Calais Aire

Mickt

StuartO - 2017-07-02 12:33 PM
Agaric - 2017-07-02 11:57 AMThis is for Stuart, having read the previous posts about Cite Europe I can say that keninpalamos did not say one word about the noise from the ferries, that was another poster that you had ago at.Stop picking arguments with people, you've had a go at me in the past for no apparent reason when I posted about Cite Europe.

I can only remember "having a go" at one person about misleading ideas about Calais but I have been contributing to this Forum for quite a while now and I can't say that I remember absolutely everything.  Forgive me, keninpalamos, if I got the wrong guy but I don't think that excuses the blunderbuss personal insults which you posted, so let the Moderators decide.

If you simply want to address something to a particular individual the best way to do it by PM.  It does no one any credit to jump on a bandwagon to aire an old grievance because they have difficullty taking criticism too.

Challenging ideas and opinions is part of what should happen on a forum, especially when fanciful and/or misleading information is being bandied about.  If you are not prepared to have your posts criticised, then it might be better not to post.

There you go again, a back handed apology. why didnt you PM me when you said I was Bulls8#ting. instead of trying to ridicule me on the forum. I don't mind people using constructive criticism but you dont seem to be able to grasp that. I have answered your criticism on my post case by case in a civil manner Even now you are are telling me it would be better for me not to post and Im not the only one you have said that to in recent days am I. Yes I went in with a blunderbuss as you put it, something I have not done before but you use it as par for the course. You were totally blind to any constructive advice until someone else posted what I kept on telling you, It was not me and as i have said if you cannot criticise without being aggressive rude and obnoxious then perhaps you shouldn't post any more. You hand out advice but don't follow it yourself. I am not going to apologize any more than I already have. If it means I get removed from the forum I hope you take note and moderate your attitude to others and my departure wont be wasted

It seems I did accuse the wrong guy about suggesting there would be ferry noise at the new Calais Aire, so I do owe kennipalomas an apology for that.  What threw me was his claim that I "had had a right go at him", so I jumped to the conclusion that he was the guy I really had criticised coming back for another moan.  Sorry then kennipalomas, I made a mistake.

So what was kennipolamas on about accusing me of having a go at him, of which I had no recollection at all?  Once he wound himself up he was of course getting very personally insulting and accusing me of lying and lots of other things.

He was the OP of the other recent thread about parking near Calais and it seems that he got upset because I responded with a general criticism (of cheapskates who will take every opportunity for a freebie, blind to any risks) which he took personally.  It was not intended to be in any way personal to him so again, I'm sorry he took it that way.

But does his mistake in taking it all personally justify his subsequent broadsides of personal abuse?  I suggest not.  I think you need to examine your own behaviour kennipalomas - and resist the temptation to be so touchy and accusing in future.

And is it right to air your old grudges in other threads, or even to bear old grudges at all on a furm?  Again I suggest not.  And above all let's resist the temptation to jump to conclusions and accuse other people of lying, or indulging in tirades of personal insults when we run out of civilised ways of putting an argument together.  People do make mistakes and they should be willing to recognise them and apologise, as I am always willing to do.

The post was about the Calais Aire, My post was about parking in and around Calais Hardly hyjacking. It was you who answered my reply by starting with "You haven't learnt anything from the experience then" and then went on to say "I had a go at you" because you (not someone else it was you) that posted ferry noise was a problem. and you finished off by telling me that"If you put your ego ahead of providing accurate information again, pretending you know what you are talking about Ill have another go at you!" I have to say to me that was an out and out lie, and an aggresive and personal, attack, you tried to make me look stupid and of course I was very annoyed knowing it was not me and Id already told you so.Hence the blunderbuss as you called it and you deserved it at the very least for, how can i put it providing the forum with inaccurate information. I have already answered your other criticisms of my post and am not going over it again for your benefit. As you said leave it to the Moderator

Returning to the subject, we visited the new Calais Aire last Tuesday. We assumed for €10 it would include EHU and water was an additional €2 at the MH service point. The MH service point is available to all passers-by, free of charge apart from the water.

