Fruitpickers on their way

Bulletguy

Well Brexiteers have been quiet on this one which broke yesterday. Fruit and veg farms have been desperate for labour to pick the crops before it all goes to waste.

Brits can rest easy though as plane loads of them foreigner folk are arriving to 'steal' those jobs! Phew....just in the nick of time so thank God for freedom of movement. (lol)

Apparently a few Brits joined the Land Army to pick for Blighty but nowhere near enough needed to gather in that Brexit British harvest. Next year Brexiters are going to have to get out in the fields though......a case of reap what you've sown.

https://tinyurl.com/yay7cj48

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-16 11:35 PM

Well Brexiteers have been quiet on this one which broke yesterday. Fruit and veg farms have been desperate for labour to pick the crops before it all goes to waste.

Brits can rest easy though as plane loads of them foreigner folk are arriving to 'steal' those jobs! Phew....just in the nick of time so thank God for freedom of movement. (lol)

Apparently a few Brits joined the Land Army to pick for Blighty but nowhere near enough needed to gather in that Brexit British harvest. Next year Brexiters are going to have to get out in the fields though......a case of reap what you've sown.

https://tinyurl.com/yay7cj48

Kinda shows the needy are not that needy ;-) .........

What better time to earn extra dosh whilst furloughed? :-| .........

But don't panic Bullet ;-) .........

I'm sure they'll still be shipping cheap labour next year to >:-) .........

With the exception being we can ship'em out afterwards :D ........

In this part of the world our locals are also not that keen on fruit picking. From what I am told by the backpackers we meet on the road most of the picking is done by them.There are all nationalities from Uk and Europe. Not sure what will happen this season. cheers,

Geeco - 2020-04-17 6:04 AM

In this part of the world our locals are also not that keen on fruit picking. From what I am told by the backpackers we meet on the road most of the picking is done by them.There are all nationalities from Uk and Europe. Not sure what will happen this season. cheers,

Gosh ... Old BG aint guna be happy ... Looks like us Brexiteers have messed it up down under n'all ... Blame Brexit ... Wonder if Brexit is to blame for this wonderful weather we have had for the last few weeks n'all ... Regards to everyone

Geeco - 2020-04-17 6:04 AM

Hi Gary.....it's hard manual labour. The pay isn't too bad from reports i've read and those able to pick fast can earn fairly decent money. It's usually been done by [mainly] East Europeans as they are used to that type of labour. We also have a few in the fishing industry on Trawlers though that work is extremely dangerous and pay dependent on catch...poor catch = poor pay, a good catch and they can earn a four figure sum.

According to the NFU (Farmers Union) fruit and veg farms need 60 - 70,000 pickers every year and only 9,500 Brits applied. Given the enthusiasm for ending freedom of movement and Brits complaining about foreigners 'stealing' [their] jobs, i'd have expected more to apply but it seems they are not so keen after all.

jumpstart - 2020-04-17 4:29 PM

Hard labour picking vegetables,it’s the bending over all the time which would be difficult,well except for one I can think off on here.

"think off" ??? ... If you were involved in a "think off" its pretty well nailed on you'd lose princess ... You and thinking don't mix ... Whos the member on here that wouldnt find bending over a problem and why ???

Birdbrain - 2020-04-17 6:18 PM

When reality meets BG's fantasy ... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/coronavirus-farming-jobs-search-record-feed-nation-campaign-a9458436.html ... Record numbers they say ??? ... Chuckle ... Imagine hating that much ???

Why does it say only 2000 are being matched to jobs out of the 30000 that "expressed an interest"? Its a real issue as I think they needed 90000. Great if people apply and can do the work and the problem is that last bit I imagine.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-17 6:33 PM

When reality meets BG's fantasy ... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/coronavirus-farming-jobs-search-record-feed-nation-campaign-a9458436.html ... Record numbers they say ??? ... Chuckle ... Imagine hating that much ???

Why does it say only 2000 are being matched to jobs out of the 30000 that "expressed an interest"? Its a real issue as I think they needed 90000. Great if people apply and can do the work and the problem is that last bit I imagine.

No idea ... The interest is there obviously with the record numbers ... How they go about locating those folk around the country I suppose is a different issue ... Maybe BG who knows more about it than the rest of us can tell us ???

jumpstart - 2020-04-17 6:51 PM

Apples is the one I could think of, cos they are in trees....didn’t you know.

"think of" now is it , you should have said that in your really funny original post ... Dont forget to answer my question that your conveniently forgetting to answer ... Really hope you aint another homophobe

Birdbrain - 2020-04-17 6:59 PM

"think of" now is it , you should have said that in your really funny original post ... Dont forget to answer my question that your conveniently forgetting to answer ... Really hope you aint another homophobe

It’s all me..me..me ..with you. What’s wrong with you? Give it a break about your bloody sexuality. This is about fruit pickers.

jumpstart - 2020-04-17 7:59 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-17 6:59 PM

It’s all me..me..me ..with you. What’s wrong with you? Give it a break about your bloody sexuality. This is about fruit pickers.

