Spacing rules on Campsites

firedecisions

Having read a number of comments previously on this subject and the letter in the November edition of the magazine asking advice on the 6m rule, the response to which was wrong. (funny enough they didn't print my letter pointing out they had given the wrong advice!) Let me, as a recently retired senior fire officer, add my comments to the debate.

The 6m spacing rule only applies to parkhomes, these are defined as wooden type buildings, and this figure comes from tests carried out by the BRE and included in the model standards. The model standards are quite clear they should only apply to Park Homes.

Since October 2006 the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order came into force and requires most people in charge of premises, to carry out a risk assessment and as part of that assessment to consider the risk of fire spread, hence the need to consider spacing between units.

However, everybody seems to have grasped that 6m is the required standard without realising where this has comes from or what it applies to. Even in the HM Government guide it talks about preventing fire spread between caravans and then gives the example 6m for parkhomes.

I have now created a page on my website which gives all the background information and links to all the documents concerned . see www.firedecisions.com

I guess this ONLY applies in UK?

If you use Aires in France, you are lucky to get 6 inches between vans!. It makes matters worse if you are RHD, as they don't realise that you need space to get out of van on the "Wrong" side.

We are not aires users by choice, but have on occasions stayed on them when with friends who live in France

PJay

Guest pelmetman

As ever UK jobsworths love to embellish rules with bells and whistles in the name of Elf & Safety *-) .........

Hence I ended up needing to wear hard hat, steel toecap boots and high viz jacket, just to fit curtains in show houses 8-) .........

They just get on with the job out here in Spain ;-) ........

P1010415-001.JPG.79ec8a586a5dafa0b74f6ea854e3d031.JPG

P1010415.JPG.91b4370733339b701d3d4c97bf6c70be.JPG

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2016-12-12 2:40 PM

Is that the same block of flats opposite , Dave?

How far have they got now, must nearly be finished , i would think, as we where there in 2015.

P

Yep its finished although no ones moved in yet, and the other one further down is nearly completed to, plus the new campsite is taking bookings for January apparently 8-) .........

I hope those who've booked like staying on a building site :D .........

We've already booked here for next year, cant think of anywhere better that I'd rather spend our winters B-) ......

Yes having stayed in Aires myself I know what you mean when they park too close. For sites there is guidance agreed for Europe as too how close they can be (3m is the minimum) but this only seems to apply for sites, not Aires.

Technically as the Fire Safety Legislation was changed to bring it in line with the European Directives, it should also apply in Europe, However as always they take the more simple approach and dont insist on going over the top.

However, they do have a more vigorous enforcement system and if something goes wrong, such as fire spread, then expect to see an examining magistrate asking some tough questions to the owner.

Guest pelmetman
firedecisions - 2016-12-12 6:22 PM

Yes having stayed in Aires myself I know what you mean when they park too close. For sites there is guidance agreed for Europe as too how close they can be (3m is the minimum) but this only seems to apply for sites, not Aires.

Technically as the Fire Safety Legislation was changed to bring it in line with the European Directives, it should also apply in Europe, However as always they take the more simple approach and dont insist on going over the top.

However, they do have a more vigorous enforcement system and if something goes wrong, such as fire spread, then expect to see an examining magistrate asking some tough questions to the owner.

3 metres?.........Europe? :D ........

P1010525.JPG.eef3cbf27e3e264457902b8c09510ee3.JPG

• 1 month later...
pelmetman - 2016-12-12 8:57 AM

As ever UK jobsworths love to embellish rules with bells and whistles in the name of Elf & Safety *-) .........

Hence I ended up needing to wear hard hat, steel toecap boots and high viz jacket, just to fit curtains in show houses 8-) .........

They just get on with the job out here in Spain ;-) ........

I expect they were iron curtains :D

• 4 weeks later...

Don't like Aires, and don't like the "Airefecation" of campsites, mainly because of the disregard for fire safety.

Indifference to one's own safety is fine, up to a point, but disregard for the safety of others needs standards to be applied.

If in doubt we move on, but have on several occasions gone offf site and returned to a new neighbour less than 2M away from us, in Norway, Italy and Spain, and it's not getting better,

Regards

Alan b

• 3 months later...
pelmetman - 2016-12-12 8:57 AM

I ended up needing to wear hard hat, steel toecap boots and high viz jacket, just to fit curtains in show houses 8-) .........

I'm not surprised. You sound like a walking disaster (lol)

Archived