The leisure batteries were in need of a topup so we stayed at the new adjacent campsite for €17.40. We were quite impressed with the new campsite and sanitation block. They've done a good job with the landscaping but it will be much better once it has matured a bit. All the pitches seemed to be on grass so might be a problem in wet weather. We didn't see any hardstanding but there were hardened access spur roads off the main drag where you could park if conditions dictated. These spur roads service 4 pitches. There are a total of 118 pitches so you'd be unlucky not to find a spur road in which to park. At the time of our visit the campsite had about 6 users and the Aire about 10 users. There is a bread shop on the complex where you can purchase baguettes and croissants. Be aware that to access the campsite, reception closes at 1pm and presumably reopens at either 2 or 3pm. Access to the Aire is available 24/7.

We camped near to 3 Australians in a tent and they seemed quite impressed with the facilities.

PS. I personally value posts from both StuartO and keninpalamos so sincerely hope the current disagreement can be patched up or laid to rest for the benefit of the forum in general. Onwards and upwards is my motto :-D

keninpalamos - 2017-07-02 2:44 PM.... It was you who answered my reply by starting with "You haven't learnt anything from the experience then"

Which should perhaps have suggested to you that I had got the wrong guy?

keninpalamos - 2017-07-02 2:44 PM.... and then went on to say "I had a go at you" because you (not someone else it was you) that posted ferry noise was a problem. and you finished off by telling me that "If you put your ego ahead of providing accurate information again, pretending you know what you are talking about Ill have another go at you!"

More clues that I had got the wrong guy?  Was there ever any reason for me to attack you at all?  And hadn't you started things off by accusing me of having had a right go at you?

keninpalamos - 2017-07-02 2:44 PM.... I have to say to me that was an out and out lie, and an aggresive and personal, attack, you tried to make me look stupid and of course I was very annoyed knowing it was not me and I'd already told you so. Hence the blunderbuss as you called it and you deserved it at the very least for, how can I put it providing the forum with inaccurate information. I have already answered your other criticisms of my post and am not going over it again for your benefit. As you said leave it to the Moderator

The Forum Rules are very clear - no personal insults.  I have apologised for my mistake but you still think, even after that explanation and apology, that your personal tirades were perfectly justified, because you jumped to the conclusion that I posted a malicious lie and was mounting a vicious personal attack?  The Forum Rules are very clear, no personal insults!  As I see it every time anyone resorts to that they end up making themselves look stupid, without anyone else trying to do it to them.

My apology for getting the wrong guy is genuinely felt, regardless of whether you had already taken the hump inappropriately and were already wrongly accusing me.

As we now seem to be agreed, let's drop it and let the Moderators decide whether any further action is necessary.

StuartO - 2017-07-02 3:42 PM
keninpalamos - 2017-07-02 2:44 PM.... It was you who answered my reply by starting with "You haven't learnt anything from the experience then"

Which should perhaps have suggested to you that I had got the wrong guy?

keninpalamos - 2017-07-02 2:44 PM.... and then went on to say "I had a go at you" because you (not someone else it was you) that posted ferry noise was a problem. and you finished off by telling me that "If you put your ego ahead of providing accurate information again, pretending you know what you are talking about Ill have another go at you!"

More clues that I had got the wrong guy?  Was there ever any reason for me to attack you at all?  And hadn't you started things off by accusing me of having had a right go at you?

keninpalamos - 2017-07-02 2:44 PM.... I have to say to me that was an out and out lie, and an aggresive and personal, attack, you tried to make me look stupid and of course I was very annoyed knowing it was not me and I'd already told you so. Hence the blunderbuss as you called it and you deserved it at the very least for, how can I put it providing the forum with inaccurate information. I have already answered your other criticisms of my post and am not going over it again for your benefit. As you said leave it to the Moderator

The Forum Rules are very clear - no personal insults.  I have apologised for my mistake but you still think, even after that explanation and apology, that your personal tirades were perfectly justified, because you jumped to the conclusion that I posted a malicious lie and was mounting a vicious personal attack?  The Forum Rules are very clear, no personal insults!  As I see it every time anyone resorts to that they end up making themselves look stupid, without anyone else trying to do it to them.

