Building a house.......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just thinking aloud ;-) ............As we've just accepted an offer on our house despite putting the price up B-) .......

Not a lot around that fits our criteria for a house, but have seen a few building plots.....

Any idea on costs for a 2 bed house with large/extra height integral garage, large living room/kitchen, separate study & utility/wet room? ...........

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2015-06-01 8:02 AM

Just thinking aloud ;-) ............As we've just accepted an offer on our house despite putting the price up B-) .......

Not a lot around that fits our criteria for a house, but have seen a few building plots.....

Any idea on costs for a 2 bed house with large/extra height integral garage, large living room/kitchen, separate study & utility/wet room? ...........

Having seen photos of your outfit on a pitch in Spain, I assume you will build it yourself ?.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2015-06-01 8:23 AM

pelmetman - 2015-06-01 8:02 AM

Having seen photos of your outfit on a pitch in Spain, I assume you will build it yourself ?.

;-)

Not likely Malc 8-) ...........I might break a nail or something ;-) .................If we sell we'll have a budget of 220k all in, expecting land to cost around 80K as we don't want a big plot again. Don't need a big house either, just a camper garage with comfortable accommodation attached B-) .........

Expect about 100 sqm which according to sites like this....

http://www.jewson.co.uk/working-with-you/for-self-builders/preliminary-planning/calculators/build-cost-calculator/

Would bring me in under budget, have had built a 30' camper garage with attached guest wing for 40k in the past........but that was 15 years ago :-S....

So wondering how accurate these guesstimate sites are when working out how long my piece of string is :D ......

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2015-06-01 9:48 AM

Congratulations on the sale Dave, you've probably looked but Googling self build costs may well help. Doubtless there's dozens of self build websites too.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn ;-) ..............We're not getting too excited as we've been up to exchange of contracts before *-) ........But if it does go to plan we'll have the funds to build a place and be mortgage free B-) .......

BTW our buyers are from Barnsley, they obviously have good taste over there :D .......

pelmetman - 2015-06-01 9:57 AM

BTW our buyers are from Barnsley, they obviously have good taste over there :D .......

Good luck Dave, shame as your home was a great place as I recall, but when you gotta go you gotta go!

Dunno about Barnsley and good taste - not three words one would normally expect to see used together!

More like The Great Escape - gently whistles the theme tune!

Just build a big nissen hut over Horace. One here for sale including bin's and a pig sty, needs touching up a bit and your big buddy antony maybe able to help with the roof, in fact that's all you need, a roofer and a truck to take it away.

Local estate agent Rip off Dave.

'Disrepair': The hut - which is in 'a state of disrepair' sits in an acre of land and is surrounded by dilapidated outbuildings including a pig sty

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257101/Three-bedroom-WWII-Nissen-hut-home-wartime-land-girls-56-years-emerges-sale.html#ixzz3bp8cjXFd

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

nowtelse2do - 2015-06-01 4:25 PM

Just build a big nissen hut over Horace. One here for sale including bin's and a pig sty, needs touching up a bit and your big buddy antony maybe able to help with the roof, in fact that's all you need, a roofer and a truck to take it away.

Local estate agent Rip off Dave.

'Disrepair': The hut - which is in 'a state of disrepair' sits in an acre of land and is surrounded by dilapidated outbuildings including a pig sty

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257101/Three-bedroom-WWII-Nissen-hut-home-wartime-land-girls-56-years-emerges-sale.html#ixzz3bp8cjXFd

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Did I hear my name ? I'm available for quality work throughout Britain excluding Scotland on Sea and Rossendaleshire

All work guaranteed for a while and my company moto ' If it leaked before it'll p@ss in when I'm finished ' describes excellently only top end work

OAP reductions for ya Dave Pelmet xx

nowtelse2do - 2015-06-01 7:00 PM

Tracker - 2015-06-01 6:52 PM

Hows about summat like this Dave?

http://www.huf-haus.com/en/home.html

Other makes are available!

No chance.......It's new. ;-)

Dave

Of course - sorry Dave - please forgive my naivety - senior moment - again!

Maybe there are some 40 year old ones for sale on flea bay?

