Beware - Solarplicity has gone bust.

StuartO

Solarplicity, one of the smaller energy suppliers, recently transferred most of its customers to Toto Energy (whether they liked it or not) and shortly afterwards have gone bust. Their website has gone down so you can no longer access your account information.

But Solarplicity continued drawing their monthly money from me using their Direct Debit, after the date of the transfer to Toto. So today I had to cancel my Direct Debit and ask my bank to claim the unauthorised debit by Solarplicity under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

If you were a Solarplicity customer you need to check your bank statements in case the same has happened to you.

Until recently I was with them on a dual fuel deal and found their customer service very poor.

Mind you, I am now with OVO, who are supposed to be a good company and I have had bother with them too. Mostly logging on to their website which was stuck at the 'new customer' stage and I could not input meter readings. It took a number of ironic and pithy posts on their customers forum to get something done about it. Reading the posts on their forum it would appear that they have a number of unhappy customers, many of them down to ridiculous hikes in monthly direct debit payments ... so be warned. 8-)

Not quite the same but some years ago i had similar issues with Sky who took subscriptions from my account two months after i'd cancelled. Quite how they got payment and where blame lay is debatable as the bank told me they had record of me cancelling, were apologetic and instantly refunded the amount back. Three months later it happened again (with Sky) so the bank closed my account down and gave me a new account. A lot of faff but i remember them telling me they had more customer complaints about Sky than any other company.

I avoid DD where possible though many companies discount if you pay via this method but you really have to keep an eye on whatever DD's you have.

There used to be only a few energy companies - financially strong because they were ripping us off.

So to generate real competition the Regulator has let a lot more in.

The Regulator has lowered the barrier to entry for good reason.

But some are poorly financed, making little profit, and will inevitably fail.

So maybe, with the benefit of hindsight, he has set the bar too low.

Archived