Disability Fraud

John52

The BBC have published a story about Nev Cartwright, a DLA to PIP claimant who secretly recorded his PIP assessment on his mobile phone the day after seeing a documentary about how bad PIP medicals can be.

As a result of his assessment, Nev lost his Motability car He appealed against the decision.

When he read the PIP assessors report he realised that there was vital information missing and crucial details, such as his peak flow reading, had been altered. The effect was to make Nev seem much more mobile than he actually was.

So Nev got his secret recording professionally transcribed and submitted it as part of his appeal. The DWP’s squeals of protest were ignored by the judge, the evidence from the secret recording was taken into account and Nev got his Motability car back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41581060

Reminds me of a friend of mine on DLA who was sent a letter from the DWP saying they had "reviewed his case and would be stopping his payment as in their opinion he was fit for work".

He laughed his socks off!! (lol)

Not only had he been retired for the past eight years, he was recovering from a serious stroke and about to go back into hospital to have a pacemaker fitted!! *-)

He went to his GP who took one look at the letter and told him, "God not another one......we get these things all the time!" His GP sorted it. All this is since Government cut DWP staff and handed the records over to a private company (which gets a fat wedge of taxpayers money) and they just do a blanket 'cover all' by slinging the net out in the hope of catching a few tiddlers.

Bulletguy - 2017-10-18 9:10 PM

he was recovering from a serious stroke .

That might be the problem - according to the I Daniel Blake film heart problems don't count.

The assesment process has been contracted out to a computer company who speeded up the assesments (and consequently their profits) by redcing it to as tick box system allocating so many points for each disability. Anyone who doesn't tick the right boxes (because they have something like heart disease which they don't sem to have included) is judged 'fit for work', thrown off benefits, and counted by the Daily Mail as 'Shirkers' *-)

The system is truly flawed.  My neighbour has had a stroke which has affected his visual range in terms of reduced peripheral vision, has slightly affected his previously excellent use of language (he sometimes can not find the simplest of words) and drastically reduced his physical and mental fitness.  As a result of the stroke investigation the medical profession found he had a hole in his heart.  This was eventually repaired.  Despite these issues the 'assessor' deemed him fit for work and at 64 he has had the benefits, previously awarded by the 'system', removed.  And this is a man that has worked every day of his adult life......a very conscientious man.

Deeming the appeal system to be too stressful he has accepted his loss and is struggling on day by day until his state pension rescues him from the 'poor house'.  The system stinks.

John52 - 2017-10-18 9:23 PM

That might be the problem - according to the I Daniel Blake film heart problems don't count.

The assesment process has been contracted out to a computer company who speeded up the assesments (and consequently their profits) by redcing it to as tick box system allocating so many points for each disability. Anyone who doesn't tick the right boxes (because they have something like heart disease which they don't sem to have included) is judged 'fit for work', thrown off benefits, and counted by the Daily Mail as 'Shirkers' *-)

I think my mates problem stemmed from retiring 'too early'. He finished work at 50 and had the stroke five or six years later so was still relatively 'young' in the eyes of the DWP who seem unable to comprehend some people do actually take early retirement!

They don't have to worry about paying him any longer though......he died a few months ago. Funny old world isn't it? We are constantly being told this 'n that is bad for us, eat healthy, exercise regular.......only to then be told people are 'living longer' and we can't afford to look after them or have them living decently! :-S

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-10-18 10:40 PM

I think my mates problem stemmed from retiring 'too early'. He finished work at 50 and had the stroke five or six years later so was still relatively 'young' in the eyes of the DWP who seem unable to comprehend some people do actually take early retirement!

They don't have to worry about paying him any longer though......he died a few months ago. Funny old world isn't it? We are constantly being told this 'n that is bad for us, eat healthy, exercise regular.......only to then be told people are 'living longer' and we can't afford to look after them or have them living decently! :-S

If he was retired why did the DWP have anything to do with him? :-S .........

I thought they were only involved if you claimed benefit? :-| ........

pelmetman - 2017-10-19 9:57 AM

Bulletguy - 2017-10-18 10:40 PM

If he was retired why did the DWP have anything to do with him? :-S .........

I thought they were only involved if you claimed benefit? :-| ........

It was post stroke when he qualified for some kind of allowance, i thought it was 'disability' [?] as he was unable to walk for a time and even when his mobility improved, it was still limited. After a few years he applied to the DVLA to have his licence restored and took on an adapted car through Motability. I remember that as he told me he had the choice of receiving whatever benefit he was on, or the car. He chose the car. His wife also received a carer benefit because i remember them telling me she would receive a higher rate had she not been a family member, in this instance, his wife.

I don't know the fine detail as they only told me what they wanted me to know and no more.

Archived