Fiat ducato workshop manual

Trickydicky1

As far as I’m aware no hardcopy workshop manual has ever been ‘officially’ produced for Fiat Ducato/Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer X250/X290 models built from mid-2006 onwards.

Your question has been asked repeatedly over the years

https://tinyurl.com/y7tzsbuc

but the only manuals that are available seem to be on CD/DVD/USB-stick or via a download.

I would like to provide a note of caution regarding your expectations regarding the Fiat 'workshop manuals'.

There are certain things that you need to be aware of. Even at the very attractive price of about a tenner for these documents; they may not be of as much value to you as you may think!

First of all, they are not exactly intuitive to use, and unless you are very familiar with the architecture of the vehicle; you may struggle to find the articles that you need. They are invariably not where you would expect them to be.

Second, there will be a great deal of laughably poor translation from Italian. This is ok during everyday life but when the documents are important technical guides; this can be very confusing.

Third, and this is really going to bother you, because it bother's me.... They are absolutely riddled with errors. Sometimes it will be obvious for example when they start to describe the reassembly of an item before they have finished telling you how to take it apart, or it may be less obvious where a measurement is missing or totally incorrect.

Fourth, many of the diagnostic processes involved with checking the operation of a device or system will lead to the need for the Fiat Examiner diagnostic tool. Without it; you may well have spent a long time going down a blind alley and the assistance/guidance will just end at that point.

There are lots of helpful and informative diagrams, some of which are without errors and there are some useful documents and guides in there but i just wanted you to dial back your expectations a little. It can help you to understand what is going on, or going wrong but it will rarely give you the answers that you crave.

Still.... for a tenner?

Dealerships have to pay hundreds of pounds a year for access to this stuff!

A local garage I used mentioned an internet sourcewhich the trade use for looking up "how to do" stuff and diagrams of how assemblies go together.  Obviously non-franchised garages will need information of that sort from somewhere.

But I've never heard of it being mentioned elsewhere - is it something DIYers could ever hope to gain access to?

I got a Citroen Relay manual off ebay. It depended on installing a programme on your PC that linked to Citroen's database, which dealers presumably pay to access so the manual can be continually updated. Had a lot of bother with it - I can only guess it was a pirate copy and the dealer code they had given me to access it probably expired, or been blocked because too many people tried to use it.. Waste of time and money really. But it was only a couple of quid so I wrote it off to experience.

I downloaded eLearn manual from link posted on this forum.

As Nick says is a bit hit and miss, sometimes things are not where you would expect to find them so can be quite frustrating trying to find something. Also not all the diagrams and instructions are correct, I recall looking up the Air Mas Sensor, the explanation as to where to find it was incorrect and the diagram looked nothing like the actual part.

StuartO - 2017-12-07 9:24 AMA local garage I used mentioned an internet sourcewhich the trade use for looking up "how to do" stuff and diagrams of how assemblies go together.  Obviously non-franchised garages will need information of that sort from somewhere.

But I've never heard of it being mentioned elsewhere - is it something DIYers could ever hope to gain access to?

Probably referring to https://www.autodata-group.com/uk/cars/ , not a low cost option – the monthly cost is about what a paper workshop manual used to cost so probably only viable if there are multiple vehicle types to service or you think that you can get away with just the one month trial for a tenner..

I purchased a virtual CD manual for X244 Ducato about 11 years ago. It is a copy of a Fiat document, but may have been a pre-publication issue, as there are obvious errors in some of the wiring diagrams, which out of curiosity have been the principal areas consulted. (As an example some relays are shown with the coil polarity reversed, which would create problems if the relay was fitted with a diode across the coil. Also in at least one instance the connections to a relay are shown with coil and contact connections exchanged on the supply side.

Unfortunately the virtual CD was designed to run under windows ME, and I now have to use a virtual ME machine in order to use the virtual CD. The most seriuos consequence of this is that I am currently unable to print pages from the manual.

Earlier this year I consulted the manual when replacing the clutch master cylinder, however I was able to simplify the procedure, to the extent that I did not have to bleed the braking system.

Alan

colin - 2017-12-07 10:27 AM

As Nick says is a bit hit and miss, sometimes things are not where you would expect to find them so can be quite frustrating trying to find something. Also not all the diagrams and instructions are correct, I recall looking up the Air Mas Sensor, the explanation as to where to find it was incorrect and the diagram looked nothing like the actual part.

I posted the links to the elearn manual. (probably expired now)

I have also found that with Haynes Manuals working on cars because there are so many variants.

Typically they tell you to take the alternator off to replace the brushes.But if you have a smaller engined model with less ancilliaries there may well be room to do it with the alternator in situ. It may even be a different alternator.

So all the manuals I have seen are best treated as a guide, rather something to be followed precisely.

Maybe the ones dealers have linked to the manufacturers database are better.

John52 - 2017-12-08 11:48 AM

I have also found that with Haynes Manuals working on cars because there are so many variants.

Typically they tell you to take the alternator off to replace the brushes.But if you have a smaller engined model with less ancilliaries there may well be room to do it with the alternator in situ. It may even be a different alternator.

So all the manuals I have seen are best treated as a guide, rather something to be followed precisely.

Back in the days when I had a Viva HB the Haynes manual would often say 'Refer to main dealer' for the more difficult/technical jobs, so my father got a full set of dealers manuals for me (he worked for Vauxhall), these came as a separate manual for each section, and several of the sections where as big as the full Haynes manual, but the interesting thing was that the Haynes manual was obviously just an abridged version of the full Vauxhall one with the same diagrams and some of the text being identical.

John52 - 2017-12-08 11:48 AM

colin - 2017-12-07 10:27 AM

I posted the links to the elearn manual. (probably expired now)

I think the elearn-manual link you are referring to is the one ‘Peter James’ ;-) provided in this 2011 thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X2-50-WORKSHOP-MANUAL-FREE/25980/

The link is no longer active as the company operating that website got into deep trouble over copyright infringement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload

As I mentioned earlier, there is a “Ducato X250 eLearn” download feature on the Fiat Forum website

https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=381

but I don’t know which years this covers.

This recent Fiat Forum enquiry asked about eLearn for X290 Ducatos

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/454179-ducato-x290-2016-elearn.html

(Pity that the final posting "Managed to get it so thaks” is not more helpful) :-( :-(

The best Owners Workshop manuals are Haynes. But never for fiat ducato. For my landrover there is topic on line in real time. But expensive. But my dealer wiil print out some topics of my interest for free. And it is real time updated including safety recalls and service recalls which are two different things. Unless you are a classic restorer i think it is wise to look for CD -roms. And do not forget the special tools required. On fiat i have a dealer in the club and i can look on line whit him. Hopefully you can read this because i installed a Mini PC kit Intel Nuc as big as a cigarette box compared to the former desk top being 20 inch high.

Archived