BUT but but.....the LOSERS said.........

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2021-12-14 7:45 AM

We would have 800k+ job losses by now 8-) ..........

"UK job vacancies reach 20-year high"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58881124

Did the LOSERS Lie or are they just Thick?............Hmmm now there's a question (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Getting a bit desperate rehashing news from two months ago?

Nothing happened in the last week you would want to comment on?

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-14 8:43 AM

Did the LOSERS Lie or are they just Thick?............Hmmm now there's a question (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

You mean like Snakey Starmer rehashing old scandals from 2 years ago? *-) ..........

Obviously there's nothing else for you LOSERS to do except bitch :-| ..........

Have you asked Santa for a life? ;-) ..........

(lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Pelmet makes this sound like a good thing but businesses are suffering as a result. Odd that its mainly hospitality, Haulage, social care and health workers, food production and agriculture that seem the worst hit. Weren't these the jobs the EU workers did before Brexit? Certainly the business owners in those sectors are predominately citing Brexit as the reason they can no longer fill jobs. Brexiteers wanted these jobs to be filled by British workers ignoring the fact that there simply aren't enough British workers to fill them.

Barryd999 - 2021-12-14 1:38 PM

Pelmet makes this sound like a good thing but businesses are suffering as a result. Odd that its mainly hospitality, Haulage, social care and health workers, food production and agriculture that seem the worst hit. Weren't these the jobs the EU workers did before Brexit? Certainly the business owners in those sectors are predominately citing Brexit as the reason they can no longer fill jobs. Brexiteers wanted these jobs to be filled by British workers ignoring the fact that there simply aren't enough British workers to fill them.

Indeed. Lets remember that for some of those vacancies you might have to be qualified - like the 162,000 in the NHS.

There is also a disconnect as between where the jobs are and where the unemployed are - the firm in London mentioned in Pelmets link "Brakes" are offering £18,500 a year for a London job, who could afford to live in London on that salary? A take home pay of £312 per week, 50% of which will go on rent.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-14 2:06 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-12-14 1:38 PM

Indeed. Lets remember that for some of those vacancies you might have to be qualified - like the 162,000 in the NHS.

There is also a disconnect as between where the jobs are and where the unemployed are - the firm in London mentioned in Pelmets link "Brakes" are offering £18,500 a year for a London job, who could afford to live in London on that salary? A take home pay of £312 per week, 50% of which will go on rent.

According to this site average rents are £1500 a month. https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2021/03/average-rent-in-london-guide-for-buy-to-let-landlords/ I just checked and a 1 bedroom flat in Hackney which is a bit of a dump is £1400 a month. I remember when I worked there in the late 90s to early 2000s many in our office were paying nearly a grand a month then for a flaming bedsit or small flat and over twenty years ago most were on between £30k - £40k and struggled to survive. My starting wage in Darlington after leaving college in the late 80s wasnt much less than £18,500 and I think my rent was £200 a month 8-) You would have to live in a shed under the M25 to survive on that now in London.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-14 2:21 PM

And here is something else ..the LOSERS said.........

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-farming-immigration-neil-parish-b1975696.html

Yes I saw him on the news. Farming is going to be in big trouble. Well it already is. Once the cheap imports start arriving from places like Australia many will go bust. The Tories just dont seem to care. Their VISA waiver scheme was a complete joke.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-14 8:43 AM

It's one of his old chestnuts he wheels out every now 'n then to bury threads. *-)

Typically he never reads beyond the header of anything he links so doesn't realise he's shooting himself in the foot......again. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2021-12-14 4:49 PM

So the labour market is even worse than Remain predicted, there are now over a million jobs which can't be filled, so that's over a million less people in the economy spending money and taxes.

I presume you mean worse for those who relied on cheap EU labour? ;-) ........

Plus those who worked here and claimed benenifts at UK rates for their sprogs back in cheapo EU La La Land *-) .........

Perhapes you can explain how UK PLC benefited from EU cheap labour? :-| .........

Coz the only folk in the UK I can see who beneifited are our own naturally bone idle *-) .......

Not forgetting the Gobby Employers of cheap EU labour >:-) .........

Kinda ironic how this forum seems to be against the "UK" working classes getting a decent wage whilst trying to claim the moral high ground (!) ........

