Going nowhere

Violet1956

I am delighted that recent posts on chatterbox have been given the attention they deserve. Well done to everyone who resisted the temptation to get involved in a debate that is going nowhere in terms of understanding what forces are at play in crimes that every decent person of every creed or colour would abhor.

Veronica

Chatter Box, did seem to get very political of late.

It used to be much more interesting some years ago, but sadly many have left, though good to see a few of the older posters have returned on occasion..

At lest the technical side is still very strong, which is really what newbies want. Not a lot of activity on some other sites!!

But it is nice to have some "lighter" subjects, to banter about!

PJay

One of the reasons I stopped logging on was the persistent political clap trap uttered by the same few.

It just went on and on relentlessly as it got so boring and more repetitive.

It seems to be better now, just needs a few misfits with a good sense of humour and the occasional sense of the ridiculous!

The techy side is thriving it seems with particular thanks to Derek, ably supported by Alan and Nick and a few other stalwarts for the real tricky stuff.

As a non motorhomer it's good to see the forum thriving!!

Tracker - 2017-08-14 10:11 PM

One of the reasons I stopped logging on was the persistent political clap trap uttered by the same few.

It seems to be better now, just needs a few misfits with a good sense of humour and the occasional sense of the ridiculous!

The techy side is thriving it seems with particular thanks to Derek, ably supported by Alan and Nick and a few other stalwarts for the real tricky stuff.

Rich

Your experiences will still be valid and useful to the younger ones who are taking over from us oldies

P

Tracker - 2017-08-14 10:11 PM

Rich,

I totally agree except for the point you make about the forum thriving,I personally thought it was falling away, with some of the postings taking a morning to read and very heavy stuff.

Would love this forum to go back to the days of yourself, the Judge and others in their prime, lots of wit/humour and opinions.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2017-08-15 8:56 AM

I totally agree except for the point you make about the forum thriving,I personally thought it was falling away, with some of the postings taking a morning to read and very heavy stuff.

Would love this forum to go back to the days of yourself, the Judge and others in their prime, lots of wit/humour and opinions.

cheers

derek

You're right Derek, some of us do ramble on a bit and I do admit to being a humourous rambling twit!

I miss Eddie too, we used to squabble a bit, a lot at times, but he too had loads of experience - especially with bikes - about which my only experience is being told to get on yer bike on numerous occasions!

I spend a lot of time now away with the fairies as it's sometimes the only chance to get away from reality and I commend the idea to the house!

Violet1956 - 2017-08-15 9:15 AMI am delighted that recent posts on chatterbox have been given the attention they deserve. Well done to everyone who resisted the temptation to get involved in a debate that is going nowhere in terms of understanding what forces are at play in crimes that every decent person of every creed or colour would abhor.Veronica

Don't really follow you Veronica.  Are you saying that some realities are so disturbing to your attitudes and comfort zone that you are pleased when the debate stalls, even if that means that no progress is made, because no one else is facing the difficult realities either?  Better, if the reality presents really challenging issues, to regard it as a no go area?

StuartO - 2017-08-15 9:22 AM
Violet1956 - 2017-08-15 9:15 AMI am delighted that recent posts on chatterbox have been given the attention they deserve. Well done to everyone who resisted the temptation to get involved in a debate that is going nowhere in terms of understanding what forces are at play in crimes that every decent person of every creed or colour would abhor.Veronica

Don't really follow you Veronica.  Are you saying that some realities are so disturbing to your attitudes and comfort zone that you are pleased when the debate stalls, even if that means that no progress is made, because no one else is facing the difficult realities either?  Better, if the reality presents really challenging issues, to regard it as a no go area?

I think we have really debated the issues surrounding these dreadful crimes over and over again Stuart. I detected a provocative air in your post to which nobody responded for a while. Dave P eventually did but I suspect there is no stomach for going over old ground again among the usual contributors that's all. That does not detract at all from your legitimate concerns about what factors are at play here. But again I believe that this has been thoroughly debated already and all that seems to happen is that we agree to disagree and no one is prepared to change their minds as a result of anything anyone says. Veronica

Good post Stuart and spot on

Violet1956 - 2017-08-16 9:40 AM

I think we have really debated the issues surrounding these dreadful crimes over and over again Stuart. I detected a provocative air in your post to which nobody responded for a while. Dave P eventually did but I suspect there is no stomach for going over old ground again among the usual contributors that's all. That does not detract at all from your legitimate concerns about what factors are at play here. But again I believe that this has been thoroughly debated already and all that seems to happen is that we agree to disagree and no one is prepared to change their minds as a result of anything anyone says. Veronica

I'm not infrequently being provocative when I launch a thread on Chatterbox and if it's merely an attempt to get a proper debate going on a difficult topic (as opposed, for example, to saying I told you so to someone) I see nothing wrong in being provocative, even if it does discomfort some that this difficult, unresolved area is being opened up again. 

