Stolen Motorhome

manxli

Hi

Please keep your eye out for any information on the motorhome pictured in this link, which was stolen recently in Yorkshire. It was stolen from supposedly secure storage leaving heartbroken owners.

https://www.facebook.com/claire.l.harvey.5/posts/10153723401715502

Please pass the link on and contact owners via the facebook link in case of sighting.

Alan

Hopefully it was insured when at the secure (sic) storage? find adverts with similar vans of the same age, and accept not a penny less than what the adverts prices are. Although that cannot replace personal items that have gone. What does the storage owner say ? Was any other vans taken ?

You probably would not want it back,after the TOE-RAGS have had their grubby hands on it.

This post on another forum worried me, as I also have a Ford Transit based MH.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/49725-transit-based-motorhomes-being-stolen.html

Seems Fords are quite easy to steal, unless the locks are upgraded! Even if you have a tracker or such, it would be the feeling of violation that would be intolerable, and it wouldn't go away on recovery either.

manxli - 2015-12-14 9:54 PM

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/49725-transit-based-motorhomes-being-stolen.html

Seems Fords are quite easy to steal, unless the locks are upgraded! Even if you have a tracker or such, it would be the feeling of violation that would be intolerable, and it wouldn't go away on recovery either.

They are though there are some very good aftermarket systems available and mine is fitted with a Thatcham cat1.

I've been stopped twice in Poland by Police doing roadside checks. They aren't looking for faulty vehicles, bald tyres or anything like that...they are on the watch out for stolen vehicles and told me UK registered Transits are a prime target (they break them for parts), usually commercial vans. The Police go through your documents with a fine tooth comb, examine the VIN plate etc, but very polite and apologetic for the delay. I didn't mind.....they were doing their job.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2015-12-15 3:27 AM

I've been stopped twice in Poland by Police doing roadside checks. They aren't looking for faulty vehicles, bald tyres or anything like that...they are on the watch out for stolen vehicles and told me UK registered Transits are a prime target (they break them for parts), usually commercial vans. The Police go through your documents with a fine tooth comb, examine the VIN plate etc, but very polite and apologetic for the delay. I didn't mind.....they were doing their job.

Hmmm........I ordered some parts for Fanny the other day........they had a UK email address, but the parts came from Poland :-S ........

manxli - 2015-12-14 9:54 PM

It's not just Transits that are easy to open, but the market for Transit parts is better so more are stolen.

• 5 weeks later...
It was my motor home stolen in Skipton my daughter posted on this forum for me . It is a Ford Hymer 7 berth Carado last seen on the A59 at Gisburn the day after it was stolen . It has not been seen since although we now have a replacement I would still like to find out what happened to the missing van . As others have pointed out it is quite unusual . It also has a dent in the roof above the cab .

I think it's more than possible where mine was last spotted was on route to this place . I was given information and a man named as a suspect I passed this to the police in Skipton they were not interested . It turns out the man named worked for this scrap yard and looks like the suspect in CCTV for a motor homes theft in the Ribble Valley .

I am fuming with the police was told there was no connection a few weeks back told me Ford transits were not being stolen to order I knew different . Told that the crimes were not connected and I was wasting their time with the imformation I had given them .

I contacted the police in the Ribble Valley gave them the name of the suspect in their CCTV and a few weeks later this happens fuming is an understatement .

Sorry about the stolen motorhome and your police HELP !!!!!!

About 3 years ago whilst we were out for a walk one sunday morning and whilst walking past a large Plumber merchants yard we heard some odd noises coming from where the lorries were parked in the yard. We looked over the fence and saw 3 men extracting diesel from lorries into containers. My wife shouted at the men and at he same time I called 999 reporting a theft in progress etc. The police told me to wait where I was and they would be on the scene asap. When the men knew they had been rumbled the grabbed their containers and put them into their Transit van and drove directly past us. I had taken photos on my phone, gave a description i.e number of van, number of men etc to the police before they turned up. I also gave the police a running commentary of the route the Transit had taken which was to the nearby Travellers Site.

The police did not turn up until 3/4 hour later and I was advised the description I had given did not help them and that the Reg Nr etc I gave which was also on my camera phone did not match any vehicle.

So for my good deed, I got a thanks from the Key Holder of the Plumbers Merchant for alerting the police, and as for the police......forget it.

So is it worthwhile calling them ????

Hi Barney,

'So for my good deed, I got a thanks from the Key Holder of the Plumbers Merchant for alerting the police, and as for the police......forget it.

So is it worthwhile calling them ???? '

Yes-it is worthwhile notifying the Police. WHY? because you know it is the right thing to do.

Better to err on the side of doing what is principally correct., even though it may leave you frustrated at times.

cheers

derek

Well, I suppose the police have to prioritise. A couple of years ago there was the most horrific shouting match between a couple in a flat in the adjoining house. I was seriously worried there would be violence and called the police who arrived within a couple of minutes.

Hi Derek

""""Yes-it is worthwhile notifying the Police. WHY? because you know it is the right thing to do.

Better to err on the side of doing what is principally correct., even though it may leave you frustrated at times.

cheers

derek"""""""

All I am going to say further is that, if you read my post again, I said the thieves Transit van drove into the "Travellers Site"

So read into that what you wish.

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2016-01-17 3:55 PM

At the moment there are 8 people that have been arrested. There are two scrapyards involved, one is in Blackburn and the other is, believe it or not about half a mile away from us.....if I look out of our bedroom window I can just see it. >:-(

Dave

They could probably see into your back garden and got scrapyard envy :D ........

tidesreach23 - 2016-01-16 5:28 PM

I think it's more than possible where mine was last spotted was on route to this place . I was given information and a man named as a suspect I passed this to the police in Skipton they were not interested . It turns out the man named worked for this scrap yard and looks like the suspect in CCTV for a motor homes theft in the Ribble Valley .

I am fuming with the police was told there was no connection a few weeks back told me Ford transits were not being stolen to order I knew different . Told that the crimes were not connected and I was wasting their time with the imformation I had given them .

I contacted the police in the Ribble Valley gave them the name of the suspect in their CCTV and a few weeks later this happens fuming is an understatement .

I can well understand your fury. Some years ago i had "an issue" involving lack of Police activity and i contacted a friend of mine who at the time was a DI. He helped me with information i was not privy to (don't need to go into detail) but advised me to write to the Chief Inspector concerning the matter. He told me he would then have to contact me (by letter) which he did, and he asked to meet with him.

Whether it still works this way i've no idea as this was 25 years ago so things may have changed now, but it's something worth trying. Phoning is useless. No record.

You mentioned that you now have a replacement motorhome. Out of curiosity can you tell us what your experience was like with your insurance company? Did they settle the full market value?

Wirehaired - 2016-01-18 8:41 PM

I believe one of those scrap yards is in Bacup,its been in business for decades.

It is and it's Alf Kyme scrapyard. Alf died a few year ago, he was a bit of a rogue but always a fair bloke. He let you go in the yard and take part's of the scrap cars but there were some who stole off him. He knew who they were and when we were talking one day (He caught one stealing) he said, "yes I know Dave but when I collect their scrap cars, the price of scrap metal always drops dramatically".

Dave

Archived