School meals for starving children during the Hollidays

StuartO

There’s an obvious emotional appeal in wanting children who depend on free school meals to be fed during the holidays but no one seems to have counted how much real need there is. Some will have parents who are so hopeless at coping that they never feed their kids at home at all but hopefully Social Service will know of them. Otherwise our welfare system should be providing and parents should at least be coping well enough for a one week half term. The example of a needy family presented today by the BBC consisted of a seriously obese mum whose daughter was also clearly obese. The boys didn’t look underweight either.

On the face of it the Government are right to point out that it’s a job for local authorities which is already covered financially.

Well it seems Johnson will end up doing another of his infamous U-turns on this as a senior Tory has now spoken out saying, the party has to "admit we've misunderstood the mood of the country" over the extension of free school meals - adding that the government will probably have to "think again" after voting against the move.

https://news.sky.com/story/pressure-builds-on-boris-johnson-to-relent-over-free-school-meals-for-vulnerable-children-12113873

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/24/top-childrens-doctors-attack-tories-free-school-meals-marcus-rashford

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54678082

I'm no 'footie fan' but take my hat off to Marcus Rashford who has received masses of support from businesses offering help to people supporting him. The few knockers accusing him of 'virtue signalling' are in a very tiny minority and Rashford has shown his maturity in rising above that nonsense.

Well there are two sides to the story as usual.

Guardian presents the other side too;

eg;

"“The problem is that generous, unconditional, universal benefit entitlements trap people in dependency on the state and rightly enrage people who are working hard for themselves."

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/25/free-school-meals-uk-marcus-rashford-conservative-mps-defend-ministers-refusal-to-u-turn

Personally I am uneasy about schemes exclusive to the young, the old, women, those who have worked in the armed forces etc. Because what happens to those who fall outside those exclusive groups? The forgotten people need feeding too.

Some people will point out that BoJo has spaffed away hundreds of £billions to his cronies for test & trace, useless PPE and gawd knows what else as over £3 billion unaccounted for. (Milking the job for all its worth before people finally see the reality of his Brexit and he gets thrown out.)

Huge pay rise for the Royal family and MPs, appointed another load of his cronies to the absurdly over-populated HOL, Furlough Fraud, Eat out fraud, Covid loan fraud, etc etc.

You might think that means the country is rolling in money - but nothing could be further from the truth.

It means we are already under a colossal mountain of debt.

It does not mean we have money for this. :-(

Bulletguy - 2020-10-25 11:10 PM ......I'm no 'footie fan' but take my hat off to Marcus Rashford who has received masses of support from businesses offering help to people supporting him. The few knockers accusing him of 'virtue signalling' are in a very tiny minority and Rashford has shown his maturity in rising above that nonsense.

Marcus Rashford deserves praise for rolling his sleeves up and for not forgetting his own childhood struggle to cope with hunger pains but that doesn't means it will be right to pander unnecessarily to people who aren't genuinely in need and are shameless enough to milk the system yet again in every way they can - such as perhaps the obese woman and her overweight daughter being displayed by the BBC yesterday as the nearest thing they could find to a deserving cause.

Some years ago I was involved in listening to deprived primary school children reading (one-to-one) in their school library, a scheme aimed at providing male (especially male) listenners because the children otherwise wouldn't have any positive male contacts at all. Their drug-addicted single mums would have a different man in her bed almost week-by-week and would not even get up in the mornings to get them off to school so there was a breakfast club at school for them. Their clothes were grubby and they looked unkempt. Some of them had a reading age well below par and you could sense that most of them were going to go the way of their parents as they grew up and would have a hopeless life prognosis. But not all of them; there was a lad called Curtis who came along with a book he had chosen which was a heavy tome all about ancient Greek military history; Curtis told me he wanted to be a Royal Marine and then a military historian. He gabbled his way through the book too fast to be understanding anything so I slowed him down by asking questions about what the story was saying and we got along well. I was very impressed and I reckoned he would make progress in life, such was his intelligence and drive - although of course he was conspicuously the exception to the rule at that school.

So there are neglected and abused children and Social Services are as negligent as the parents in allowing the problem to continue. Only a modest proportion of the pupils in this poor area school were affected in this way but the problem was real and persisting. Without being fed at school these children might not get fed at all and they would clearly be better off in care rather than being parented and let down by Social Services in this way.

