Bullets chums in the frame........

Guest pelmetman

No statement that comes from the Chinese government can be relied upon. One of the good things that comes out of the corona virus pandemic is to alert the peoples of the west to how nefarious and disingenuous the Chinese government is and how little they care about the rest of the world. The sooner we ban Chinese investment in our country’s businesses and infrastructure the better in my view. We haven’t come all this way in our fight for democracy and fundamental human rights and freedoms only to allow one of the worst states in the world on both of those fronts to prosper economically at our expense

Violet1956 - 2020-05-02 11:50 PM

No statement that comes from the Chinese government can be relied upon. One of the good things that comes out of the corona virus pandemic is to alert the peoples of the west to how nefarious and disingenuous the Chinese government is and how little they care about the rest of the world. The sooner we ban Chinese investment in our country’s businesses and infrastructure the better in my view. We haven’t come all this way in our fight for democracy and fundamental human rights and freedoms only to allow one of the worst states in the world on both of those fronts to prosper economically at our expense

Can statements from the Downing Street Press Briefings can be relied upon *-)

Last I heard they said BoJo was cheerful and doing his Red Boxes. when in fact his Deputy hadn't heard from him for 2 days and his Doctors were preparing his death statement.

I don't like the Chinese Government any mor than you do. But now we have let our industries go we have to do business with somebody. We roll the red carpet out atr Buckingham Palace for Saudi Dictators who are worse. I'm even beginning to wonder if Trump is any better.

We should be closer to our EU neighbours - but we all know what is happening there :-(

Birdbrain - 2020-05-03 7:04 AM

Ye but its still all Brexits fault and Boris , the Tories , Arron Banks , white straight males , POTUS Trump and that nasty Sir Nigel Farage

Spot on! Well said. Not sure about the relevance of "White straight males" (must be a personal thing for you I guess) but everything else you say is completely true.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-03 9:33 AM

I don't like the Chinese Government any mor than you do.

(lol) (lol) (lol) ...........Did you type that with a straight finger? 8-) .......

Barryd999 - 2020-05-03 10:19 AM

Ye but its still all Brexits fault and Boris , the Tories , Arron Banks , white straight males , POTUS Trump and that nasty Sir Nigel Farage

Spot on! Well said. Not sure about the relevance of "White straight males" (must be a personal thing for you I guess) but everything else you say is completely true.

Forgot to say that nasty Tim Martin n'all and that big red number 52 bus ... Ding-a-ling ... Tickets please

UK received more investment from China than any other country in the west during 2018....and that's after a drop of 76%. Seems money trumps (convenient pun!) human rights for capitalists. :-|

https://www.cityam.com/uk-received-more-chinese-investment-than-any-other-country/

Bulletguy - 2020-05-03 3:32 PM

UK received more investment from China than any other country in the west during 2018....and that's after a drop of 76%. Seems money trumps (convenient pun!) human rights for capitalists. :-|

https://www.cityam.com/uk-received-more-chinese-investment-than-any-other-country/

Thanks for the link Paul, I've read it but I do wonder whether the term "investment" is a euphemism for buying up our assets on the cheap. However as you have probably guessed already I am not an economist.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2020-05-03 3:57 PM

Thanks for the link Paul, I've read it but I do wonder whether the term "investment" is a euphemism for buying up our assets on the cheap. However as you have probably guessed already I am not an economist.

Veronica

Depends what you call 'cheap'. Property is their largest investment, i expect mostly in London where along with Russians and Saudis they own huge chunks. British cannot afford many of the properties because they don't earn the figures commanded.....but then you get exactly the same with the average Brit London property owner shipping out and snapping up "cheap" (to them) property in the country which few local born can ever hope to buy because they are low income earners. Some very nice property in the Peak District near me but no farmhands or bar staff will ever get a £500k mortgage which a London property owner would easily buy cash outright plus have plenty left over in the bank!

Energy and finance are the second two......then food, transport and utilities. Look at the UK companies they have investments in. So much for Brexit "taking back control" eh! ;-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34542147

Just one snag with that Veronica - we've already done it!

Barryd999 - 2020-05-03 10:19 AM

Now I'm really puzzled. I thought Tweetie liked all those things, especially Nigel, but now he's blaming them all for Covid! Funny old world, ain't it! :-D

Guest pelmetman

Breaking news.....Communist complains about capitalists receiving communist investment 8-) ........ (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

We might wanna look at the "human rights" of women and gays here in Blighty first in some of our much loved communities before we start pointing fingers at others

Archived