Calais Aire

Mickt

The 6 June 2017 comment on this campingcar-infos entry

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=28620

implies that the new municipal campsite (adjacent to the recently-created ‘aire’ at Calais) is now up and running.

So - if you don’t fancy the aire and having to negotiate its barrier system - opting for the campsite (which at the quoted €17 price seems reasonable if that includes ’servicing’ and a 230V hook-up) would be a realistic alternative.

I have just come back from there today !

The campsite is next to the aire and is 17Eu with hook-up and Wi-Fi and the aire is 10Eu. Entry is by debit or credit card and, importantly there is an exit code on the ticket too. I struggled to see the card machine as it is set so low ! The aire is adequate with three service points just outside it to drop the toilet and grey water or pick up drinking water (2Eu)

Contrary to reports before I went away, it is very quiet, not much used actually, especially compared to the old one. More people seemed to be using the campsite with motorhomes than the aire though the aire is huge.

I had a walk down to the old aire by the harbour and that is essentially derelict. The area at the back that had been a campsite has been landscaped with a lot of car parking space, not one of which seemed to be used. I didn't walk over but there (it was too hot) but there had always been an overspill from the old aire at the side of the marina and I could see a good number of motorhomes parked there.

Mick Bajcar

Was their on the 21 June. Took one look and drove of. Fair setup on tarmac but no restuarants handy and no shade. The old aire on the seafront is now a building site and does not look like it will be completed any time soon. The other aire, which we always used is the marina one, there is a notice here directing you to the new aire. The marina carpark was empty and no indication I saw on wether you can stay or not. The new aire had four vans in I reckon Calais traders are going to lose out on this, it is obviously not liked.

More seem to be heading to Cite Europe, 16 MH's parked there on Tuesday night, most I've seen in the past 3 years.

With the Carrefour garage now arround the corner with tank emptying, water, LPG and then a full range of shops and eateries on site it makes more sense to park up here.

The Gendarmes do regular sweeps and the Gendarmerie is only 200 metres away so it's safe.

Agaric - 2017-06-23 5:49 PM

More seem to be heading to Cite Europe, 16 MH's parked there on Tuesday night, most I've seen in the past 3 years.

With the Carrefour garage now arround the corner with tank emptying, water, LPG and then a full range of shops and eateries on site it makes more sense to park up here.

The Gendarmes do regular sweeps and the Gendarmerie is only 200 metres away so it's safe.

I did a post on staying over night at cite Europe on May 30th from Cite Europe. I ran the post as a general comment on parking there. Stuart O had a real go at me saying I was" bull**ting" I think he was a bit annoyed at someone saying you can hear the ferries coming and going at the new aire in Calais which I have to say I find hard to believe myself. I'm not sure "the Gendarmes do regular sweeps in the motorhome parking area but they do drive past it (within a metre or two) regularly during the night . I had no intention of staying but after shopping and having a meal there time was getting on and as other 'vans seem to be staying so I felt it would be OK. I have stayed before and felt safe enough. So at the risk of someone being abusive I'll press the submit button :-D

Why bother with the noise of Calais when there is a great free stop at Cite Europe, with fuel and a Service Borne just around the 'corner'. Really quiet and peaceful and for the last year or so the area is patrolled by security guards checking the fence.

Have stopped there at least 4 or 5 times a year for many a year.

keninpalamos - 2017-06-24 1:58 PM
Agaric - 2017-06-23 5:49 PMMore seem to be heading to Cite Europe, 16 MH's parked there on Tuesday night, most I've seen in the past 3 years.With the Carrefour garage now arround the corner with tank emptying, water, LPG and then a full range of shops and eateries on site it makes more sense to park up here.The Gendarmes do regular sweeps and the Gendarmerie is only 200 metres away so it's safe.
I did a post on staying over night at cite Europe on May 30th from Cite Europe. I ran the post as a general comment on parking there. Stuart O had a real go at me saying I was" bull**ting" I think he was a bit annoyed at someone saying you can hear the ferries coming and going at the new aire in Calais which I have to say I find hard to believe myself. I'm not sure "the Gendarmes do regular sweeps in the motorhome parking area but they do drive past it (within a metre or two) regularly during the night . I had no intention of staying but after shopping and having a meal there time was getting on and as other 'vans seem to be staying so I felt it would be OK. I have stayed before and felt safe enough. So at the risk of someone being abusive I'll press the submit button :-D

You haven't learned anything from the experience then.

I "had a go at you" because you (not "someone" else, it was you) posted that ferry noise was a problem at the new Calais Aire, which is nonesense, it's well back from the beach and the best part of a mile from the old one.  You clearly hadn't been anywhere near the new Aire at the time and were posting fanciful nonesense which was misleading to Forum users who might be heading there.

There isn't a competition between the New Aire Team and the Citi Europe Team, it's a matter of personal choice which one you use and Forum users should be helped to make an informed choice, based on accurate information.  You don't have to invent stories to knock the other location, just because you favour one of them.

