wild camping on lewis

Steffan

hi, everyone as you will see this is my first post so if there is any faults iam sorry in advance,

we haven't got a campervan YET but by march we will have or may be sooner.

we are getting a trigano tribute 2003--2006.

first trip will be up Scotland as we love it. just looking on google earth at the Butt of Lewis would there be a problem staying overnight near the lighthouse does anyone know also any places without a problem on these islands

thanks in advance hope its not to boring

welcome to the forum, no problem at the lighthouse or around Lewis, there are a few campsites as well, it has changed abit since i was there but as long as you don't park on the machire and respect the locals and leave no trace you have been there, you won't have any problems, things are sign posted on what you can/can't do anyway so enjoy!

jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to the forum

As Silverback says, leave no mess and don't upset the farmers etc.

There are a few campsites on Lewis and Harris that are not regimented ( park where you like) and you pay by Honesty box arrangement.

Enjoy your travels

By Lewis I also assume that you will have access to Harris.

We were there in May 2017 and wildcamped at various sites as well as using some of the "organised" sites to empty toilet, fill up with water etc.

We didn't get up to the Lews lighthouse but would recommend the Tolsta [north east];Cliff Machair [near Uig on north west coast.]

Best of all was on Harris at designated "wild" spots provided by the West Harris Trust around the Luskentyre area.

Best to check out the UKCampsites website as well as The West Harris Trust website [they also have two "proper" sites]

Hope that helps.

PilgrimPhil

Hi

Just back from a tour of Uist, Harris and Lewis. Easy wilding, no issues, a few locations on West Harris (eg SW of Tarbert) where the West Harris Trust has put up signs requesting a fiver a night paid by paypal - no facilities and not gonna begrudge them a fiver! Plenty spots all-over anyway, but also a few no overnight parking signs. Don't miss Uig area - well worth the detour, superb beaches, and plenty spots to overnight, butt of lewis also not an issue. I'll get some pictures up.

For those not used to single-track roads - don't wind up the locals!

- Use passing places to let traffic past (even if its just one vehicle stuck behind you)

- Look both ways when pulling out of a junction

- Be able to reverse your outfit back to a passing place as necessary

- Don't expect the other party to be the one that always pulls over

- Don't park in passing places

Oh, and DONT park on the Machair - that really gets motorhomers a bad name - oh and spend some money in the shops - otherwise its all take and no give!

Enjoy your trip!

Nigel

Archived