Worra bunch of hypocrites (lol) (lol) (lol) ,,,,,,,,,,

I guess you lefties love it, we are seeing strikes and unions calling the odds. Meanwhile those of us who invest in UK firms are seeing them struggle to fill vacancies, around 500,000 people have left the labour market in the last two years, the million job vacancies are missed opportunities for the UK economy. We are looking at the 70's all over again.

pelmetman - 2021-12-14 10:06 PM

So the labour market is even worse than Remain predicted, there are now over a million jobs which can't be filled, so that's over a million less people in the economy spending money and taxes.

Plus those who worked here and claimed benenifts at UK rates for their sprogs back in cheapo EU La La Land *-) .........

Perhapes you can explain how UK PLC benefited from EU cheap labour? :-| .........

Coz the only folk in the UK I can see who beneifited are our own naturally bone idle *-) .......

Kinda ironic how this forum seems to be against the "UK" working classes getting a decent wage whilst trying to claim the moral high ground (!) ........

So this high wage economy, why does it not extend to the nurses? The most recent NHS figures reveal there are about 39,000 vacancies for registered nurses in England, with one in 10 nursing posts unfilled on acute wards in London and one in five nursing posts empty on mental health wards in the south-east.

Yet the pay increase just put forward by the Tories is 3% for the year, 1.2 % below the rate of inflation that the ONS has just announced. "The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) rose by 4.2% in the 12 months to October 2021, up from 3.1% in the 12 months to September. This is the highest 12-month inflation rate since November 2011, when the CPI annual inflation rate was 4.8%" . The Bank of England is suggesting that inflation will hit 5% by April 2022.

So why is your glorious leader not addressing the nurses shortage by increasing their pay by at least 5%? So at least they are not poorer this year than last?

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-14 11:19 PM

So why is your glorious leader not addressing the nurses shortage by increasing their pay by at least 5%? So at least they are not poorer this year than last?

Especially when the economy is doing so well after Brexit we can afford it *-)

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-14 11:19 PM

So this high wage economy, why does it not extend to the nurses? The most recent NHS figures reveal there are about 39,000 vacancies for registered nurses in England, with one in 10 nursing posts unfilled on acute wards in London and one in five nursing posts empty on mental health wards in the south-east.

Yet the pay increase just put forward by the Tories is 3% for the year, 1.2 % below the rate of inflation that the ONS has just announced. "The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) rose by 4.2% in the 12 months to October 2021, up from 3.1% in the 12 months to September. This is the highest 12-month inflation rate since November 2011, when the CPI annual inflation rate was 4.8%" . The Bank of England is suggesting that inflation will hit 5% by April 2022.

Sorry inflation is now 5.1% and will probably be over 6% by April, so to stand still a 6% increase will now be necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

The government seem to have a plan to solve the chronic labour shortage.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/ministers-plan-to-help-thousands-of-indians-live-and-work-in-uk/ar-AASkIvw?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

colin - 2022-01-01 5:11 PM

The government seem to have a plan to solve the chronic labour shortage.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/ministers-plan-to-help-thousands-of-indians-live-and-work-in-uk/ar-AASkIvw?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Oh dear. Thats New Year ruined for millions of terminally angry red faced middle aged men across Ingerlaaand then! (lol)

213960148_angrybrexiteersreacttonewsaboutIndianscomingtouk(Phone).jpg.a4f57bc38f0bc83427ce944195f4f9f7.jpg

Seems like a ideal solution to me, we import thousands of Indians to do the jobs the Europeans used to do, they allow us to export a tiny amount of goods that they want and can afford after the cost of transporting them thousands of miles and in return we give up the right to live, work and retire within the EU.

Is that too long to fit on a bus?

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2022-01-02 11:26 AM

Seems like a ideal solution to me, we import thousands of Indians to do the jobs the Europeans used to do, they allow us to export a tiny amount of goods that they want and can afford after the cost of transporting them thousands of miles and in return we give up the right to live, work and retire within the EU.

Is that too long to fit on a bus?

What's stopping you from retiring in the EU? :-S .......

You have a Danish wife dont you? ;-) .......

You Hate the UK dont you? >:-) .......

So why DONT YOU move to somewhere where you'll be happy? 8-) ......

Oh yeah you're a Corbynite......Your only happy when your misrable :D .......

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.8cb6b64a32be317a06e9444f1e5b9cf7.jpg

I always find it odd that Rabid Brexiteers and Johnson supporters when they lash out at people who appose Brexit or think Johnson is a complete moron throw in the "You hate your country" insult. Surely its them that hate our country seeing as they have been so hell bent on destroying it and surely those that actively appose Brexit and Johnson and seeing our country destroyed and our reputation around the world in tatters are the true patriots.

pelmetman - 2022-01-02 12:02 PM

What's stopping you from retiring in the EU? :-S .......

