swift recalls

johnny g

I recently had the "missing bolts" inspection on my 2013 bolero. All bolts were present and correct.

However, the engineer asked if I had received the "window seal recall". I informed him that I was unaware of the recall. The engineer then carried out a damp survey and discovered damp below a number of windows. Consequently, I need to book in to have the seals replaced.

Excuse my ignorance, but will this damp dry out after the seals have been replaced ?

I'm surprised that as the first owner, I didn't receive a recall notice. Owners that are not aware of this recall might want to contact Swift to check that they are not affected.

if the insulation failed a damp test under the windows then the van is DAMP and should be dealt with accordingly ie old insulation stripped out and replaced then resealed with the correct seals etc. nothing else would satisfy me if it were my van. and before you sign off the work have it independently damp tested to your satisfaction. at the moment you have paid an awful lot of money for a damp van!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. jt.

globebuster - 2014-02-15 8:03 PM

What amazes me is how such a big concern as the Swift Group continue to make these cock-ups!

With the Seal recall - some drying out will need to be done for sure, and this on a van less than 12 months old!

Truly Shocking.

I am surprised that it amazes you -- just look at some of the older threads re Swift. I said farewell to my Bolero at 3 months old, when after numerous faults I returned my bolero to the dealers, handed over the keys.

mike 202 - 2014-02-16 12:47 PM

globebuster - 2014-02-15 8:03 PM

What amazes me is how such a big concern as the Swift Group continue to make these cock-ups!

With the Seal recall - some drying out will need to be done for sure, and this on a van less than 12 months old!

Truly Shocking.

I am surprised that it amazes you -- just look at some of the older threads re Swift. I said farewell to my Bolero at 3 months old, when after numerous faults I returned my bolero to the dealers, handed over the keys.

I was trying to be courteous ! - No point in upsetting the poster any further.......

OK I'll re-phrase it - 'I'm amazed people still buy Swift Group coach-builts' given the abysmal sub standard stuff they seem to churn out.

Read some of my earlier threads -

:-D

Globebuster - You phrased my meaning far more clearly than i did.

Johnny g is making his first post and I may have wrongly assumed that he is new to motorhomes.

Johnny myy comment was meant to help and not to upset you, but rather give the confidence to pursue and not give up on getting a satisfactory conclusion to this sad damp motorhome incident

Without knowledge of what has happened in the past it is all too easy to be fobbed off with statements like " its a one off" or "It slipped through our rigorous build controls" " Re the "window seal recall you must have slipped through the net".

I also think that a damp test by an independant/mobile motorhome service agent is essential following any repairs.

Please don't despair perseverance will get you there in the end

mike

johnny g - 2014-02-12 1:01 PM

I recently had the "missing bolts" inspection on my 2013 bolero. All bolts were present and correct.

However, the engineer asked if I had received the "window seal recall". I informed him that I was unaware of the recall. The engineer then carried out a damp survey and discovered damp below a number of windows. Consequently, I need to book in to have the seals replaced.

Excuse my ignorance, but will this damp dry out after the seals have been replaced ?

I'm surprised that as the first owner, I didn't receive a recall notice. Owners that are not aware of this recall might want to contact Swift to check that they are not affected.

Do not despair.

We currently have a Swift Group panel van conversion, an Autocruise Rhythm. We had lots of minor issues when we first got the van, new, in 2011 eg plumbing joints not properly fixed so we had minor leaks/seepage. The issues were all resolved and van has performed perfectly since.

I know this should not happen but sadly it did/does!

Our last motorhome was an Adria Coral coachbuilt which had very few issues but when we did, getting replacement bits - handles for example - was impossible. We traded it in being sick of trying to open overhead lockers without a handle.

Good luck

Arthur

i cannot understand what the issues are with SWIFT i continually read of issues regarding swift vans seemingly from around 2007 onwards re dampness issues -- wrong seals--badly fitted internal and external fitments to many to cover. AND YET i have a 1996 SWIFT ROYALE 610 the build quality is superb no damp issues no rotting floor no badly or wrongly fitted seals bodywork inside and out spot-on everything about the van is superb. everything works as it should. SO WHAT HAS GONE WRONG AT SWIFT????????? it can only be down to bad management and quality control. begs the question did the company change ownership sometime early 2000? because they seem to regressed. jt.

• 2 weeks later...

Update......

I spoke with someone on the Swift stand at the NEC and he informs me that there wasn't an official window seals recall, but that they are checking vans during the bolt check as a precaution.

So don't be concerned if you haven't received a recall notice for the window seals.

