BBC's Last Night of the Proms

StuartO

I watched the programme last night and some of the music was wonderful, despite the orchestra being thin on the ground for social distancing reasons - and the black Soprano was really good, as was the solo violinist (white, in a white frock) who played the Lark piece.

But I don't think the BBC came out of it well with their efforts to row back on their earlier decision to abandon singing Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem because they gave us a soto voce rendering by a small and well spaced out group of singers who had inadequate microphone coverage so there was nothing like enough meat in their preformance. There was no soloist for Rule Britannia and the Black Soprano, who would have sung it well, wasn't included and didn't appear wearing a colourful Britania-like frock, which was a great pity. She's South African so perhaps it would have been against her principles. The final insult was for the underwhelming choir to deliver Benjamin Brittain's version of the National Anthem with a barely audible first verse and a feeble remainder.

I feel that overall the BBC, if they really were trying to deliver a patriotic display, made a real mess of things. It came across as mere pretence at it.

StuartO - 2020-09-13 8:50 AM

I feel that overall the BBC, if they really were trying to deliver a patriotic display, made a real mess of things. It came across as mere pretence at it.

I didn't watch the programme, but I'm not at all surprised that it wasn't as good as usual.

:-|

malc d - 2020-09-13 9:55 AM

I didn't watch the programme, but I'm not at all surprised that it wasn't as good as usual.

:-|

There are some bits on this short clip and the end piece shows how empty the place was because of Covid. As for the two main themes, i wonder just how many people actually know all the verses and chorus? I expect very few.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54115935

Barryd999 - 2020-09-13 10:23 AM

Did they sing "Land of hopeless Tories"?

I suspect there are those among BBC staff who would love to have arranged for that to happen.

But unfortunately for the BBC they are currently facing economic pressure to appeal to the paying licence-payers - and in the case of over-75s he need to persuade them to start paying for what they have hitherto been entitled to exemption. At least the new Director-General looks like he realises what he is facing and had enough sense to reign in the silly ideas some BBC staff were having about rendering the Nation's favourite classical music event into something politically correct in their eyes. The new Director-General faces a huge struggle to get rid of the BBC's deadwood before the Corporation, havng lost its proteccted annual income, ends up bankrupt.

StuartO - 2020-09-13 4:26 PM

I suspect there are those among BBC staff who would love to have arranged for that to happen.

But unfortunately for the BBC they are currently facing economic pressure to appeal to the paying licence-payers - and in the case of over-75s he need to persuade them to start paying for what they have hitherto been entitled to exemption.

I can't remember when the licence payment was cancelled out for over 75's but it's not so long back and i remember thinking at the time it's pretty mean spirited - i know more people that never lived to that age than i do those that are over. IIRC it was part of the 'sweetener' deal to keep state pensions down.

But unfortunately for the BBC they are currently facing economic pressure to appeal to the paying licence-payers - and in the case of over-75s he need to persuade them to start paying for what they have hitherto been entitled to exemption. At least the new Director-General looks like he realises what he is facing and had enough sense to reign in the silly ideas some BBC staff were having about rendering the Nation's favourite classical music event into something politically correct in their eyes. The new Director-General faces a huge struggle to get rid of the BBC's deadwood before the Corporation, havng lost its proteccted annual income, ends up bankrupt.

The BBC are never going to persuade people to pay the licence voluntarily.

They will continue to be forced to pay it - BoJo has already made that clear, because he wants a media he can take over in wartime like Churchill did.

They will probably just be starved of funds, so instead of news gathering have to just regurgitate the sh*te put out at Downing Street press briefings.

I watched the programme last night and some of the music was wonderful, despite the orchestra being thin on the ground for social distancing reasons - and the black Soprano was really good, as was the solo violinist (white, in a white frock) who played the Lark piece.

