A Coalition of Wreckers?

StuartO

We read this morning that all the opposition parties have agreed to cooperate in order to block a no deal brexit, without any constructive follow up. They can't agree on a vote of no confidence because they can't agree on what comes next so that as far as they are planning for.

In many (if not all) cases what they really want to do is block Brexit altogether, but mostly they shy away from admitting that - just the Liberals and the SNP actually own up to their determination to stay in the EU and therefore to go against the result of the 2016 Referendum.

I wonder what Boris has got up his sleeve to get around this bump in the road?

StuartO - 2019-08-28 9:25 AM

We read this morning that all the opposition parties have agreed to cooperate in order to block a no deal brexit, without any constructive follow up. They can't agree on a vote of no confidence because they can't agree on what comes next so that as far as they are planning for.

In many (if not all) cases what they really want to do is block Brexit altogether, but mostly they shy away from admitting that - just the Liberals and the SNP actually own up to their determination to stay in the EU and therefore to go against the result of the 2016 Referendum.

I wonder what Boris has got up his sleeve to get around this bump in the road?

Possibly not much. One theory is that he wants to be stopped. He has done a good job of pretending to be Nigel Farage for a few months. He has totally seen off the Brexit party who are now nowhere. He will know no deal will be a disaster for the country but him caving in and not leaving will also be as damaging for him. If he can make it look like those treacherous remainers and Parliament stopped him he can hold up his hands and say well I did what I could but its out of my hands.

Speaking of wreckers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_politics&ns_linkname=news_central&ns_source=twitter

So now we know just how much Boris wants to restore parliamentary sovereignty.

Interestingly Adolf Hitler did the same thing in 1934. I can only assume that those in favour of this action are a firm admirers of Nazism.

I don't see that takes Boris anywhere useful unless he calls a General Election, then blaming the Remainers for stopping Brexit without having an alternative constructive plan. He would presumably prefer a last minute deal but the EU will probably stick, hoping that the HOC will block no deal so the UK will come begging for another extension.

I suspect Boris has got something up his sleeve to drive Brexit forward.

StuartO - 2019-08-28 10:08 AM

Fast Pat - 2019-08-28 10:02 AM .....Interestingly Adolf Hitler did the same thing in 1934. I can only assume that those in favour of this action are a firm admirers of Nazism.

Some people jump to very strange conclusions!

What else do you want call fascism with a unelected dictator?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

Fast Pat - 2019-08-28 10:13 AM ... What else do you want call fascism with a unelected dictator? ...

You are entitled to your opinion but I suggest you are extrapolating ad absurdam and you make yourself look foolish by doing so. We are in the process of discovering that there are pitfalls in our Constitution and perhaps also in our Parliamentary customs and procedures but we certainly haven't got a Nazi-style Enablement Act.

StuartO - 2019-08-28 10:34 AM

Fast Pat - 2019-08-28 10:13 AM ... What else do you want call fascism with a unelected dictator? ...

You are entitled to your opinion but I suggest you are extrapolating ad absurdam and you make yourself look foolish by doing so. We are in the process of discovering that there are pitfalls in our Constitution and perhaps also in our Parliamentary customs and procedures but we certainly haven't got a Nazi-style Enablement Act.

So you suspend parliament so that our elected representatives can do nothing whilst the executive does what it wants to do without scrutiny or challenge - what do you call it then?

StuartO - 2019-08-28 10:05 AM

I don't see that takes Boris anywhere useful unless he calls a General Election, then blaming the Remainers for stopping Brexit without having an alternative constructive plan. He would presumably prefer a last minute deal but the EU will probably stick, hoping that the HOC will block no deal so the UK will come begging for another extension.

You seem to have overlooked the possibility that whilst parliament is suspended we leave by default on a no deal basis?

To "wreck" something would imply that it had been intact and running smoothly beforehand....

"Easiest deal in history"......"They need us more than we need them".....

How's that all panned out then?

"Take back control of our borders"......... by creating a 300mile open land border with the EU !?