All comments are appreciated, I'm sure this will be resolved.

jaytee74 - 2014-02-16 8:57 PM

i cannot understand what the issues are with SWIFT i continually read of issues regarding swift vans seemingly from around 2007 onwards re dampness issues -- wrong seals--badly fitted internal and external fitments to many to cover. AND YET i have a 1996 SWIFT ROYALE 610 the build quality is superb no damp issues no rotting floor no badly or wrongly fitted seals bodywork inside and out spot-on everything about the van is superb. everything works as it should. SO WHAT HAS GONE WRONG AT SWIFT????????? it can only be down to bad management and quality control. begs the question did the company change ownership sometime early 2000? because they seem to regressed. jt.

You got the Friday afternoon one. :D :D :D

There are too many damp issues to be a coincidence with Swift coachbuilts which can be confirmed by looking on the Swift and other forums. I suppose the Swift Kontiki was not nicknamed the Swift Konleaky for nothing!

Having said that my Swift panel van has been trouble free.

Update......

I spoke with someone on the Swift stand at the NEC and he informs me that there wasn't an official window seals recall, but that they are checking vans during the bolt check as a precaution.

So don't be concerned if you haven't received a recall notice for the window seals.

This is an example of a manufacturer trying to keep something out of the public domain. If they are checking on the quiet then they are worried but don't want to let everybody know. I would call it sharp practice and devious. You make your own mind up.

Wills Wagon - 2014-02-25 1:58 PM

Update......

This is an example of a manufacturer trying to keep something out of the public domain. If they are checking on the quiet then they are worried but don't want to let everybody know. I would call it sharp practice and devious. You make your own mind up.

Autotrail are not immune from issues either if my memory serves me correct.

Rayjsj - 2014-02-25 2:19 PM

Autotrail are not immune from issues either if my memory serves me correct.

Please elaborate, genuinely Interested, (Autotrail owner, who does not like being a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed on Shxx !) ;-) Ray

You can search this site and use Google as well as anyone. But just for starters look at the thread below this and here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Autotrail-window-leak-Update/29946/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Autotrail-window-leak/29583/

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-95372-autotrail-damp-problems.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-problems/16029-autotrail-apache-problems.html

There are others - one particularly bad from a lady with a disabled child who had her van ruined on it's first outing from spanking brand new. My point is that Swift are not alone. Here:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/OH-HEKI-/28755/

So I am right in thinking that this is the situation -

Swift are aware of the problem, but have decided to keep it within the confides of the trade.

So what happens if the chap doing the bolt recall and/or hab check doesn't remember to investigate [assuming he's be told in the first place] around the windows,? you remain blissfully unaware that you have a problem until the next habitation check - or you notice the stains maybe!

That's just bloody awful IMO.

Whilst I appreciate all you follow posters are trying to be up-beat about the situation, and adding your own experiences - WHY do you all put up with this manufacturing ineptitude !!!!!!!!!!

While the windows are getting done, get your guy to take a good look at the underside too - or better still poke around yourself Johnny

I purchased a new Bolero at the end of September 2013 and it was checked early December for the Bolt fault. No fault with the bolts but yes we have a damp problem from window seals. The van goes back to the Swift factory at the end of March for 6 weeks and we should get it back after the first May bank holiday. We already have plans for a trip round Scotland at Easter and to go away for the May Bank Holiday, which I informed Swift of but they still booked it in!! However, there is no 6 week gap that we won't use the van until end of the September, so feel it would be better to get it dealt with as there are many other outstanding faults - cupboard doors don't lock; condensation forms on the outside of the freezer door; water runs down the inside of the habitation door onto the blind, when you open the door; stones through up from the road and enter the van via the vent at the step up to the front lounge area; work top around sink has blown at a joint (but now assume this is due to this damp forming inside van). Wish I'd kept my old Bessacarr now. 8o|

Sorry to hear of your problems Snoffy -

If your posting is true and accurate [please don't take that the wrong way] just seems unbelievable how they expect you to conform with their arrangements!

Given all your issues, I would not disrupt any holiday plans, I would ask for a replacement van for the period in question - either from Swift or the supplying dealer.

Failing that, just take the holiday - get them to work around you.....THE CUSTOMER.

Swift obviously don't consider that leaving things to deteriorate will be detrimental to the work being carried out - as there is already such a long time-scale between identifying the problem and the job being commenced!!

I would think if there IS ingress, then it needs immediate attention - not 4 months after appraisal.

It's clear that Swift are fitting your [actually their] problem around their production schedule - the reality is they ought to have made it right in the first place!

Having forked out good money, why should your enjoyment be curtailed because of poor build quality?

If you had purchased a new car with this much trouble, and were to be without it for 6 weeks - would you put up with it?

Personally I would insist on the van being replaced [or my money back] it's surely not fit for purpose.

Likewise Snoffy.....Sorry to hear about your situation, at least my problems are limited to the damp (up to now)

Why do we put up with "manufacturing ineptitude" ?...Realistically, do we have a choice ?