My apology for getting the wrong guy is genuinely felt, regardless of whether you had already taken the hump inappropriately and were already wrongly accusing me.

As we now seem to be agreed, let's drop it and let the Moderators decide whether any further action is necessary.

as I stated earlier you launched a personal attack on me I just returned it Jusified at the time. i didnt jump to a conclusion that you posted a malicious lie and was mounting a vicious personal attack. You Did. It had already happened Its there in black and white, and I was not wrongly accussing you, it was you wrongly accusing me. That is what it all comes down to and you couldn't see it and you just blundered on. I did not take the hump inappropriatly I took it appropriatly. what did you expect me to do? nothing? My, whats it called now, " personal Tirades were at the time justified 1 You had lost the plot, ie you thought it was me 2 i did say you were stupid, sorry but you never checked first before you let fly at me, 3 I called you an idiot. a bit over the top but not as bad as bulls8#t that you used 4 i called you a n*b H,.d for which I have already apologized for if you care to look back at previous posts. I think that's the lot. I know what you are trying to do here. Forget excuses,reasons who said what. Let it go, it's done, If you do not say another word on the matter I can live with that and so should you. Its much ado about nothing. For the last time as you rightly say Moderators

Derek Uzzell - 2017-06-17 9:21 AM

The 6 June 2017 comment on this campingcar-infos entry

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=28620

implies that the new municipal campsite (adjacent to the recently-created ‘aire’ at Calais) is now up and running.

So - if you don’t fancy the aire and having to negotiate its barrier system - opting for the campsite (which at the quoted €17 price seems reasonable if that includes ’servicing’ and a 230V hook-up) would be a realistic alternative.

Further details here: http://tinyurl.com/ycue2xod. As above €17 low season, €21 high season (July/Aug), plus €0.20 per person tourist tax, open 1/4 to 31/10, dump free, fresh water fill €2. Reception closes 17:00 low season, 21:00 high season.

rupert123 - 2017-06-23 2:03 PM............Fair setup on tarmac but no restuarants handy and no shade. .........................

I think you must have walked straight past one Henry! Called Le Channel, at the base of the long block of flats fronting the yacht harbour, just before you get to the block that spans the road. Very good, and not expensive, though the outside looks a bit pedestrian. If you stop there next time, give it a try.

Brian Kirby - 2017-07-02 4:54 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-06-17 9:21 AM

The 6 June 2017 comment on this campingcar-infos entry

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=28620

implies that the new municipal campsite (adjacent to the recently-created ‘aire’ at Calais) is now up and running.

So - if you don’t fancy the aire and having to negotiate its barrier system - opting for the campsite (which at the quoted €17 price seems reasonable if that includes ’servicing’ and a 230V hook-up) would be a realistic alternative.

Further details here: http://tinyurl.com/ycue2xod. As above €17 low season, €21 high season (July/Aug), plus €0.20 per person tourist tax, open 1/4 to 31/10, dump free, fresh water fill €2. Reception closes 17:00 low season, 21:00 high season.

My pitch on the campsite had a water tap (with screw fitting) and foul drainage manhole (think it must have been a fully serviced pitch as none of the others in the vicinity seemed to have this). However, there was a potable water tap (push type without screw fitting) adjacent to the sanitation block.

So basically, you should be able to fill up with freshwater if using the campsite (albeit with difficulty) without having to pay €2 at the MH service point.

This thread has gone fallow, so I’m not really intruding on it by posting to sum up the quarrel I was having with kennipalomas which culminated in him slinging school playground insults around.  Having read through both this and the “Parking out & About around Calais” thread, which is where the row originated, I’ve worked out what actually happened.

I made a mistake by picking on kennipolomas as the guy I’d had a go at when he wasn’t (and I promptly apologised once the penny dropped) but what wasn’t clear, among all his protestations of innocence, was that kennipolomas had joined in the earlier row by having a go at me for having a go at the other guy.  This is perhaps why I linked his username (not entirely appropriately) with the original point of criticism (fanciful assertion of ferry noise at the new Calais Aire) when kennipolomas, on this thread, accused me of having a go at him. 

