Dash Cameras

Len Salisbury

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, why restrict yourself to a dash cam.

I purchased a panasonic hcv180 digital movie camera, and rigged it up to look forward through the windscreen on our recent trip around scotland.

It can be set to take movies, or still pics, and outputs in high def via hdmi connection to give almost broadcast quality.

It also has a setting for continuous loop , which depending on storeage card size, would give the last hour before overwriting.,, significantly more than dash cam.

True it is more expensive than cheap dashcam , but we have recorded a few hours of video during our travels..a nice reminder of our holiday.

I mounted it on a tripod looking forward, and stopped and started it at places where the views seem attractive.

I admit that I need much practice as a cameraman, and would not win any awards, but we can enjoy the reminder of the holiday tour.

Tonyg3nwl

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dashcam in both my car and motorhome. I recommend the best you can afford. A system which provides speed, location, audio input and of course picture provides the very best of evidence if ever you need it. For example, speed, should you get the dreaded notification via the post of exceeding the speed limit, and you believe you were not speeding then look at your playback. With that in mind you should fit the highest memory card possible for the camera involved. That is just one example. Full recording of your journey can be a saviour. Obviously it can also be something you do not want to let others see. I suggest they are a thing of the time and are essential to counter potential insurance claims against us.

Hope this helps.

Art

As recommended by other posters here, bought two from Aldi at c£40 for the M/H and normal car and they work fine

https://www.aldi.co.uk/maxtek-1080p-dashboard-camera/p/077433146990000

I don't know how others use theirs but mine come on when engine starts and off when engine's off and they're just there "in case". Never looked at the film that's on them and hope I never have to. As I say they're there "just in case" so can't see the point in spending loads of dosh on something that'll probably (hopefully) not get used.

colin - 2017-07-20 11:00 PM

Oscar winning performance?

I'll bet the driver's kicking herself for telling them about the camera. Shame she didn't let them make a claim, or whatever they were planning, then produce the recording.

ColinM50 - 2017-07-21 10:00 AM

As recommended by other posters here, bought two from Aldi at c£40 for the M/H and normal car and they work fine

I don't know how others use theirs but mine come on when engine starts and off when engine's off and they're just there "in case". Never looked at the film that's on them and hope I never have to. As I say they're there "just in case" so can't see the point in spending loads of dosh on something that'll probably (hopefully) not get used.

You mean like insurance?

• 3 weeks later...
ColinM50 - 2017-07-21 10:00 AM

Sorry I don't want to appear rude Colin but if you have never looked at the film how do you know they are any good.

I had a cheap one that appeared to come on and record but when I went to play the recordings I could not play them.

We use a Nextbase 312 and it is easy to set up, has a wide angle view, night vision and records a continuous loop of user predetermined length on an sd card. It seems to work well although I have never tried or needed to view what it has seen or recorded.

Having read all of the replies above may I say, please make sure the camera is recording and view the pictures to make sure they are worth the effort. Too late when you have an incident and think well its ok I have it all recorded, only to find you don't. This may sound patronising but at least two above have said they have never looked at a recording. Why spend any money if you do not make sure it does what it says on the tin.

Art

Archived