their policies, they say, are inherently worth supporting.

And the Brexit negotions are getting under way!

So the Conservatives have ditched the unpopular elements of their manifesto and resorted to talking to the DUP (who seem to be making a meal of extracting their pound of flesh) and Labour feel entitled to crreate as many problems as possible for the Conservatives, in the hope that they can  trip them up and get their chance to form a minority Government.

It's all very insecure and feels, above all, unsavoury and somehow untrustworthy.  I think we have too many balls in the air and we therefore need to postpone Brexit until further notice, to simplify the array of problems we face in order to allow them to be dealt with.

Guest pelmetman

If the Sainted Theresa can do a deal with the DUP 8-) ......

Then the EU will be a bunch of pussies :D .......

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2017-06-23 7:29 PM

pelmetman - 2017-06-23 7:04 PM

In your dreams sunshine.

Worst case scenario we get stitched up like a kipper 8-) .......

Fortunately it'll be the Generation Gullible who will be picking up the tab for the next 40 years ;-) ..........

I'd call that Karma >:-) ......

pelmetman - 2017-06-23 7:37 PM

starvin marvin - 2017-06-23 7:29 PM

In your dreams sunshine.

Worst case scenario we get stitched up like a kipper 8-) .......

Fortunately it'll be the Generation Gullible who will be picking up the tab for the next 40 years ;-) ..........

I'd call that Karma >:-) ......

I'd call it ironic that the real generation gullible voted for Brexit and if it goes ahead it is the young generation Gullible as you call them that will be picking up the tab for that for the foreseeable not because Labour got into power.

I cant believe your still bigging up Theresa May either, she is about as Strong and Stable as a wonky hat stand.

I agree Stuart. To go ahead with Brexit now is just crazy. I reckon it will be binned within a year.

She can easily do a deal with the DUP by giving them our money..

Same with the EU - can always get a.deal.

But it will be worse than the deal we had when we were in, and will be claimed to be a success

*-)

If the EU decision-makers know that the UK can no longer walk away with no deal, they will be empowered to take it all slowly and be as hard-nosedand demanding as they like.

On the subject of rights of EU citizens resident in UK, didn't I read a couple of weeks ago that the EU demand would be for all EU citizens (and their heir and successors indefinitely) to have a right to settle in UK after Brexit?

John52 - 2017-06-23 9:12 PM

But it will be worse than the deal we had when we were in, and will be claimed to be a success

*-)

If the DUP gets 2 billion, the Barnett Formula says that the other devolved powers are going to have to have their share, too. 3 billion for Wales and 9 billion for Scotland. More Brexit Chaos theory we didnt count on!

Its sounding very expensive just so the Tories can save themselves and cling to power for what will probably be a few months. Im not paying for that! They can F*** right off!

We shall have to have another election in the autumn and between now and then let the Tories have a go at sorting out their mess without these dinosaur nutcases but with a combined Brexit cross party team. However its clear to me that the EU are dropping enough hints that all would be forgiven and we would be welcome back if we learned the error of our ways and shelved Brexit. For now at least. It seems though that the Pollys are too scared to do this as the mantra of "We must respect the decision of the public" is the catch all answer. They know its going to be a disaster but are covering themselves so they can turn around and say to the public "Ah well just following orders boss". Its pathetic. When are they going to grow some balls and just say "Sorry but its bonkers, we are not doing it"?

Problem is people voted for Brexit when nobody knows what deal we will get.

So all we get is meaningless platitudes like 'Brexit means Brexit'

Seems to me that when we have a realistic idea of what Brexit means we should have an informed vote.

John52 - 2017-06-24 9:33 AM

Problem is people voted for Brexit when nobody knows what deal we will get.

So all we get is meaningless platitudes like 'Brexit means Brexit'

Seems to me that when we have a realistic idea of what Brexit means we should have an informed vote.

Oh Blimey!!! We cant do that! The people have spoken!! To do something totally logical like have a vote on something once we know what it is would be far too sensible. That nasty man Nigel Farage might come back and incite riots. Much better we just let the public decide on the future of our nation based on some fairy tales and what they saw written on a bus and just wing it. Its only the entire future of a once great nation at stake. What could possibly go wrong?

StuartO - 2017-06-23 4:53 PMWe're in a situation now in which the largest party, having lost a lot of seats, is hanging on to Government because the alternatives are letting Labour have a go (as an even more minority Government) or facing another election, in which presumably they think they would do even worse and let Labour in, perhaps even with a working majority.  And maybe they genuinely think that it is in the Country's interests to do so.

Likewise Labour is saying they would prefer to be trying to govern themselves, even though they would be relying on other parties supporting them - because their policies, they say, are inherently worth supporting.

And the Brexit negotions are getting under way!

So the Conservatives have ditched the unpopular elements of their manifesto and resorted to talking to the DUP (who seem to be making a meal of extracting their pound of flesh) and Labour feel entitled to crreate as many problems as possible for the Conservatives, in the hope that they can  trip them up and get their chance to form a minority Government.

It's all very insecure and feels, above all, unsavoury and somehow untrustworthy.  I think we have too many balls in the air and we therefore need to postpone Brexit until further notice, to simplify the array of problems we face in order to allow them to be dealt with.

I think we have been turned into a laughing stock as far as the rest of the EU goes. The vote to leave has been revealed to be a revolt against austerity. History tells us that when the poor suffer “the haves” blame minorities and manage to persuade the “have-nots” that immigrants are to blame for their woes. Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-06-25 4:11 PM

History tells us that when the poor suffer “the haves” blame minorities and manage to persuade the “have-nots” that immigrants are to blame for their woes.

Veronica

Divide and Rule - they have to do divide the working classes because there are more of them.

Barryd999 - 2017-06-25 5:33 PM

Fear not! I am going to the EU Parliament on Thursday. Leave it to me! :D

Normal service should be resumed by Friday tea time.

Aaah Brussels that shining example of of Multicultural success ... Don't forget to visit the Molenbeek district and Schaerbeek ... Your kinda places i reckon

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-25 7:55 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-06-25 4:11 PM

History tells us that when the poor suffer “the haves” blame minorities and manage to persuade the “have-nots” that immigrants are to blame for their woes.

Veronica

Divide and Rule - they have to do divide the working classes because there are more of them.

Are there? .........I thought Labour now day's relied on the Benefit & Chattering classes >:-) .......

Or as I call em the "Bum and Dumb intelligentsia".....ie the naturally stupid supported by the educated stupid (lol) .........

John52 - 2017-06-23 9:12 PM

*-)

Well the deal is we are still giving them our money so we are still in as yet....but this is our bit back. And S/Ireland will get a big chunk of that. I wonder how the rest of the EU budjet is being shared out.

Should we thank them >:-)

Dave

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/821305/Brexit-news-Britain-UK-cash-EU-funding-infrastructure

Archived