Going nowhere

Violet1956

Bulletguy - 2017-08-17 1:03 PM
StuartO - 2017-08-16 1:18 PMGood of you to acknowledge that Veronica. This is the thread about Veronica's feelings rather than the topic about which she was expreiencing smugness, so let's see if anyone has any interest in responding on the other thread; if not then as Veronica suggests, it's been done to death so much that it's not worth me trying to resuscitate it.
You appear to be trying to force a debate, preferably within your chosen parameters whilst ignoring the entirety of the subject and seem bitterly disappointed the only reply posted was an attempt at some kind of cynical humour which imo was beneath contempt but you must draw your own conclusion. Your chosen header was more akin to what the Daily Wail et al bombard the meek and easily led with and it was plainly obvious from the outset where you were going with the post content. ......  The bottom line is debating a controversial topic under divisive lines will go nowhere and achieve nothing other than a thread which nearly always descends into hateful racially loaded rhetoric bringing the very worst out in people, and God knows, there's been more than enough of that over the past few months in this country as well as the US.

Interesting interpretation.  I chose the headline simply as a way of concisely reflecting the news item of the day which I was raising for discussion, which reported unambiguous comments from a senior official level in the police and local government that we have a big and widespread problem which has hitherto been deliberately ignored by officialdom because of racial sensitivities.  I didn't include (and I thought I didn't even imply) any personal views, instead merely asked the question how do we grasp this nettle.

But Veronica clearly felt i was pushing a line and was pleased that no one  had responded - and you read it that way too?  And in today's news Labour's Shaddow Equalities Secretary has had to resign because her Sun Article (saying we have a big problem with predators from a particular ethnic group) is deemed to amount to racial profiling, a really big, big sin.  The grip of political correctness on what we can and cannot raise for discussion these days is truly awesome!

As there seems to be an appetite for a bit relief from the bad news that abounds (and I’ve finished my work for today and the crossword so feeling extra smug) isn’t this a sight for sore eyes? Suggest PJay gets down to the docks pronto for what is an amazing sight. Going to suggest to the OH we do just that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/16/hms-queen-elizabeth-comes-royal-navys-spiritual-home-portsmouth/

What a feat of engineering and how poignant is the Captain's account of his last entry to the harbour on the Ark Royal.

Veronica

Archived