So there is a problem (or rather I have no doubt there still is, my experience isn't recent) and more power to Marcus Rashford and the charity sector in their efforts to plug the gaps and to bring influence to bear. But does it mean that Central Government needs to intervene directly, when the problem clearly needs a local remedy and local authorities are already funded to deal with it?

The charity sector (and indeed Marcus Rashford) is a blunt instrument and they will not target the genuinely needy cases so much as those who simply display an appetite for free food being cooked for their children, who will as usual be first in the queue. I susect that the fat lady who was shown on the BBC will fall into that category and be quite happy to have food delivered to her door for free - and she'll probably be quite picky about which convenience food she will make use of too. No point in peeling potatoes yourself is there if you can get someone to give you oven-ready chips or roasties?

StuartO - 2020-10-26 7:37 AM

that doesn't means it will be right to pander unnecessarily to people who aren't genuinely in need and are shameless enough to milk the system yet again in every way they can -

I quite agree

I don't mind the unemployed getting REASONABLE benefits

but the Royal Family Hangers On are just taking the p!ss >:-)

John52 - 2020-10-26 8:41 AM

that doesn't means it will be right to pander unnecessarily to people who aren't genuinely in need and are shameless enough to milk the system yet again in every way they can -

I quite agree

I don't mind the unemployed getting REASONABLE benefits

but the Royal Family Hangers On are just taking the p!ss >:-)

Fancy you and I agreeing about something - we even agree about Royal Family Hangers On if you are including Prince Andrew, who is reported to be exploring options for returning to public life - but apparently not getting much support from Prince Charles or Prince William. I can't see him getting anywhere at all, silly man. *-)

Bulletguy - 2020-10-25 11:10 PM ......I'm no 'footie fan' but take my hat off to Marcus Rashford who has received masses of support from businesses offering help to people supporting him. The few knockers accusing him of 'virtue signalling' are in a very tiny minority and Rashford has shown his maturity in rising above that nonsense.

Marcus Rashford deserves praise for rolling his sleeves up and for not forgetting his own childhood struggle to cope with hunger pains but that doesn't means it will be right to pander unnecessarily to people who aren't genuinely in need and are shameless enough to milk the system yet again in every way they can - such as perhaps the obese woman and her overweight daughter being displayed by the BBC yesterday as the nearest thing they could find to a deserving cause.

There will always be some shameless scroungers as we've seen from this forum but that shouldn't detract from the message Rashford is about and it's worth taking a look at his Twitter feed to see what i mean. Government thought they could placate him with a 'badge' and he'd go away, but much to their chagrin he hasn't and more determined than ever. To me it's shameful in this day and age we're even having to debate the issue of child poverty and free school meals whilst Johnson spaffed away £billions on dubious contracts to his chums.

Making sure there are no poorly fed children, fine, but can someone tell me why all the parents of these children are obese? gf tells me the one on tv last night had pre sliced cheese in the fridge, FFS gf is as tight as a DA, but she has never found pre sliced cheese the economy option.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-10-26 4:17 PM

There will always be some shameless scroungers as we've seen from this forum but that shouldn't detract from the message Rashford is about and it's worth taking a look at his Twitter feed to see what i mean. Government thought they could placate him with a 'badge' and he'd go away, but much to their chagrin he hasn't and more determined than ever. To me it's shameful in this day and age we're even having to debate the issue of child poverty and free school meals whilst Johnson spaffed away £billions on dubious contracts to his chums.

I'll tell you what's shameful :-| ..........

Providing benefits so idiots can breed *-) .......

But that's a yet another Labour F*ckup courtesy Blair & Brown that we are now reaping the benefits of *-) .....

£20m to feed starving kids is:

- Less than half a garden bridge

- Less than half the money spent on the ferry company with no ferries

- 11% of just one of the dodgy PPE contracts

- 0.17% of the failed Test & Trace

- 0.02% of Operation Moonshot

- 0.01% of cost of Brexit

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-10-26 5:23 PM

How many billions has Blair&Browns breeding for benefits cost the taxpayer? *-) .......

Just askin >:-) ........

colin - 2020-10-26 4:24 PM

Making sure there are no poorly fed children, fine, but can someone tell me why all the parents of these children are obese? gf tells me the one on tv last night had pre sliced cheese in the fridge, FFS gf is as tight as a DA, but she has never found pre sliced cheese the economy option.

