Decals stained and will not clean?

fesspark

I have as some of you know a Burstner ixeo 680G. As the m,home has been standing for a few months, I noticed on the Habitation door side that the Fridge vent at the top has been staining the decal to an extent that it looks a mess and I do not know how I can clean it. I have thought of sticking some sort of transfer over it but I think that also would look a mess. The decal has a flattish finish and it is of a metallic paint look but obviously only paper stuck on. Any ideas on cleaning off this staining or is it possible to get the decal replaced at a reasonable Price. fesspark

I have a 690G and have the same problem, for me it is the sides of the van that directly face the sun where the decals have stained. Staining underneath the fridge vents, windows, and all across the rear. I have owned many vans throughout the years and this is the first van with this problem. I think it is due to the fact that the construction is such that the roof wraps directly onto the sides of the van as opposed to having a metal ‘joining strip’ between roof and sides. Due to this method of construction water runs directly off the roof down the sides of the van. I have tried numerous solutions to try and get rid of the staining, including many ‘tips’ from t’internet (like using wire wool) buts I have to say that nothing has worked so very interested if anyone has a solution they have found works.

No problem fess park. The only thing that made a bit of a difference for me was rubbing olive oil on the stains. It didn’t remove them completely but did get some of the stain out. I was doing the mirrors and door catches with olive oil at the time (keeps them black). For info i have tried a strong solution of Fenwicks motorhome cleaner, several other car shampoos, snow foam, non abrasive versions of astonish paste, mild clothes washing detergent, several mild polishes (autoglym etc). I have even tried the wire wool trick. Nothing works.

My previous motorhome an Autotrail suffered badly from decal fade. In fact the decal across the bottom of the bonnet was also badly crazed by I suspect heat from the engine that I scrapped it off.. The side of the vehicle mostly subject to prolonged exposure to the western setting afternoon sun faded as well as water marks under the "water dribble" points from windows, roof etc. I used a product that did offer temporary relief. When grey plastic bumpers first appeared on cars there was a product known as plastic bumper reviver. I had an old jar in the workshop so used that and it did work , however it did need regular applications. I applied it every time I washed the MH. Thankfully my Adria is mainly white with some flat grey decals. In one of my former lives I was involved with a decal printing company. ALL decals will fade over time mainly due to ultraviolet light or chemical attack, your description sounds like airborn crud from vehicle or factory emissions.. Red colours fade the most.Do not be too hard on your Burnster as all motorhome brands will after a few years struggle to look like the MH you collected when new. The Adria I just purchased is the closest I could find to a decal free motorhome available here. Have a look around your local motor factor as for the old style plastic reviver. Cheers,

Geeco - 2020-11-25 1:23 AM

When grey plastic bumpers first appeared on cars there was a product known as plastic bumper reviver. I had an old jar in the workshop so used that and it did work , however it did need regular applications. I applied it every time I washed the MH. ,

Same problem here Gary - we use olive oil which applies quickly and easily with a cloth and lasts for a couple of months or so. You get a nice anthracite shine! A true eco solution!

Jeremy

my neighbour is a keen motor home owner and he thinks the small grey decal under and around our fridge top vent is small and would not be difficult to take off and replace, That is IF and a big IF you can remove the IXEO embossed logo without damage or too much trouble, perhaps a little heat to it would loosen it, any idea's and cost of the grey decal part? fesspark

job&boyce - 2020-11-25 7:38 PM

Are you sure it is a stain, or is it the Decal breaking down in sunlight? As I have the same problem (only on the SUN facing side).

Maybe the quality ...... after all we only pay 10's of thousands of pounds........ what do we expect ???? :-D

Mine is both. The decals on the sun facing sides appear to be changing from smooth to rough textured and therefore I assume are more easily stained.

Archived