Did I detect an air of smugness in your (declared) pleasure at the lack of response from contributors on this occassion?   Surely you aren't kidding yourself that the lack of response from the Forum somehow diminishes the gravity of the underlying issues of widespread, hitherto ignored criminality and somehow supports the view that multiculturalism in UK still thrives without a serious downside?

StuartO - 2017-08-16 6:50 AM
Violet1956 - 2017-08-16 9:40 AM

I'm not infrequently being provocative when I launch a thread on Chatterbox and if it's merely an attempt to get a proper debate going on a difficult topic (as opposed, for example, to saying I told you so to someone) I see nothing wrong in being provocative, even if it does discomfort some that this difficult, unresolved area is being opened up again. 

Did I detect an air of smugness in your (declared) pleasure at the lack of response from contributors on this occassion?   Surely you aren't kidding yourself that the lack of response from the Forum somehow diminishes the gravity of the underlying issues of widespread, hitherto ignored criminality and somehow supports the view that multiculturalism in UK still thrives without a serious downside?

Have to admit I was being a bit smug Stuart. I was pleased for the reasons I gave. You have the right to be as provocative as you like of course. Veronica

Good of you to acknowledge that Veronica. This is the thread about Veronica's feelings rather than the topic about which  she was expreiencing smugness, so let's see if anyone has any interest in responding on the other thread; if not then as Veronica suggests, it's been done to death so much that it's not worth me trying to resuscitate it.

StuartO - 2017-08-16 1:18 PMGood of you to acknowledge that Veronica. This is the thread about Veronica's feelings rather than the topic about which  she was expreiencing smugness, so let's see if anyone has any interest in responding on the other thread; if not then as Veronica suggests, it's been done to death so much that it's not worth me trying to resuscitate it.

I don't think its not that it isn't worth resuscitating Stuart , I would just say that on here the majority prefer earplugs in and computer says no to some subjects ... Way too uncomfortable for em ... Other subjects in past history have been difficult for delicate stomachs too such as gay rights , black rights , women rights ... Soon young underage white girls rights will be taken into account more than those from the background that target them .... We have a massive case involving those very same types from Huddersfield at the minute and they targeted the very same victims white underage girls ... Purely coincidence of course

antony1969 - 2017-08-17 4:55 AM
StuartO - 2017-08-16 1:18 PMGood of you to acknowledge that Veronica. This is the thread about Veronica's feelings rather than the topic about which  she was expreiencing smugness, so let's see if anyone has any interest in responding on the other thread; if not then as Veronica suggests, it's been done to death so much that it's not worth me trying to resuscitate it.

I don't think its not that it isn't worth resuscitating Stuart , I would just say that on here the majority prefer earplugs in and computer says no to some subjects ... Way too uncomfortable for em ... Other subjects in past history have been difficult for delicate stomachs too such as gay rights , black rights , women rights ... Soon young underage white girls rights will be taken into account more than those from the background that target them .... We have a massive case involving those very same types from Huddersfield at the minute and they targeted the very same victims white underage girls ... Purely coincidence of course

Perhaps you'd like to post on the other thread then and see if we can get the discussion going.  If Veronica wants to ignore the issue that's obviously up to her.

This is turning into another pointless rant by those who think that 2 and 2 make 5.

It is an entirely false assumption to think that because someone does not add to a topic they do not care.

Some people come on here to escape the news, false news, political rantists et al and have no interest in discussions about right or wrong, but that does not mean they do not care.

It could be argued that if those that like to publish their views on every topic were to stand for election or become involved in actually righting some of those wrongs their views might carry more weight?

Just as the proclaimers of their views have the right to post them so too does everyone else have the right not to try and prove anything by adding to the debate.

Tracker - 2017-08-16 7:19 PM

This is turning into another pointless rant by those who think that 2 and 2 make 5.

It is an entirely false assumption to think that because someone does not add to a topic they do not care.

Some people come on here to escape the news, false news, political rantists et al and have no interest in discussions about right or wrong, but that does not mean they do not care.

It could be argued that if those that like to publish their views on every topic were to stand for election or become involved in actually righting some of those wrongs their views might carry more weight?

Just as the proclaimers of their views have the right to post them so too does everyone else have the right not to try and prove anything by adding to the debate.

