Rusting Roof Fiat Ducato

Chris B

Hi

We have just taken delivery of an Autocruise Rhythm, Fiat Ducato van conversion. We have discovered some rusting on the roof of the van which seems to be caused by a design fault.

Where the roof lights are fitted they block the channels in the roof of the van causing puddles.

We are returning the van to our dealer on Monday, they do not know yet, but before doing so wondered if anybody else has experienced this problem and know of a cure.

Chris B - 2011-12-04 12:45 PM

Hi

We have just taken delivery of an Autocruise Rhythm, Fiat Ducato van conversion. We have discovered some rusting on the roof of the van which seems to be caused by a design fault.

Where the roof lights are fitted they block the channels in the roof of the van causing puddles.

We are returning the van to our dealer on Monday, they do not know yet, but before doing so wondered if anybody else has experienced this problem and know of a cure.

I would have thought it was faulty paintwork rather than a design fault.

My van is permanently parked on a slope when at home, which causes small puddles to form on the roof up against roof lights, but so far it hasn't caused any rusting.

Given that the rust is around a "cut-out" in the roof, it would be worthwhile checking whether it is actually the roof itself that is rusting, or "swarf" from the cutting process that has not been properly cleared off.

I have seen the latter or a number of occsions, the fact being that swarf, consisting largely of cut and unprotected surfaces, tends to rust very quickly, particularly when deposited in a place that is subject to moisture. The problem is that, as it rusts, it tends to pit the surface it is standing on. If removed quickly, and the surface is polished, you can get a relatively decent result. If left for any amount of time, the underlying surface itself will probably need re-painting.

It always amazes me how slapdash most converters are in keeping the vehicle clean during conversion. I've checked over every van I've had from new, and on every one I've had to remove debris of some kind; swarf, copious quantities of sawdust, wire snippings, screws, various dropped fitments etc. :-S

Thanks for the reply's

I said design fault as the fitting of the roof lights blocks the channels where the water would normally run away off the roof, this causes big puddles in the channels.

The rusting is not around the cut out for the roof light but in the blocked channel about 3 to 4 inches away, this could of course be where the swarf has collected and then rusted.

For the record I will post dealers reply after returning the van to them.

As has been said you do wonder why these problems are not dealt with prior to delivery, ours was supposed to have been PD I'd

Chris B - 2011-12-04 4:06 PM

The rusting is not around the cut out for the roof light but in the blocked channel about 3 to 4 inches away, this could of course be where the swarf has collected and then rusted.

Yes, I didn't mean "around" literally, I meant "in the area of".

During build, the cutout will usually be cleaned around to allow for installation (and if you're really lucky, the cut edges will be treated (lol) ). The problem is that there seems to be a general disinterest in where any swarf finally ends up.

I usually have a good check round - my current 'van, for instance (which was generally tidier than most I've bought, had a significant amount of rusted swarf in the tool cut-out under a plastic cover in the drivers footwell (which is somewhat prone to getting damp from use of the drivers door in wet weather).

Presumably it resulted from the cab cut-out, but no-one bothered to do a decent clean-up. I've managed to remove an polish out most of the effects.

A surprising amount of rust pitting can be seen underbonnet on many new 'vans due to swarf being ignored.

• 2 weeks later...
When my van was handed over , I was fortunate to be in an office over looking the van and notice small brown spots on the roof, It turn out they were small pieces of metal that had started toi rust . the dealer was most apologetic and removed and cleaned the van also adding a wax polish to it. Seeing some of the comments on the forums, I wonder who the Factory and suppliers employ for thier Quality control or does it not exist

• 7 months later...

I shoudl think it's the poor quality of Fiat paintwork. My year 2000 Timberland conversion on a Ducato was starting to rust along the edges of the roof because the top coat of paint had just fallen off in flakes, exposing the white undercoat, and eventually leading to rust. I used Fertan to cure the rust and then bought a tub of more or less matching paint from Halfords which I applied with a brush. The finish is not so critical on the roof.

Some years previously Fiat had under pressure agreed to respray my van under warranty, but they specifically excluded the roof. Their paintwork was really of exceptionally poor quality, and in my experience the respray was hardly any better. Don't use a power hose on it!

mthomson - 2012-08-07 3:42 PM

I shoudl think it's the poor quality of Fiat paintwork. My year 2000 Timberland conversion on a Ducato was starting to rust along the edges of the roof because the top coat of paint had just fallen off ................!

This opinion basically relates to PVCs.

I'm sure it's down to the basic paint spec' for what is, at the end of the day, a commercial vehicle. Most vans whether white or of a colour are bought by businesses with commercial finance, or on a lease arrangement. They are built to a price; down to a price rather than up to a quality.

We have a white 08 Ducato that was a double glazing contractor's van in its first life, I'd be interested to know what the design life of one of these vans is. Despite the fact that the diesel engine will last for a couple of hundred thousand miles (now it's not thrashed to death every day) that could have been done in little more than the warranty period; so how long does a paint job actually need to last?

Just my opinion; but it certainly influences my opinion about "value" where campers are concerned,

regards

alan b

Lack of adhesion of the top coat would tend to suggest inadequate preparation prior to spraying. There was a view that at that time (2000 or earlier) white vans were just diverted form the production line to a paint shop where the required coat was applied. However, from what I've heard from a number of correspondents, the problem of poor paint adhesion has continued for several years since then.

While I was trying to get Fiat to honour their paint warranty, an Area Manager checked my van with her electronic paint thickness device and pronounced the paint satisfactory except for two small panels. I had to point out that thickness of paint was not in itself a good guide to quality or adhesion of the top coat. Even after the respray, which had noticeable swirl marks, the paint still falls off in little flakes for no obvious reason, even from the rear door or the internal surfaces.

I wouldn't buy another Fiat.

Archived