If you put your ego ahead of providing accurate information again, pretending you know what you are talking about, I'll have another go at you!

I know it's a personal choice thing but why anyone would pay €10 or €17 for an overnight stop in Calais I find incredible when there are plenty of free or cheaper sites within a few miles of the Ports.

We had done 11 days in France, earlier this year, before the sum of €17 had been spent on overnighters and the full month only added up to around €80 - the dearest €7.

Still, it's your money.

1379050644_AIREMAILLERAYE1(600x345).jpg.463c08cc150c86041fb5063d691e9fe7.jpg

Just spent night at Citie Europ.19 vans there. New aire is good but to far from Restaurants. Whilst there got chatting to 2 others one had is Bikes stolen of van whilst on Site on Saturday night.They disabled motion alarm and cut the securing chain.the other had is van broken into and is cameras taken.both in Northen France 2 weeks ago I met a guy from Hull who had is van broken into at Pisa.passports cameras and jewellery stolen .looking at other forums there appears Motorhomes are being Targets..

Just spent night at Citie Europ.19 vans there. New aire is good but to far from Restaurants. Whilst there got chatting to 2 others one had is Bikes stolen of van whilst on Site on Saturday night.They disabled motion alarm and cut the securing chain.the other had is van broken into and is cameras taken.both in Northen France 2 weeks ago I met a guy from Hull who had is van broken into at Pisa.passports cameras and jewellery stolen .looking at other forums there appears Motorhomes are being Targets..

Solomongrundy - 2017-07-01 10:36 AM .... Still, it's your money.

Exactly!

And both Citi Europe and the new Calais Aire seem to be low risk night-stops at the moment, because the police do seem to be cracking down on any migrants who try to resettle anywhere in Calais.  That could change of course.

StuartO - 2017-07-01 8:54 AM
Agaric - 2017-06-23 5:49 PMMore seem to be heading to Cite Europe, 16 MH's parked there on Tuesday night, most I've seen in the past 3 years.With the Carrefour garage now arround the corner with tank emptying, water, LPG and then a full range of shops and eateries on site it makes more sense to park up here.The Gendarmes do regular sweeps and the Gendarmerie is only 200 metres away so it's safe.

I "had a go at you" because you (not "someone" else, it was you) posted that ferry noise was a problem at the new Calais Aire, which is nonesense, it's well back from the beach and the best part of a mile from the old one.  You clearly hadn't been anywhere near the new Aire at the time and were posting fanciful nonesense which was misleading to Forum users who might be heading there.

There isn't a competition between the New Aire Team and the Citi Europe Team, it's a matter of personal choice which one you use and Forum users should be helped to make an informed choice, based on accurate information.  You don't have to invent stories to knock the other location, just because you favour one of them.

If you put your ego ahead of providing accurate information again, pretending you know what you are talking about, I'll have another go at you!

You have definitively lost the plot this time. You are so stupid. Why don't read my post before shooting off at the mouth and accusing me of writing nonsense and Bulls#;t There was nothing misleading or fanciful in my post It was factual, Its what I actually experienced at the time, what i saw and facilities available that I used. , and it has been confirmed by others that the police do patrol day and night. Are you saying they are not telling the truth and trying to mislead. I am not trying to promote city Europe parking or put down the new aire. and you are right I havnt stayed at the new aire, I never said I have but I drove past it, I know where it is, and as I have stated already I doubt if you can hear the ferry coming and going from the new aire and even if I could it never bothered me at the old aire where you could hear them. and what's the new aire team? or any team? That is so bloody childish. How can I favor one or the other if I've only been to one so I'm in no position to judge which is better, which I never have. For me this is is not a competion its nothing to do with MY ego more yours looking back at your history. What you have written above is is total rubbish, bilge and pathetic. If the administrators allow you to pour out your bilge, abuse and out and out lies on others with false statements and accusations then I should be allowed to do the same to you. If anyone wants to look at the the post I made its on page 5 and posted on the 6th June this year and you will see why I am annoyed at this idiot and his altra ego What a n*b H,.d you are. Ban me if you like but the stupid old fool has gone to far.

Update on new aire and adjacent campsite. Given reported problems at Calais decided to stay on site rather than aire but on assessing situation will in future stay on aire. Both are very well lit and wardens of site live over office which overlooks both, but site does have locked gates overnight. Cost for site now is 21.4 euros night with only real benefit over aire is an electric hook up. Also pitches are difficult to turn van into due to over use of fencing and are grass, lady on reception is however very helpful. Both site and aire require 2 euros for token for water, but did persuade said lady to give me mine!

A few follow up points from previous comments.

Defiantly no ferry noise.

There is a really good restaurant just over main road from aire, Aquaraile Restaurant. Not cheap but great views of sea (main plus desert and bottle of wine cost 73 euros but really good quality food).

Tonight 26 vans on aire, 8 vans plus assorted tent campers on site.

For visit to centre then 30 min walk or use bus from stop outside site.

