Thule v Fiamma Awnings

Thurlestone

Dear Members,

I have requested help a number of times and on each occasion we have been delighted that the help we received guided us well into making the correct purchase for our needs. Once again we are seeking advice and knowledge. We are thinking of fitting a pull out awning to our Knaus SunTi and know we need a 3.5 m version. We previously owned a Fiamma version but found we were dubious about its strength in any wind conditions. We wish to use it for shade and rain covering in light conditions but won't leave it out overnight or when away from the van. We have heard so much sales talk from both companies that confusion has set in. Can yone give advice as to the pros and cons to each make.

Thurlestone

Having had both on various vans I am inclined to follow in the footsteps of Andy Stothert who has a much lighter simpler style of awning on his van. I recall that he has described the setup on this forum in the past. It has far less to go wrong, it must be a lot cheaper, and I imagine it would be a lot more sturdy.

AGD

Hi David, our MH came fitted with an Omnistor awning that I understand is part of the Thule Group. My initial reaction when we first used it was one of concern due to the "floppy" nature of it's reaction to light winds. I have since fitted a front & rear antiflap kit and a centre curved rafter. This made a significant difference when installed with two guy ropes at each end. We also purchased a slide in end wall and side wall. Both of these when installed made a significant difference. Set up time is approx 10 minutes extra but well worth the small effort involved. This structure has stood up to some strong winds however if the forecast is for high winds we normally pull the awning in. Cheers,

I have the Fiamma Awning, - It appears a little flimsy in construction however it does the job for us, - I always put pegs in both feet and for the grand price of £7.50 at a show I bought a long cargo strap with 2 of the biggest tent pegs I have ever seen along with a spring. I put this over the top along the outside edge, - Even in moderate winds with this in place it seems sturdy - if the weather takes a turn for the worse - Or we leave the van, I wind it in.

My wife is disabled and the good thing is that I can erect the awning and take it down on my own with a little care, I have to say I am pretty happy with it, - does what is says on the tin, we use if for shade more than anything else.

I suspect the whole fitment is pretty heavy though and it will thus use up a piece of the weight allowance.

We were offered side panels for the thing - vastly over priced in my opinion, - Think they were another £800 on top of the cost of the awning although I am considering a small Vango airbeam driveaway which would have a small bedroom.

If I was you I would think very carefully whether you really need one, or is it just a want? I would never buy one.

We've had 4 vans each with an awning fitted and both makes, hardly used any of them. Far too much trouble than they're worth IMO.

Earlier this year we spent 108 days mostly in Spain, and did not use it once.Maybe it just our style of motorhoming.

We've had both makes and I'd say there was nothing to choose between them. Longer ones tend to come with a center rafter. If not I'd recommend getting one as an extra but do make sure the awning has the fixing points for one as some of the shorter ones don't. We use the proper manufactures straps that have a metal end that clips into the top of the leg. Bit more expensive but very secure. Never pass storm straps over the top of the fabric. We also have a so called sun blocker that fits into the channel on the front of either awnings. It does what it says as they say and helps provide a bit of extra stability. Do read the instructions with especial note being taken to only part wind the awning out then take the weight on the legs and as they say walk them out. Dealers selling secondhand vans tend to forget to mention this. Failure to do so puts a hell of a load on the vans side panels and the awnings mechanism.

Again we have had both makes, and found them about the same in quality and strength. We use ours mainly as rain covers, and ALWAYS tie it down, even if only putting it up for an hour.We use Cargo straps from Toolstation, and large heavy duty pegs/stakes.Easy to deploy and easy to put away, for us, an essential accesory. Agree with the above, a centre rafter pole adds strength, we always use one.

Charles - 2016-07-22 6:19 AM

Our fiamma came with leg holders to screw on the side of the van are these worth fitting?

Yes, I fitted the leg holders on the side of the van - wouldn't be without them.

Useful when it's raining (and warm) so we can have the hab door open. The awning is only extended enough to stop the rain coming in. Also good when parked on tarmac when you can't peg the legs down.

Charles - 2016-07-22 6:19 AM

Our fiamma came with leg holders to screw on the side of the van are these worth fitting?

Yes. I witnessed police in France remonstrate with a French MH on an Aires who had his awning out with legs on ground. Legs were moved into the brackets and he went away content having upheld the law.

• 2 months later...

Have had Fiamma, but present Burstner factory fitted Omnistor (now Thule). Prefer the latter, and it flaps a lot less than the Fiamma. we always use centre pole ( 4m awning), and mostly the end poles also which will take the side if required. Also have the sunblocker, though rarely use that in practice..Mostly we use the additional strap over the front, and the ratchet type clipped to the top of the end poles..

If a sheltered pitch then tend to leave it out, especially if the sides are in, as that gives extra hold and strgth being pegged to the ground.

Just in process of changing the MH, and the new one comes equipped with 3.5m Thule, but don't know if that include a centre pole- if not we shall certainly buy one. we are also considering a freestanding one, but have a watch the add weight,

Hi Phil, our awning side & end sunscreens came from a local (Australia) RV accessory company called Coast RV. The brand they sell is Coast to Coast that they have made for them (possibly in China). If you go to the website www.coastrv.com.au & go to awning accessories you will see the range. As caravans are more popular here than MH's the images show caravans however they work equally as well on a Thule or Fiamma MH awning. There is a track in the awning that allows the side sunscreen to slide in from one end. The end screen fits into the track on the antiflap rafters we have also purchased. The antiflap kits are from www.aussietraveller.com.au go to antiflap kits. I would expect that similar products are available in the UK. Hope this helps. If you need more info send me a PM. cheers,

355343144_Awning_generalview.jpg.28d3b9245e1b36bf0a83bf17c6d37650.jpg

621740417_Awning_generalview.jpg.284df27208f2b024cd03b66697508df8.jpg

Awning_antiflap.jpg.ad70db8f1816254d96ba3f0b34a2c225.jpg

I just got the 'Rafter' for our Fiamma F45 the other week, it's very good and makes the awning solid, no more sagging with the rain or having to guy rope it down thoroughly. Just peg the feet down and it's been great on the windy days. Any storms forecast and I'd wind it in though still. Was £21 on eBay

Archived