Has anyone in a similar situation ever successfully returned a vehicle for an exchange or refund?

The more cynical amongst us might suggest that the bolts issue is a subterfuge to gain access for damp testing without panicking owners.

johnny g - 2014-02-28 8:56 AM

Why do we put up with "manufacturing ineptitude" ?...Realistically, do we have a choice ?

I really so feel sorry for people who have invested their life savings in these lemons and I hope they get them sorted.

Do we have a choice, yes we do there is so much information around about water ingress and poor build quality on both Swift & Autotrail I really do not understand why people still buy them. I blame a lot on the press too interested in their advertising revenue to report any problems that might effect their revenue, they keep telling us how wonderful these vans are when they know the truth but will not publish it.

Well you do have choice - there must be dozens of manufacturers now - maybe 20 years ago it was different, but not these days.

Potential buyers now have a wealth of information at their finger-tips - literally; upon which to make a judgement, and base their choice on that research.

I do agree that your chances for rejection are slim, and your cynicism regarding the 'bolt check' may well be valid.

As I've said so many times in different posts - if I thought there was a decent UK coach-built van I might consider it, but I see only evidence of poor design, poor execution and dubious quality control.

Likewise, I'm not saying Euro vans don't suffer with problems - but generally speaking the design concept and construction are significantly better.

Just take a look underneath a new Swift/Bessacar for starters.......

My greatest concern for anyone with a potential ingress problem is the time-scale [especially given the recent weather] offered by the manufacturer to redress the issue.

I can only agree with lenny and globebusters last posts.... :-S

The "mainstream" MH press are little more than advertising tools....and as such they're not going to rubbish a product and risk losing umpteen pages of advertising revenue....

And unfortunately for many first-timers, they are usually the first port of call when seeking to do any "research"...

I would guess, that even today, the number of first-time MHers who use the net to research( prior to making a purchase)is probably still quite low...they'll call in to showrooms, go to the odd show...buy a few mags...etc. It's usually only when faults arise that folk look online, to see what's what.....

And in their defence, they shouldn't really need to, should they...

"...Oh darling!...I'm just going online to check if this brand new, 60K+ vehicle we're planning to buy, is likely to leak like a sieve.." ??! :-S

How can manufactures get things so wrong, so many times..... :-S

(..I suppose it's because folk keep getting blinded by bling and keep going back for more?....)

To snoffy...Sorry about your experience...a bit late now but I would've insisted that they took it in and got it sorted and dried,as soon as the "damp" was discovered..and if they couldn't?..then I would've wanted my money back! ( ...and I would've seen what that sparked them into doing..).

Waiting umpteen months to fix a damp issue on a new vehicle is ridiculous... :-S

I bought a new VW T4 with a high spec which I then had converted. After about 500 miles the automatic gearbox failed and had to be replaced. VW could not locate one and could not say when they would have one, unbelievable in the computer age for an item which costs a few thousand. After 2 or 3 weeks of no-one knowing where a gearbox might be they agreed to take one out of a Caravelle demonstrator, pay £200 against the cost of a holiday and do the first service free. I did have to shout a lot though

The dealer, who had been most helpful throughout. told me that a gearbox turned up out of the blue the day after they did the swap *-)

I would ask for compensation for loss of use. Insurance, tax and depreciation is one way. The other is the cost of hiring a replacement. VW Care ( >:-( ) said they don't do compensation but made goodwill gestures.

Well Pepe,

You have echoed my post of last October [NEC Show] to the letter!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I guess those who are suffering from these numerous problems must be feeling sick to the stomach.

I still think that both the initial poster and Snoffy, should demand a much swifter [excuse the unintended pun] response.

Lets face it - if these windows have been known to leak since December, what level of ingress might there be now?

Swift Group should attend to these issues immediately - and if it f**ks up their production so be it!

I didn't know anything about the water ingress until I got a letter from swift approx 2 weeks ago. After they did the bolt test I was advised that all was ok and then a further letter dropped through the door. This is our 2nd motorhome and I had read a lot on-line regarding damp issues but I thought that on the basis that this van had a ten year damp proof guarantee that they would have improved their build, but I have now learned my lesson. (also most damp issues seemed to be around 2007 models) Other than the faults mentioned in my previous post, it has been back a dealer for another week getting work done on it, and I am most definitely not a perpetual moaner. I am very upset at the recall and actually don’t have a free 6 week period for it to be repaired until October but as someone said I think it is better that I get it sorted sooner rather than later. I have a called swift and I am waiting on their recall team to call back to try and arrange the work to be after our Easter trip but I am also concerned that it then runs into summer and we don’t have it back in time to go off to France. You live and learn but I won’t be buying a swift again!!

Archived