Reminds me of a guy I knew in Cornwall many years ago who created a four bedroom mobile home by bolting together two 24' tired old ex holiday caravans.

He simply didn't worry about aesthetics and sited the two front doors one against the other then cut a new front door in the far side of the now redundant kitchen in one of 'em.

It looked hideous close up but it worked really well and looked great from a distance - about five miles was ideal!

I commend the idea to the house!

We built our own house and by built I mean we did most of the work ourselves. Took two years and we only used what materials we could afford to pay for each month. Finished up with a four bedroom house with big rooms and a big double garage. Total cost including carpets fitted kitchen and fitted master bedroom 25 x 16 foot £6,500 and we finished up dept free. Mind you it was some time ago. Would we do, it again no. We were young then but looking back on it I can't a believe we did it. I was working full time. We worked on the house till midnight most nights, weekends and had no holidays. As an additional complication we had three young children to look after.

We simply decided one night that was what we were going to do, bought a book on the subject from Smiths , drew up the plans and cracked on. I must say the building inspector was great. He not only carried out the inspections but provided guidance and advice as we went.

Instead of buying a plot we bought a small rundown house to live in, then built half the new house before knocking down the original house and building the rest of the new house.

Was it worth the effort? Yes.

I might add that I did all wiring, plumbing and central,heating myself. You'd not be allowed to do that's now

teflon2 - 2015-06-01 6:22 PM

Oh dear 2 kisses is Anthony opening the closet door. (lol) (lol)

I think in our all inclusive society it is only bang on to try all that is on offer as not to offend anyone

My closet door was open but now it's most definitely shut tight closed and double locked xx

Why spend big ££s on a plot of land here when in France you can buy some sweet renovation projects for as little as up to £50k

Many with land and outbuildings ... If we had no ties here in the pits we'd do that

I know how much you love been part of euro land Dave

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-06-01 7:04 PM

nowtelse2do - 2015-06-01 7:00 PM

Tracker - 2015-06-01 6:52 PM

Hows about summat like this Dave?

http://www.huf-haus.com/en/home.html

Other makes are available!

No chance.......It's new. ;-)

Dave

Of course - sorry Dave - please forgive my naivety - senior moment - again!

Maybe there are some 40 year old ones for sale on flea bay?

Reminds me of a guy I knew in Cornwall many years ago who created a four bedroom mobile home by bolting together two 24' tired old ex holiday caravans.

He simply didn't worry about aesthetics and sited the two front doors one against the other then cut a new front door in the far side of the now redundant kitchen in one of 'em.

It looked hideous close up but it worked really well and looked great from a distance - about five miles was ideal!

I commend the idea to the house!

Funnily enough our first detached residence (on land) was a mobile home which had a touring caravan bolted across the front :D...............I renovated the mobile home and when sold, gave us the deposit for our first 2 up 2 down terrace house B-) ................

That needed a bit of work too.....my mother cried when she saw it 8-) .........I didn't think it was that bad :-S .....

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2015-06-01 7:57 PM

Why spend big ££s on a plot of land here when in France you can buy some sweet renovation projects for as little as up to £50k

Many with land and outbuildings ... If we had no ties here in the pits we'd do that

I know how much you love been part of euro land Dave

Never say never Antony ;-) .........Part of the reason for selling up is because of the size of the house and garden, especially now we like to travel for months at a time. Its nice to have a big garden and house, but they both require upkeep.

Had a chat yesterday with the architect who built our house for himself, reckons budget should be fine for what I've described as a Lincolnshire barn meets country cottage style property :D ..........

Or in other words, a 30' x 20' camper garage with a 20' x 20' lounge B-) ......

Just need a name ? :D..........."Horace House"......"Fanny's Rest"............"Dunstuffin"..........

pelmetman - 2015-06-02 7:23 AM

That's a big garage / lounge Dave but at least you will be able to keep an eye on Horace whilst you watch TV!

How about- Vanarama, Goneroamin, Trannyvista, Transcillvania, Poufferest, Pelmets Paradise.

We had a bungalow with a huge lounge once before and it was hard to keep it warm in winter and never really felt snug enough to be homely and we found about 15' x 15' with windows with low sills (or patio doors?) on two sides so you can see out when seated to be a good size for a lounge only?

