Window rubber lubricant

stevec176

stevec176 - 2017-10-13 11:27 AM

The roof light sticks to the rubber seal so when I want to open it I have to manually seperate the seal from the window, can anyone recommend a suitable grease to stop this happening.

There is a lubricant for the seals on thetford toilets. Maybe that would do.

PJay

There's lots of sealant lubrication stuff out there....some expensive some cheap as chips.  I use silicone spray on a cloth and wipe around the seal.  A valeting guy recommends this stuff....  Gummi Pflege.....yes that is the correct spelling ...just google it to find out, oh and it's quite cheap as well.

I use Gummi Pflege but my windows still stick to the rubber surrounds. Probably because I don't use it often enough. I believe it should be used at least every 2-3 months not just once in the summer. Try and get the spray rather than the foam pad bottle and keep it away from the curtains. Spraying on to a cloth is easier.

Halford do a silicone spray which I found was as good for reducing stickiness and not as messy.

I'm told that a good wash with soap and water is all you need so you could try that. Regularly opening the windows helps.

I wipe my caravan's window seals and car door seals with a rag dusted with talc' powder.

Seems over the decades to work, the van is 10 years old as was the last car.

Not supposed to be a healthy thing to use for its intended purpose these days so now "sealing" a bit is tolerated more than before.

Autoglym have a rubber conditioner.. I have used it over the years and seems to have worked. I just mindful of gently opening the windows, just in case the rubbers stick.

That aside fellow mo/homers might recall some years ago, the there was a bad batch of rubbers that flooded the trade. We had our windows re-rubbered by Swift, although the Kontiki was out of warranty free of charge.

Rgds

I use Simonz Bumper and Trim Gel meant for both Plastics and Rubber. It doesn't smear and being a Gel goes exactly where it is required on the rubber and leaves it shinier and slippery.

More coats of the semi Clear Gel build up the protection. Because it is also designed for Tyres 'glossing' it is a tough doesn't seem to wash off like the Silicon does.

It is described as 'Back to Black' but is semi Clear works great at restoring Grey Bumbers too that have faded.

It is claimed to restore plastic and rubbers, rather than just a coating. See :

http://www.diy.com/departments/simoniz-bumper-trim-cleaner-500ml/257380_BQ.prd

It is described as 'Back to Black' but is semi Clear works great at restoring Grey Bumbers too that have faded. Can't find many sellers of it, so maybe hard to get now?

But don't buy the Jet Black product which I think is Black and might mark the Plastic?

The Turtle Wax Clear Gel product seems similar and is claimed to stop cracking in Tyres? : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turtle-Wax-Tyre-Bumper-Gel-Car-Plastic-Rubber-Cleaner-Restorer-Polish-500ml-/222455732868?epid=536404052&hash=item33cb651a84:g:YRoAAOSwhQhY26BS

Archived