Jeeeez! Irrespective of which ever way people voted... what a ******** mess! *-)

Fast Pat - 2019-08-28 10:48 AM

StuartO - 2019-08-28 10:05 AM

You seem to have overlooked the possibility that whilst parliament is suspended we leave by default on a no deal basis?

Only the media speculators are talking about suspending Parliament so far and maybe Boris will do something along those lines. But remember the default of leaving with or without a deal was voted for by the HOC, ie the directly elected representatives and plenty of public support appears to be available for getting Brexit done with. In the meantime it does provide good spectator value!

747 - 2019-08-28 12:24 PM

Good man Boris. I can see nothing worse than a Marxist running the country, albeit temporarily.

They don't like it up 'em. :D

Ive not laughed as much in ages ... The screaming hysterics from Sadick , Soubry and the rest is hilarious ... One word they keep using is "democratic" , do they know the meaning of the word ... No Deal No Deal ... Looks like hes already met HRH ...

... Meeting went well me thinks

Republics view "Boris Johnson has thrown British politics into a deep crisis, and has shone a spotlight on the impotence of the Queen and the role of the monarch's powers."

"Already people are petitioning the Queen to intervene, but she won't. Not because she can't, but because the Queen's first priority is always the preservation of the monarchy."

"But Johnson's decision to prorogue parliament has created a unique crisis for the Queen. The convention is that the Queen does as she's told by the PM. But in normal times the PM has the full support of a majority in the Commons."

"Constitutionally the Queen is free to decide whether or not to go along with the government's plans or support the sovereign parliament."

"So the Queen has a choice to make, and she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't."

Wouldn't Boris say there has been three years of scrutiny and those who are making such a fuss about No Deal have yet to come up with anything constructive at all, they are merely chucking yet more spanners in the works - and parliament did vote to respect the referendum decision and leave the EU, so where's the problem, just those who are hoping to block Brexit altogether?

This Parliament has overrun its useful course and a new Queen's Speech and a newly thought through Government Programme is needed. I think Boris is acting reasonably in taking that course. You might argue that he is shutting Parliamemt down for longer than is necessary for the stated purpose but the Opposition always has to option to put a motion of No Confidence.

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2019-08-28 1:59 PM

Chuckle ...

... Happy days to be alive

Terrific news B-) ..........

Although the forums Remoaners are going too go to emergency state..........DEFCON 1 8-) .........

Their bowels have gone into DEFFO Continuous defecating state 1 >:-) .........

They're sh*tting themselves (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Im not. Im actually with Stuart on this one. I think it will be good spectator stuff. I think its time for the remainers to back off. I still think its bat sh1t crazy bonkers and will continue to highlight that but whatever happens next it needs to be the sole responsibility of the Brexiteers and those that still support it. You can then of course take all the glory if its a massive success or of course if its not, all the blame.

Barryd999 - 2019-08-28 5:42 PM

Im not. Im actually with Stuart on this one. I think it will be good spectator stuff. I think its time for the remainers to back off. I still think its bat sh1t crazy bonkers and will continue to highlight that but whatever happens next it needs to be the sole responsibility of the Brexiteers and those that still support it. You can then of course take all the glory if its a massive success or of course if its not, all the blame.

Dream on Barry......Brexiters will never accept blame when they've never shown any accountability! Anything which goes wrong will always be someone elses fault.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-28 6:25 PM

Dream on Barry......Brexiters will never accept blame when they've never shown any accountability! Anything which goes wrong will always be someone elses fault.

Blame??? :-S ........We haven't left yet ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-08-28 6:28 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-08-28 6:25 PM

Blame??? :-S ........

Yes, you're going to be held to account. You ran scared when i challenged you to personally stand in Swindon town centre telling the locals there, particularly Honda employees, how much better off they are all going to be from Brexit.

Well......what are you waiting for? What are you afraid of?

We haven't left yet ;-) ........

And look at the damage you've already caused.

Archived