We also find that a kitchen diner works much better for us than a lounge diner, preferably with a conservatory on it!

That said, it is a very personal choice and what suits us would not suit others?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-06-02 9:50 AM

pelmetman - 2015-06-02 7:23 AM

That's a big garage / lounge Dave but at least you will be able to keep an eye on Horace whilst you watch TV!

How about- Vanarama, Goneroamin, Trannyvista, Transcillvania, Poufferest, Pelmets Paradise.

We had a bungalow with a huge lounge once before and it was hard to keep it warm in winter and never really felt snug enough to be homely and we found about 15' x 15' with windows with low sills (or patio doors?) on two sides so you can see out when seated to be a good size for a lounge only?

We also find that a kitchen diner works much better for us than a lounge diner, preferably with a conservatory on it!

That said, it is a very personal choice and what suits us would not suit others?

I should've said the kitchen would be in the lounge to, perhaps it would be better to call it a living room ;-) ......

Currently we just live in the sun lounge which is off the kitchen, so open plan living seems to be the way to go....... B-) ....

The garage will also serve as my workshop, as I may as well keep the business going to earn me a bit of pin money in my dotage :D......

• 6 years later...
Guest pelmetman

It's funny how life turns out ;-) ...........

Never got to build a house :-| ........

Just had to settle for a smaller erection :D .......

1308955664_Smallerection.JPG.b88cfe38027298c2a59311f843ebf5b7.JPG

Now Dave for a left field option. In this part of the world, particularly coastal Queensland there are "over 55's" development that offer houses specifically built for the RV enthusiasts. The house can be 2 or 3 bedrooms and they have a very high wide and long garage to suit a caravan/ motorhome. The homes are freestanding in a gated community. Usually they offer an RV covered wash bay with gantry to clean the roof. Some offer a swimming pool and lawn bowling gree. Is there any thing like that in UK.? The website below is an example. Cheers,

https://www.rvhomebasefrasercoast.com.au/

Geeco - 2021-08-12 5:55 AM

Now Dave for a left field option. In this part of the world, particularly coastal Queensland there are "over 55's" development that offer houses specifically built for the RV enthusiasts. The house can be 2 or 3 bedrooms and they have a very high wide and long garage to suit a caravan/ motorhome. The homes are freestanding in a gated community. Usually they offer an RV covered wash bay with gantry to clean the roof. Some offer a swimming pool and lawn bowling green. Is there any thing like that in UK.? The website below is an example. Cheers,

Gary, how dare you try to tempt "our" Dave to emigrate to Australia! Outrageous!! I'll tell the Queen about this!

OTOH, in a gated community, you say....................................................................!!! Hmmm - I'll have to weigh up the pros and cons before notifying Her Majesty. For a start, do they inmates get gate keys? :-D

Guest pelmetman

Now Dave for a left field option. In this part of the world, particularly coastal Queensland there are "over 55's" development that offer houses specifically built for the RV enthusiasts. The house can be 2 or 3 bedrooms and they have a very high wide and long garage to suit a caravan/ motorhome. The homes are freestanding in a gated community. Usually they offer an RV covered wash bay with gantry to clean the roof. Some offer a swimming pool and lawn bowling gree. Is there any thing like that in UK.? The website below is an example. Cheers,

Actually the front part of our extension is a new Horace House ;-) ..........

456285386_Horacehouse.JPG.f93aaebcabff1c73027ae35a8947521c.JPG

Is there any thing like that in UK.? The website below is an example. Cheers,

Nothing like that in UK Gary. We have apartments for over 55's but the most you will get is a parking space for small/medium size saloon car. It's a good idea but would be a very limited market here.

A chap in my village has a garage which houses his motorhome and caravan but his property is on a corner plot with plenty of land.

teflon2 - 2015-06-01 6:22 PM

Oh dear 2 kisses is Anthony opening the closet door. (lol) (lol)

Someone is taking my name in vain I did not post this.

But best of luck Dave, take a look at prefabricated houses they are simple to adapt and you can complete one in 7 days. Well we did and it didn't fall down either.

Archived