But I don't think the BBC came out of it well with their efforts to row back on their earlier decision to abandon singing Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem because they gave us a soto voce rendering by a small and well spaced out group of singers who had inadequate microphone coverage so there was nothing like enough meat in their preformance. There was no soloist for Rule Britannia and the Black Soprano, who would have sung it well, wasn't included and didn't appear wearing a colourful Britania-like frock, which was a great pity. She's South African so perhaps it would have been against her principles. The final insult was for the underwhelming choir to deliver Benjamin Brittain's version of the National Anthem with a barely audible first verse and a feeble remainder.

I watched it too Stuart. A bit lack lustre. I thought there could be more voices singing. God knows there is enough room in the Albert Hall to ensure the appropriate social distance. As for Rule Britannia there is nothing in the lyrics that should offend anyone. I read somewhere that it was penned long before Britain got into the slave trade. Slavery or enforced labour has been experienced by many people of all races and colour.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2020-09-13 5:56 PM

I watched it too Stuart. A bit lack lustre. I thought there could be more voices singing. God knows there is enough room in the Albert Hall to ensure the appropriate social distance. As for Rule Britannia there is nothing in the lyrics that should offend anyone. I read somewhere that it was penned long before Britain got into the slave trade. Slavery or enforced labour has been experienced by many people of all races and colour.

"Slavery or enforced labour has been experienced by many people of all races and colour."

Blimey 8-) ........

I bet you wouldn't have said "That" before you retired on a full pension :D ......

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.603a0ce9fd32c66f98ee0b4d86ddfa52.jpg

Actually this was posted on Motorhome Fruitcakes the other day by one of our leading racists. :D

Could be true.

"RULE BRITANNIA

Here is something you are unlikely to learn via the BBC.

In the 17th century the seas around Britain were ruled by North African Muslim Slavers. They stopped British ships and carried off the crews to be sold as slaves in Algiers and Tripoli.

The situation became so bad that fishermen from Devon and Cornwall wouldn’t put out to sea in case they were captured by North African Slave Traders.

Between 1609 and 1616, 466 British ships were captured by Slave Traders in the English Channel, Irish Sea and North Atlantic, and the crews were sold into slavery.

In 1625 a raiding party landed at Mount’s Bay in Cornwall and 60 people who had taken refuge in a local church were dragged out, loaded up and taken off to Africa to be sold as slaves.

On 12 August 1625 the Mayor of Plymouth wrote to London for military help after 27 ships had been seized by North African Muslim Slave Traders in just 10 days. In 1645, 240 people were seized as slaves in Cornwall.

The situation only began to change after the end of the English Civil War when the Royal Navy was built up under Oliver Cromwell. By 1700, North African Slavers generally knew better than to bother the British Isles in the search for slaves because of the Royal Navy.

It was a triumph that Britain was finally able to control its own coastal waters. And it was in commemoration of this that in 1740, James Thompson wrote ‘Rule Britannia’. It is a hymn of thanksgiving rather than a proclamation of aggressive Nationalism.

If you read this far and are interested to learn more, read "White Gold" by Giles Milton."

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-09-13 6:48 PM

Actually this was posted on Motorhome Fruitcakes the other day by one of our leading racists. :D

Could be true.

"RULE BRITANNIA

In the 17th century the seas around Britain were ruled by North African Muslim Slavers. They stopped British ships and carried off the crews to be sold as slaves in Algiers and Tripoli.

The situation became so bad that fishermen from Devon and Cornwall wouldn’t put out to sea in case they were captured by North African Slave Traders.

Between 1609 and 1616, 466 British ships were captured by Slave Traders in the English Channel, Irish Sea and North Atlantic, and the crews were sold into slavery.

In 1625 a raiding party landed at Mount’s Bay in Cornwall and 60 people who had taken refuge in a local church were dragged out, loaded up and taken off to Africa to be sold as slaves.

On 12 August 1625 the Mayor of Plymouth wrote to London for military help after 27 ships had been seized by North African Muslim Slave Traders in just 10 days. In 1645, 240 people were seized as slaves in Cornwall.

