Gas fridges and ferry crossings.

cruiser

We're just back from another trip to the UK, and it started me wondering just who does or doesn't switch off their gas fridges? I know it was only a four hour trip, but I didn't see any cables snaking across the deck, in fact I didn't see any hook-up points around anyway.

Even on the French crossing last year, there certainly weren't enough hook-ups to go around, so am I right in assuming that everyone travels with empty fridges both ways? Or are there lots of fridges secretly cooling away on gas?

I know the rules, I've seen the signs, I'm just curious as to how many MH drivers obey them?

Twice we have done the Portsmouth to Santender crossing that's 24 hours, filled 2 2off bottles of water and froze them at home plus a 2off bottle of milk put in fridge. The milk had only just started to thaw out when we stopped for the night in Spain so that was well over the 24hrs..

cruiser - 2017-04-16 9:50 AM....Or are there lots of fridges secretly cooling away on gas?I know the rules, I've seen the signs, I'm just curious as to how many MH drivers obey them?

If you've read the threads on this topic before, and there have been plenty, those who fill their fridges with frozen things (even if only frozen bottles of water) find that the fridge warms up only very slowly when swiched off and left closed and will therefore last even a 48 hour voyage. 

Doubtless some people do leave their fridge on gas on a ferry but it's such a selfish and stupid thing to do that hopefully it's very rare - and it's so easy for a crewman to spot that's happening by feeling for heat emerging at the top of the outside fridge vent that they deserve to get their gas locker broken open by the crewman to turn the gas off at the bottle.

On short crossings i.e Dover Calais no problem stuff in the fridge will keep the fridge as cool as you need. We fill the freezer part so that helps and only switch gas off just before we board but you MUST switch it of. B-) B-) Pop bottles of frozen water will help on longer crossings I'm sure.

Never find it a problem, leave the u.k. Santander ferry,Put all my frozen food in a freezer bag wrap the freezer blocks in newspaper around the items taken. on arrival place in freezer and switch on at Santander, WallahO n the French crossing the fridge will stay cold for up to 6 hours if it is cold enough when you sail.In our 15th year of Brittany ferry sailings.

Last November we took our MH on the ferry from the mainland to Tasmania, a 9 hour journey. Prior to being loaded the ferry company inspect our gas locker and tag the bottles as being turned off so not much chance of leaving the frig on (thankfully). We filled the frig with frozen items and all was fine on arrival. Cheers,

My OH likes to have something to worry or agonise about and since we're setting off on tour shortly, she mentioned in the early hours of this morning that she was struggling to decide what to put in the freezer because we're going to Peterborough(camping off EHU for a few days) before going directly to the Dover ferry.  On previous trips she was feeling so anti-French (still hurting after the banning of British beef during the mad cow disease episode years ago) that she filled the freezer with enough frozen meat to last the whole trip.

Fortunately she's got over that now (although she still feels anti-French for other reasons) and I'm hoping she'll just relax and do nothing special for the crossing at all.

Will be visiting France for a few days in june and thought I would take some joints of meat,as my fridge will be off for the short crossing and a couple of day trips out from the site, thought I would test freezer,froze some pork vacuum packed, turned fridge off and was still frozen solid several hours later.

Archived