Your famous spats with Judgemental were nothing to do with pointless rants then eh Rich ? ... I know Eddie eventually got banned and I do believe you've re-invented yourself on here also ... Ive not been on here for ages and Dave Pelmet hardly ever does and I must say it seems tha's more life in a mortuary than here these days

antony1969 - 2017-08-16 7:35 PM

Your famous spats with Judgemental were nothing to do with pointless rants then eh Rich ? ... I know Eddie eventually got banned and I do believe you've re-invented yourself on here also ... Ive not been on here for ages and Dave Pelmet hardly ever does and I must say it seems tha's more life in a mortuary than here these days

It does seem that when someone has nothing constructive to say they resort to the well worn reinvention theory and digging up of the past.

This had nothing to do with Eddie and I wonder why you choose now to bring it up?

Unfortunately there is a vacuum between the reduction of posturing over right and wrong and political rants and the return of humour and general chat and it may take a while for normal people to return after being bored and disillusioned by Chatterbox for so long!

Tracker - 2017-08-16 7:44 PM

It does seem that when someone has nothing constructive to say they resort to the well worn reinvention theory and digging up of the past.

This had nothing to do with Eddie and I wonder why you choose now to bring it up?

Unfortunately there is a vacuum between the reduction of posturing over right and wrong and political rants and the return of humour and general chat and it may take a while for normal people to return after being bored and disillusioned by Chatterbox for so long!

Merely pointing out Rich that folk in glass houses should not throw stones and you've thrown plenty of stones in your time on here ... Saint Rich definitely not

antony1969 - 2017-08-16 7:50 PM

Merely pointing out Rich that folk in glass houses should not throw stones and you've thrown plenty of stones in your time on here ... Saint Rich definitely not

In the interests of a balanced view you failed to mention that I have had plenty of stones thrown at me too.

All of which has nothing to do with Veronica's original point, unless as part of a smokescreen to obscure it?

Tracker - 2017-08-16 8:05 PM

antony1969 - 2017-08-16 7:50 PM

In the interests of a balanced view you failed to mention that I have had plenty of stones thrown at me too.

All of which has nothing to do with Veronica's original point, unless as part of a smokescreen to obscure it?

You sure have had plenty stones thrown at ya ... Not quite sure why I'd want to obscure whatever point Veronica was attempting to make ? Whatever reason you come up with its taking 2 to do the obscuring so best if both of us stop the rant and learn to do our 2 plus 2's

Guest pelmetman

Ive not been on here for ages and Dave Pelmet hardly ever does and I must say it seems tha's more life in a mortuary than here these days

Carpets went in today B-) .......

Normal annoying the politically correct service will resume shortly >:-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-08-14 6:15 PM

I am delighted that recent posts on chatterbox have been given the attention they deserve. Well done to everyone who resisted the temptation to get involved in a debate that is going nowhere in terms of understanding what forces are at play in crimes that every decent person of every creed or colour would abhor.

Veronica

You've missed me then? ;-) .......... (lol) ......

StuartO - 2017-08-16 1:18 PM

Good of you to acknowledge that Veronica. This is the thread about Veronica's feelings rather than the topic about which she was expreiencing smugness, so let's see if anyone has any interest in responding on the other thread; if not then as Veronica suggests, it's been done to death so much that it's not worth me trying to resuscitate it.

You appear to be trying to force a debate, preferably within your chosen parameters whilst ignoring the entirety of the subject and seem bitterly disappointed the only reply posted was an attempt at some kind of cynical humour which imo was beneath contempt but you must draw your own conclusion. Your chosen header was more akin to what the Daily Wail et al bombard the meek and easily led with and it was plainly obvious from the outset where you were going with the post content.

If it makes you feel any better, some weeks back i posted a thread about the number of people killed by guns in the USA during the first 100 days of 2017. The numbers make chilling reading. That received zero response. Maybe people were not interested because it's the US and not UK.....maybe people don't care about gun violence, i don't know, but as Richard said in a post it's a false assumption to think that because someone does not add to a topic they do not care. I'll add to that by saying it's also a totally false assumption to conclude 'the majority on here prefer earplugs' simply because you aren't getting the 'right' kind of response.

The bottom line is debating a controversial topic under divisive lines will go nowhere and achieve nothing other than a thread which nearly always descends into hateful racially loaded rhetoric bringing the very worst out in people, and God knows, there's been more than enough of that over the past few months in this country as well as the US.

pelmetman - 2017-08-16 9:36 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-08-14 6:15 PM

Veronica

You've missed me then? ;-) .......... (lol) ......

I did wonder where you were Dave. I've some mixed feelings about the fact that you're back but I always enjoy your SOH so on balance it is good to hear from you.

Veronica

Archived