The situation only began to change after the end of the English Civil War when the Royal Navy was built up under Oliver Cromwell. By 1700, North African Slavers generally knew better than to bother the British Isles in the search for slaves because of the Royal Navy.

It was a triumph that Britain was finally able to control its own coastal waters. And it was in commemoration of this that in 1740, James Thompson wrote ‘Rule Britannia’. It is a hymn of thanksgiving rather than a proclamation of aggressive Nationalism.

If you read this far and are interested to learn more, read "White Gold" by Giles Milton."

Why did you say could be true Barry? :-| .......

Did your Lefty Headmaster Dad delete that part of history? >:-) .........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.f73e88720049647649d521fdb9ebcf52.jpg

John52 - 2020-09-13 5:19 PM

They will continue to be forced to pay it.

John.....you can choose not to have a licence but will need to prove you have no means of receiving 'live' tv. You would still get visits from TVL though as they think everyone has a tv set! Some friends of mine haven't owned a tv for years and still get the occasional knock on the door by TVL.

https://tinyurl.com/y5raewfy

Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2020-09-13 6:59 PM

Could be true.

"RULE BRITANNIA

Why did you say could be true Barry? :-| .......

Did your Lefty Headmaster Dad delete that part of history? >:-) .........

Cant wait to learn what he taught you about that bit of "OUR" history :D .......

P1010899.JPG.7b9ec27e0776cff33bdea88bcc243d2c.JPG

Could be true.

"RULE BRITANNIA

Thanks Barry seems like a good read.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 7:00 PM

John52 - 2020-09-13 5:19 PM

They will continue to be forced to pay it.

John.....you can choose not to have a licence but will need to prove you have no means of receiving 'live' tv. You would still get visits from TVL though as they think everyone has a tv set! Some friends of mine haven't owned a tv for years and still get the occasional knock on the door by TVL.

https://tinyurl.com/y5raewfy

Oooooh the irony >:-) .......

Marxists squabbling over funding their mouthpiece :D .........

I guess that's what happens when you LOSE yet again ;-) .......

You blame your tools........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.c1889956a43a9fca2c357759f9030eef.jpg

There is quite a bit about it on the TV licence resistance forum, where I read that BoJo wants to maintain the TV licence so he can take over the BBC in the event of war.

General advice is to totally ignore Capita, instead of contacting them and telling them you have no TV as advised elsewhere. its even suggested its Capita posting anonymously telling people to do that so they can get information about them on their radar.

There was also an unconfirmed report that BBC share info with BT so could find out what you have been watching through your BT box.

Problem is we still have to pay the BBC even if we only ever watch their competitors.

There is a lot of ill feeling towards the BBC in Scotland since they stopped broadcasting Nicola Sturgeons Covid updates - she is widely trusted and her popularity has shot up to 75%. The polar opposite of BoJo.

But Bojo keeps sending Scotland your money to buy votes and maintain his empire at your expense.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-09-13 7:15 PM

There is quite a bit about it on the TV licence resistance forum, where I read that BoJo wants to maintain the TV licence so he can take over the BBC in the event of war.

So you are saying Boris is getting ready for when the EU invades? 8-) .........

Blimey you are even more barking mad than I thought..........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.347ee98b345eb26fba6d8c5acc0f23b0.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 7:31 PM

Nope - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/08/britains-secret-wars-oman

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-09-13 7:42 PM

Nope - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/08/britains-secret-wars-oman

Oh dear *-) .......

Another Daily Bumwipe link......

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.b26594069386da404e78519799230435.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 7:46 PM

Oh dear *-) .......

you will need BoJo to change it to 3 word slogans and cartoons for you

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-09-13 8:00 PM

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 7:46 PM

Oh dear *-) .......

you will need BoJo to change it to 3 word slogans and cartoons for you

I prefer cartoons to Lefty Bullsh*t >:-) .........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.1f847f9881e9f289e298ab6bafd0e42f.jpg

Archived