Carbs are cheap.

pelmetman - 2020-10-26 4:24 PM

Yes your parents have a lot to answer for....:-| ....the only saving grace there being no lead in your pencil.

Precisely.......yet Johnson spaffed billions of taxpayers money giving contracts to companies with zero experience in procurement and his acolytes think thats great because he's a Brexiteer. Thats the state politics is in now. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-10-26 5:39 PM

pelmetman - 2020-10-26 4:24 PM

Yes your parents have a lot to answer for....:-| ....the only saving grace there being no lead in your pencil.

1.....Why?

2.....Dunno.......Never tried it ;-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-10-26 5:43 PM

Precisely.......yet Johnson spaffed billions of taxpayers money giving contracts to companies with zero experience in procurement and his acolytes think thats great because he's a Brexiteer. Thats the state politics is in now. *-)

What did you expect him to do? *-) .........

Google PPE? ;-) .........

Considering Boris was only weeks into having the tools to do job when Chinky Flu arrived......I for one am more than impressed how he has managed B-) ........

How have the Welsh and Scottish leaders done?......Seeing as they've had years in charge? >:-) .......

Oooops they're both in Lockdown >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-10-26 5:54 PM

Contract out to companies with proven experience in procurement rather than dishing out contracts to Tory chums and donors with zero experience which is bordering on criminal. There were plenty of companies with proven record history who offered their services, but were ignored. Obviously they hadn't donated to the party. *-)

Google "contracts to Tory friends"........it's sickening. *-)

I for one am more than impressed how he has managed B-) ........

45,000 deaths, the worlds third highest.......and you're "impressed" by that? 8-)

pelmetman - 2020-10-26 5:28 PM

How many billions has Blair&Browns breeding for benefits cost the taxpayer? *-) .......

Who?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-27-2017/uAFJIo.gif

Considering Boris was only weeks into having the tools to do job when Chinky Flu arrived......I for one am more than impressed how he has managed B-) ........

How have the Welsh and Scottish leaders done?......Seeing as they've had years in charge? >:-) .......

Yeah dead impressive. ignored all the advice to lock down, lost our advantage and as a result 60000+ at least dead. The Tories abandoned the pandemic research team in 2019 to focus on Brexit, Johnson said take it on the chin and shake hands in hospitals then got the Virus and nearly died. Very impressive.

Wales and Scotland in case you haven't noticed are also part of our tiny little island The virus doesnt respect borders I dont think.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-10-26 6:34 PM

pelmetman - 2020-10-26 5:28 PM

Who?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-27-2017/uAFJIo.gif

Do you really think I'm going click on your makegif? :D ........

Here's one I made earlier :D .......

Waldorf.jpg.1448cb70b130fd95638af01c86395a08.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-10-26 6:36 PM

Yeah dead impressive. ignored all the advice to lock down, lost our advantage and as a result 60000+ at least dead. The Tories abandoned the pandemic research team in 2019 to focus on Brexit, Johnson said take it on the chin and shake hands in hospitals then got the Virus and nearly died. Very impressive.

Wales and Scotland in case you haven't noticed are also part of our tiny little island The virus doesnt respect borders I dont think.

Curiously there was a item in our local rag about a woman who had Chinky Flu in January ;-) ......

I suspect Communist China has hidden a lot of deaths as it was spreading for months before they had to fess up :-| ......

But that's something you can do when you don't have a democracy ;-) ........

Which prolly appeals to folk like Snakey Starmer >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-10-26 6:30 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-10-26 6:24 PM

45,000 deaths, the worlds third highest.......and you're "impressed" by that? 8-)

Yet more Loser Lefty LIES *-) ........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country

It's very sad when you see fit to quibble over 1824 and like that purely because it's slightly lower. The figures are collected from private research so it's hardly conclusive. Bottom line is it still doesn't show Johnson in a good light at all yet you're "impressed". The fact he's your Brexit boy couldn't possibly influence your obvious bias......oh no! *-)

You completely ignored the fact of him dishing out billions of pounds in contracts to Tory chums and donors with zero experience of procurement, ignoring those with proven experience. Had it been a Labour leader and government doing that, you'd have been all over it like a rash.

Archived