swift recalls

johnny g

Anyone remember the Landrover owner who got fed up like you. Well he put the story on his vehicle, big letters, parked it outside the dealers and called the media. Although the dealers and Landrover objected there was nothing they could do as the vehicle was taxed insured etc and parked on a public road, allbeit outside their premises.

So a nice new motorhome parked outside Swift manufacturing with the TRUE story of what is wrong an their terrible treatment of you, a call to the media should get them of of their high handed " you the customer dosn't matter" .

I know that your contract is with the dealer but direct action on Swift would probably produce better results.

Your plight on here is unfortunately restricted to a very limited audience, but 5mins of fame in the newspaper or on TV would probably concentrate their minds.

Informing them that you feel that your fellow and potential motorhome owners should have full and comprehensive information to allow an informed choice for future purchases and that you will put your situation on all of the forums that you belong to plus the internet plus the above demo, may mean that all of the above is not necessary.

Anyway good luck and keep us informed of progress

mike

Hi Snoffy,

I know everyone is chipping in with their thoughts - me included.......but I would insist on the work being done at the earliest convenience to YOU.

I would cite the fact that, as time goes by the problem could potentially worsen - but that you are simply not prepared to re-arrange your plans to suit them, not unreasonable given your predicament.

Whatever happens, I hope you get the problem resolved to your satisfaction.

Oh, and by the way - do you have your Aux Battery stowed under floor in a rear locker?

Finally got to speak to appropriate person at swift this afternoon. They have agreed to be flexible on the date of the work. Issue now is finding a 6 week period when van is not being used. That's not until October but I'd rather have everything looked at before then, so compromise will be to do our trip round Scottish coast at Easter school holidays then give it up for 6 weeks, so we get it back as our kids finish school at end of June.

Thank you all for your support, it really helped when I spoke to Swift today.

I'll let you all know the outcome to all the work whenever it gets completed.

Snoffy - 2014-02-28 7:15 PM

Finally got to speak to appropriate person at swift this afternoon. They have agreed to be flexible on the date of the work. Issue now is finding a 6 week period when van is not being used. That's not until October but I'd rather have everything looked at before then, so compromise will be to do our trip round Scottish coast at Easter school holidays then give it up for 6 weeks, so we get it back as our kids finish school at end of June.

Thank you all for your support, it really helped when I spoke to Swift today.

I'll let you all know the outcome to all the work whenever it gets completed.

Have you also kept the dealer in the picture? If not you should, because they have the legal obligation to you to recitfy faults. It should have been be the dealer who contacted Swift on your behalf, and it should have been the dealer who arranged for your van to be repaired, by Swift, under their warranty. You should not be having to do any of the legwork, as it seems you are.

I'm going to suggest you go back to the dealer with your list of defects and ask them to remedy all that they can immediately, and to make temporary repairs to the others to prevent further damage pending the van's return to Swift. Leakage through windows should be quite easy to repair on a temporary basis, if that is all they can do, and will prevent more widespread damage from further ingress. Even the door leakage might be temporarily solved by adjusting the hinges so that the door meets the seal at its head.

You should make clear to the dealer that you hold them fully responsible for these defects, irrespective of Swift's warranty. Too many dealers seem to try to fob their customers off by saying there is nothing they can do, because the warranty comes from the manufacturer. This is completely untrue: under consumer legislation the dealer has all the responsibility and the manufacturer none. Besides which, you have a reciprocal obligation to the dealer to try to minimise damage resulting from a defect, and to give the dealer a chance to carry out repairs himself. If you do reach a stage at which you have to resort to legal action against the dealer, your case will be weakened if you have missed out these steps. To be clear, I'm not suggesting you should follow the legal route, just that you should put yourself in the most favourable position possible - in case! Good luck.

Archived