Hope this helps.

keninpalamos - 2017-07-01 9:50 PM

You have definitively lost the plot this time. You are so stupid. Why don't read my post before shooting off at the mouth and accusing me of writing nonsense and Bulls#;t There was nothing misleading or fanciful in my post It was factual, Its what I actually experienced at the time, what i saw and facilities available that I used. , and it has been confirmed by others that the police do patrol day and night. Are you saying they are not telling the truth and trying to mislead. I am not trying to promote city Europe parking or put down the new aire. and you are right I havnt stayed at the new aire, I never said I have but I drove past it, I know where it is, and as I have stated already I doubt if you can hear the ferry coming and going from the new aire and even if I could it never bothered me at the old aire where you could hear them. and what's the new aire team? or any team? That is so bloody childish. How can I favor one or the other if I've only been to one so I'm in no position to judge which is better, which I never have. For me this is is not a competion its nothing to do with MY ego more yours looking back at your history. What you have written above is is total rubbish, bilge and pathetic. If the administrators allow you to pour out your bilge, abuse and out and out lies on others with false statements and accusations then I should be allowed to do the same to you. If anyone wants to look at the the post I made its on page 5 and posted on the 6th June this year and you will see why I am annoyed at this idiot and his altra ego What a n*b H,.d you are. Ban me if you like but the stupid old fool has gone to far.

Moderators please look at this post.

If you have only driven past the New Aire (and maybe only that on a recent trip, since I critcised you) how would you know from personal experience that staying there would be disturbed by ferry noise, as you asserted?

And doesn't descending to a barrage of personal insults, as you have now done, suggest that you have run out of sensible arguments?

StuartO - 2017-07-02 8:10 AM
keninpalamos - 2017-07-01 9:50 PM

Moderators please look at this post.

If you have only driven past the New Aire (and maybe only that on a recent trip, since I critcised you) how would you know from personal experience that staying there would be disturbed by ferry noise, as you asserted?

And doesn't descending to a barrage of personal insults, as you have now done, suggest that you have run out of sensible arguments?

Just returning your barrage and sarcasm I was polite with you but still you carried on lieing being sarcastic and rude and you have repeated that lie here again.I think you need to check out the word "criticise" it dosn't mention rudeness or sarcasm Why don't you look at what was written by ME? Again, I have never ever not once said or stated, or intermaited or suggested that, you, me or anybody else would be disturbed by ferry noise at the new Calais aire. What do you not understand about what i have just written? Why not save yourself future embarrassment and go back over the post and read what I have written. I can assure you, you will not find my name on any post that even intimates any noise at the new Calais aire in a negative way. As for running out of a sensible answer to an argument beggars believe with you using words such as "fanciful and Bull*#t" for stating what I did and what was there, ie shops,toilets etc everyone else would probably agree with that fact It dosn't matter how you look at it, there are shops and toilets there, what was fanciful about that? " I felt it was OK for me there" I was only stating that it felt ok for me there, that's how i felt Is that fanciful? I don't think so. Bulls8#t? I don't begin to understand why you said that. For you to bring up that" it looked like a building site" was irrelevant as you used the past tense. ie not now, in the past. Most builds go through a state of being a building site else the building would not be built. I don't need a threat or a dangerous situation to stare me in the face before I'll admit it is a threat and not safe. and where did you dig up this scale of comparison between the new aire at Calais and City de Europe Motorhome park? Now that's fanciful and the other word you seem so keen on using. I don't have an argument with you, what I have is standing up for myself against a self opinionated arrogant bully and you seem a little annoyed that your target, ie me , has turned the table on you and off you run to the administrators, Now you can apologize for your rudeness and miss quoting me ie saying i lied and I will apologize for calling you a k8#b H8#d, on the forum for all to see, we can shake hands so to speak and forget it . or you can carry on the abuse until admin.step in

This is for Stuart, having read the previous posts about Cite Europe I can say that keninpalamos did not say one word about the noise from the ferries, that was another poster that you had ago at.

Stop picking arguments with people, you've had a go at me in the past for no apparent reason when I posted about Cite Europe.

Agaric - 2017-07-02 11:57 AMThis is for Stuart, having read the previous posts about Cite Europe I can say that keninpalamos did not say one word about the noise from the ferries, that was another poster that you had ago at.Stop picking arguments with people, you've had a go at me in the past for no apparent reason when I posted about Cite Europe.

I can only remember "having a go" at one person about misleading ideas about Calais but I have been contributing to this Forum for quite a while now and I can't say that I remember absolutely everything.  Forgive me, keninpalamos, if I got the wrong guy but I don't think that excuses the blunderbuss personal insults which you posted, so let the Moderators decide.

If you simply want to address something to a particular individual the best way to do it by PM.  It does no one any credit to jump on a bandwagon to aire an old grievance because they have difficullty taking criticism too.

Challenging ideas and opinions is part of what should happen on a forum, especially when fanciful and/or misleading information is being bandied about.  If you are not prepared to have your posts criticised, then it might be better not to post.

Archived