You have a Danish wife dont you? ;-) .......

You Hate the UK dont you? >:-) .......

So why DONT YOU move to somewhere where you'll be happy? 8-) ......

Oh yeah you're a Corbynite......Your only happy when your misrable :D .......

My wifes mother was Danish, her father is English (career Army officer). In consequence she grew up all over, born in Essex, childhood in Berlin (Spandau!), Paris and darkest Wales. Birth never registered in Denmark so could only claim nationality through residency - and we would need to live there to achieve that.

And no i don't hate the UK, I used to be quite proud of being from here, before a small minded group of racist bigots voted to stop us enjoying what was on our immediate doorstep because they thought the rules on freedom of movement only went way.

Still at least I've got all my windows in, unlike some on here.

The following three lists, adapted from Wikipedia, should illustrate Dave’s problem.

The first, which he will like, shows where the UK sits when compared to other countries by estimated 2021 nominal Gross Domestic Product (GDP) - defined as the market value of all final goods and services from a nation in a given year.

Nominal GDP does not take into account differences in the cost of living in different countries, meaning that the results can vary greatly from one year to another due to fluctuations in the exchange rates of the country's currency.

This ranking is by IMF GDP (nominal) in US $millions.

1 United States $22,675,271

2 China $16,642,318

3 Japan $5,378,136

4 Germany $4,319,286

5 United Kingdom $3,124,650

Next, which he won’t be so keen on, is a list of countries by their estimated GDP (PPP). Countries are sorted by GDP (PPP) estimates corrected for the effects of official exchange rates.

Purchasing power parity (PPP) is the measurement of prices in different countries that uses the prices of specific goods to compare the absolute purchasing power of the countries' currencies.

This ranking is by IMF GDP (PPP) data in international $millions. (The international dollar is a standardized unit used by economists.)

1 China $26,656,766

2 United States $22,675,271

3 India $10,181,166

4 Japan $5,585,786

5 Germany $4,743,673

6 Russia $4,328,122

7 Indonesia $3,507,239

8 Brazil $3,328,459

9 France $3,231,927

10 United Kingdom $3,174,921

Finally, which he’ll hate, a list of countries by per capita GDP (at Purchasing Power Parity), i.e., the purchasing power parity (PPP) value of all final goods and services produced within a country in a given year, divided by the average (or mid-year) population for the same year.

This better illustrates what a country feels like to live in.

This ranking is by IMF per capita GDP (PPP) data in international $.

1 Luxembourg $122,740

2 Singapore $102,742

3 Ireland $99,239

4 Qatar $97,262

5 Macau $90,606

6 Switzerland $75,880

7 Norway $69,171

8 United States $68,309

9 Brunei $64,405

10 Hong Kong $62,839

11 San Marino $61,508

12 Denmark $61,478

13 Netherlands $60,461

14 United Arab Emirates $59,844

15 Taiwan $59,398

16 Iceland $58,151

17 Austria £57,891

18 Germany $56,956

19 Sweden $55,566

20 Australia $54,891

21 Belgium $53,973

22 Finland $51,867

23 Canada $51,713

24 Bahrain $50,284

25 France $49,492

26 Saudi Arabia $48,099

27 United Kingdom $47,089

All lists are based on IMF data.

I think the differences between the three lists says a lot about who, actually, benefits from the fruits of the labour that generates 5th place for the UK in list 1, but only 27th place in list 3. The elephant in the room is UK productivity, which is notoriously poor - partially explaining our reliance on cheap labour. Instead of investing to increase productivity, we import cheap labour, or export our productive jobs abroad leaving the now redundant labour to compete for the remaining jobs. It is the same problem that we had before we joined the EEC, and we are now reverting to type by encouraging migration from poorer countries to try to live in our high cost country on low pay.

Our real problem, IMO, is our over-reliance on the stock market for company finance, which creates management boards whose prime objective is generating profits for shareholders in preference to ploughing back profit into productivity improving investments. Why? Because that is what shareholders reward management board members for doing. Ultimately, when the company has had all its juice sucked from it, the board members slip away to other boards to do the same again, leaving the shuck of the company to stagger on as best it can. Leaving the EU won't solve that, it is in our corporate DNA. Perhaps a vaccine might? :-D

Archived