X2/50 ECU wiring loom chafing on bracket

John52

After reading a thread on the Ducato forum I took my N/S headlight out this morning. I was astonished to find the wiring loom to the ECU had chafed through right down to the wire - on a smooth steel tube! 8-)

The paint had worn off the steel tube just where it touched the loom, corroding it so its surface was like sandpaper.

If it had been left to go any further I guess it would have played havoc with the ECU >:-)

Will try to attach pics I have bound it with tape (red for clarity) and rubber hose for protection.

You would struggle to see anything with the headlight in place, but you may be able to feel the loom for chafing.

1187542394_X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(1).thumb.jpg.66c025f51bdf1caf865b2764dff7dea8.jpg

103854660_X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(2).thumb.jpg.aff83ab163db6f0a3ec5c5e28bf38f67.jpg

2146114358_X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(3).thumb.jpg.8a42de5e2ce127e4d64613aac456ca3a.jpg

To take out the headlight you need to undo the screws on the trim (one on the lower, two on the higher) then prise out the trim as its held by clips. It feels like the trim might crack but mine never has. I think you just have to take a chance on that.

Then 3 x 10mm bolts to release the headlight, and then slide up the clip on the electrical connector plug to release it. Easy when you know how :-D

My van is a 2007 build 2.3 130. The wiring loom you have had to repair has an abrasion resistant cover on my van and is ok. However, I seem to have an extra loom which has been rubbing on the same metal tube and although ok it has almost worn through the protection. I'm glad I had a look.

Photos attached (blue hose is a scuttle drainage modification). I did break one of the clips on the lower plastic cover but it will be ok.

Kev

SAM_3920.JPG.0d23f8a7119c4f25eecc9a9c45c36369.JPG

SAM_3921.JPG.d13b2b5260c7a3a5b4d3f6e74fd340e9.JPG

Many thanks for the pics. The part of my wiring loom which had rubbed through to the wire is in the top left corner of my first picture. I wasw holding it up out of the way to show the rusty patch on the metal tube where it had chafed.

Mine is a Citroen Relay 2.2, manufactured about April 2008 (registered 2009) so its interesting your loom has a protective sleeve and mine hasn't. Does the protective sleeve look like it has been fitted after manufacture like my slit rubber hose slipped over the loom and tied? Or is it a tube that the loom would have to be fed through the tube during manufacture before the plugs were fitted on the end?

The protective sleeve is the woven-looking cover on the upper loom, this was undamaged and is original Fiat fit. The lower loom has a sort of "felt" protection and it was this that was nearly worn through on the rusty metal tube.

Thanks for the heads-up again; all back together now.

The felt protection seems a bit better than mine which was ordinary black insulation tape.

I had a good loook round where the loom touched other metal parts but there was no sign of rust as they were part of the main galvanised bodyshell. The problem just seems to be the paint on this black metal tube that rubs off easily, rust makes the surface rough as sandpaper, and it grinds away at the loom insulation unseen.

Hi

Took a look at Mine Yesterday. I used an Endoscope to view the underside which appears to be OK. I guess I will do Belt and braces and put some Flexible Covering on it at some point soon.

I am a Fiat Forum user, but I had missed that one!. So many Thanks!.

Pete

Archived