Nor is it clear, having read through both threads, how kennipolomas came to the conclusion expressed on this thread that I had had a go at him earlier because when he did chip in on the other thread to complain about me, I didn’t respond to him at all; I was concentrating on nailing the other guy for posting misleading information.  This is clear from the early posts on the “Parking out & About around Calais” thread if you can be bothered to go back and look.

Nevertheless kennipalomas pops up again on this thread (wrongly) accusing me of having a go at him.  Thinking that kennipalomas was the original misleading poster coming back for another go (who had already tried several times to justify himself with silly claims, which is why I’d had a go at him) I then repeated my criticisms – very much the emphasis on  rational challenge of ideas rather than any personal insults, that's against the Furm Rules.  Kennipolomas was outraged and responded, eventually, by calling me stupid and an idiot and accused me of lying, i.e. of deliberately making a false accusation, rather than being mistaken.  It was kennipolomas switching into personal insults which led me to ask the Moderators to look at what he was posting.

Rows which drag on such as this one did are a nuisance to other contributors because they clog up the thread with issues which are not taking the thread discussion topic any further and are mostly of no interest to them.  Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, some people when challenged mount a high horse of great dudgeon and some of them resort to childish insults once they run out of any better argument to use, rather than back down or shut up. 

When I criticise someone for being misleading, as I did on this case on the other thread, I do it knowing there is a significant risk of the target of criticism retaliating with a refusal to back down and even an insulting rant.  But unless you do challenge people for posting misleading ideas, the people doing it will do it again and again.  Unfortunately some people cannot resist posting when they don’t really know what they are talking about and when challenged, some of them think it’s a good idea to sling insults around as a way of trying to avoid losing face.

So it was my mistake having a go at kennipolomas on this thread and I should have checked the other one before doing so, in order to avoid making that mistake.  I apologise again.  If you are setting yourself up to criticise others then you have an obligation to check and get it right.

Whether kennipalomas comes out of this episode well I’ll leave others to judge; I have asked the Moderators to look at his “stupid, idiot, lying” post and hopefully they will do so.  People who resort to that as a way of pressing an argument deserve to get pulled up for it, even though I feel it always makes them look foolish simply for doing that. 

Why he was getting so upset about me having “has a go at him” on the other thread (when I hadn’t done any such thing) and went off at half cock about being falsely accused on this thread (when he had already seemingly been falsely accusing me) remains a mystery.

Anyway, I felt I owed an explanation to other readers and contributors as well as a repeat of my apology for my mistake.  I’m afraid I will continue to criticise when contributors making misleading posts, such as the fanciful claim that there is ferry noise at the new Calais Aire, which well have might put people off it inappropriately, even if it does risk them then getting on their high horse and perhaps even slinging insults around.  I’m not the Moderator so if they do that I leave it to the Moderator to sort that out.

If the person I criticise has enough sense to say no more that single challenging post of mine will be the end of it.  I will however, when necessary, persist as necessary in making the misleading nature of their post crystal clear.  Hopefully they will then be more careful to avoid being misleading again.  I will of course also check that I’m picking on the right guy before I weigh in!

we have agreed that we would leave this to the Moderator it was you who suggested it I have answered all your accusations over and over again. I'm not going to comment on your last post because we have an agreement. As someone else has commented, Handbags at dawn. I know you want me off the forum, Fine I have no problem with that, Well I won't have If the Autosleeper forum ever gets back up and running. I will not look at this tread again because what will be will be and and it will just be you trying to justify what happened I will let others judge I bare no grudge and hope you continue on the forum. I can't be fairer than that.I'll even leave the forum voluntarily if you want but you will have to put it on a new post. or send a PM That's all folks

The other characteristic of these people who won't back down at any price, and resort to school playground insults when they run out of proper arguments, is that they absolutely have to have the last word.  Of course in this case kennipalomas has said he's not even going to read this thread again, so perhaps he will be able to resist further comment, we'll see.

To make it clear, I am by no means blind to the value of kennipolomas's many other contributions to the Forum and I hope he will continue to make them.  I'd just like him to learn that resorting to school playground insults instead of arguing the issues rationally is against Forum Rules and therefore puts you in the wrong, whether you were previously in the right or not - and it can also make you look pretty foolish too.

Archived