Yes you are right about this thread being about fruit pickers ... Unfortunately you turned it into being about one person on here who wouldnt have a problem bending over ... You changed the topic and now you don't like it because you are being asked to say who that member is and why ??? ... You daren't say... You are big enough to go halfway but daren't go the full hog and give the name and reason why ... Prove me wrong ???

Barryd999 - 2020-04-17 6:33 PM

Why does it say only 2000 are being matched to jobs out of the 30000 that "expressed an interest"?

This explains why;

Concordia, one of the three recruitment companies in the alliance, said: “To date 900 people have explicitly rejected the roles we have offered and 112 have taken up our offer of a role on a UK farm.”

Another recruitment firm in the alliance, Hops, said only 9% of those who had completed the recruitment process were eligible for the job. “Some are saying they cannot commit to 40 hours a week, some can only commit for a few weeks whereas some roles can be full time for eight weeks and some can be up to six months,” said Sarah Boparan, the operations director at Hops.

https://tinyurl.com/ycjv459d

jumpstart - 2020-04-17 9:02 PM

So is this going to be a yearly thing, makes the Home office look a bit foolish.

Well it could be. It was kind of one of the benefits of being in the EU. However we have no idea how we will emerge the other side of this. We could be facing millions unemployed sadly. So it could be that people are forced into these jobs to survive. Who knows?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-04-17 9:31 PM

So is this going to be a yearly thing, makes the Home office look a bit foolish.

Well it could be. It was kind of one of the benefits of being in the EU. However we have no idea how we will emerge the other side of this. We could be facing millions unemployed sadly. So it could be that people are forced into these jobs to survive. Who knows?

This yearly influx of intinerate workers went on for decades before we joined the EU ;-) ...........

I'm only suprized more furloughed workers are not taking up the opportunity for double bubble? :-| ........

Obviously being paid 80% of your wages to sit on yer butt apppeals more to todays snowflakes :D .......

pelmetman - 2020-04-18 10:37 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-17 9:31 PM

This yearly influx of intinerate workers went on for decades before we joined the EU ;-) ...........

I'm only suprized more furloughed workers are not taking up the opportunity for double bubble? :-| ........

Obviously being paid 80% of your wages to sit on yer butt apppeals more to todays snowflakes :D .......

Found this:

Can I get a second job on furlough?

Staff may be able to work for another employer so long as it does not breach your current employment contract.

They should only work outside of the hours they would normally work with the job they have been furloughed from.

For example, taking an extra weekend job at a supermarket, or running deliveries in the evening, may not breach obligations if your contract states you must work from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

However, it is best to check with your employer before undertaking another job.

Seems a bit of a grey area? Looks like if your on furlough you can only work outside your normal contract times.

Government guidelines do no mention such restrictions. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme#while-youre-on-furlough

Whilst many people might apply for these roles its not that simple. There are travel issues to consider and the work is often extremely hard. Getting up at 4am and having to travel maybe 50 miles to some remote farm to do back breaking work will not appeal to many and even if it does the real money is made by hardened workers that are used to it and are fast. The quicker you work the more you get paid I think is often the case. Its not a question of being a snowflake. If your not used to this kind of work, it will be a shocker!

Perhaps we will begin to realise just how valuable those immigrants were from Fruit pickers to NHS and Care workers.

Guest pelmetman

Seems like the government is trying to actively encourage furloughed workers to apply ;-) .......

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/read-this/furloughed-staff-can-apply-work-farms-heres-how-2539169

I would imagine that the only exclusions any employer might insist on is that you don't work for a competitor :-| ...........

In the past I've worked in a roof tile factory whilst on leave from the navy.......and went pea picking on my honeymoon :D .........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-04-18 12:38 PM

As I’ve already said the more elderly wouldn't be able to bend over all day. They would be off sick for a week after one day.

I doubt many of the millions who have been furloughed qualify as "Elderly" 8-) .........

Can you get a elderly snowflake? :-S ........

Only in an Ice age :D .......

Perhaps its time to be thankful for global warming (lol) .........

As I’ve already said the more elderly wouldn't be able to bend over all day. They would be off sick for a week after one day.

The only people that stand a chance of succeeding at this work is those that are young and fit. On a lot of farms you are expected to stay onsite in caravan type accommodation, that will put a lot off. I dont think its free either, about £50 a week I read earlier and your expected to share. Single people might apply I guess but people with families? I doubt it.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-04-18 1:38 PM

The only people that stand a chance of succeeding at this work is those that are young and fit. On a lot of farms you are expected to stay onsite in caravan type accommodation, that will put a lot off. I dont think its free either, about £50 a week I read earlier and your expected to share. Single people might apply I guess but people with families? I doubt it.

So people with families don't spend time away?............Hmmm I spent 10 years going away for months at the time from my family ;-) ........

Given lockdown syndrom I expect some folk will face the choice of spending more time with they're family........Or earning more dosh :D .........

Archived