Has Stuart ...

Birdbrain

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO BIRDBRAIN'S POSTS

I'm sorry to have to persist with these notices but they are having a useful effect so please stick with me in this. Birdbrain is at least holding back on his insults to others on here (except that he's made me his new target of course, with silly, spurious personal challenges) so please be patient. Chatterbox is not moderated so if we ever want to discourage someone like Birdbrain from behaving like Mr Nasty, this is probably the only way to do it.

Birdbrain likes be outrageous - nothing necessarily wrong with that but he also does it with completely unnecessary nastiness by habitually showering others with personalised insults. Here's an example of how one contributor has described Birdbrain's methods: "The derogatory effeminate insults he uses as 'put downs' against any fm's not on his mates list, 'princess', 'sweet cheeks', 'the sisters', 'haters' etc are very juvenile. His personal snipes against me ("microwave meal for one again") refer to my living alone which appears to amuse him. Quite why he does this i've no idea as plenty of people live alone, but what on earth his peculiar obsession with my grandchildren is all about God alone knows and bringing an fm's grandchildren into forum discussions for no valid reason absolutely crosses the line." Another another example: " Its not nice to call people Fatty, Hater and Loser though Mr Birdbrain. I have to say thats very naughty." Everyone seems to agree that Birdbrain's habit of aggressive posts and offensive, gratuitous insulting of people has been really awful.

So that's why I started posting these suggestions that we simply cut off any responses to Birdbrain until he show's us that he is going to behave better. I'm not trying to censor him or discourage his outspokenness, simply to discourage him from behaving so nastily towards others. Since I started this campaign Birdbrain has actually stopped his habitual insults to anyone who argues with him more or less completely - although of course he has started making me his new target instead and he's trying to maintain an impression that he's not going to change. But he is clearly showing that he's rattled and frustrated, so this campaign of not responding to him and me posting these notices repetitively is working.

A few regular contributors have chosen to continue responding to Birdbrain and that's a pity because I think they are likely to be giving Birdbrain the oxygen of attention which he craves. Chatterbox contributors are perhaps not natural team players but in this sort of case I suggest that we should stick together and stay with it. I would therefore ask everyone to consider simply ignoring Birdbrain's posts, as I have done, until he shows us that he will mend his ways. If we all do this for a while he's bound to get the message eventually. It shouldn't take all that long.

Tell you what Stuart ... If you can show anywhere on here where I have ever mentioned your grandchildren or you living on your own as you are claiming in your bullying and trolling posts then I will leave as soon as you post it up ... Obviously you will have to disregard the other day when I picked you up on your lies and mentioned it ... There, I have made it easy for you ... Now if you cant find anything regarding what you claim I have said about you and your grandchildren are you going to do the decent thing and apologise and leave???

StuartO - 2021-01-19 8:28 AM

Birdbrain likes be outrageous - nothing necessarily wrong with that but he also does it with completely unnecessary nastiness by habitually showering others with personalised insults. Here's an example of how one contributor has described Birdbrain's methods: "The derogatory effeminate insults he uses as 'put downs' against any fm's not on his mates list, 'princess', 'sweet cheeks', 'the sisters', 'haters' etc are very juvenile. His personal snipes against me ("microwave meal for one again") refer to my living alone which appears to amuse him. Quite why he does this i've no idea as plenty of people live alone, but what on earth his peculiar obsession with my grandchildren is all about God alone knows and bringing an fm's grandchildren into forum discussions for no valid reason absolutely crosses the line."

The above is the second paragraph, lifted from Stuart's post. Note the highlighted line and the quotation marks that follow it.....

(I cannot see where Stuart has referenced his own Grandchildren or living arrangements?)

pepe63 - 2021-01-19 10:15 AM

Birdbrain likes be outrageous - nothing necessarily wrong with that but he also does it with completely unnecessary nastiness by habitually showering others with personalised insults. Here's an example of how one contributor has described Birdbrain's methods: "The derogatory effeminate insults he uses as 'put downs' against any fm's not on his mates list, 'princess', 'sweet cheeks', 'the sisters', 'haters' etc are very juvenile. His personal snipes against me ("microwave meal for one again") refer to my living alone which appears to amuse him. Quite why he does this i've no idea as plenty of people live alone, but what on earth his peculiar obsession with my grandchildren is all about God alone knows and bringing an fm's grandchildren into forum discussions for no valid reason absolutely crosses the line."

The above is the second paragraph, lifted from Stuart's post. Note the highlighted line and the quotation marks that follow it.....

(I cannot see where Stuart has referenced his own Grandchildren or living arrangements?)

I think that was originally a quote from Bulletguy (Paul).

Why dont we just draw a line under it and move on?

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 11:23 AM Why dont we just draw a line under it and move on?

Barry, the reason why Birdbrain has persisted with his efforts to sweep aside the encouragement to improve his behaviour, for which purpose he has also carried on name-calling in a big way (of me mostly, since I started these notices suggesting we ignore his posts) is that his posts haven't been ignored by some and indeed two or three Chatterbox regulars, especially you, have chosen to continue dealing with him normally (by Chatterbox standards) despite in your case having hitherto been one of his principle targets for insults, which until I started this campaign for better behaviour, I wasn't.

I appreciate that you told me as I started that you didn't agree withe idea of tackling him in this way and that you seemed to see it an attempt to censor Birdbrain, which it never was - as I have made perfectly clear. And if you are against censorship then are both Birdbrain and I entitled to continue to post what we like, no matter how irritatinng and repetitive it might get to you?

If you had followed the crowd and ignored Birdbrain on here for a while, as the overwhelming majority have done, can't you see that we might have made better progress by now? Would you like to reconsider - and if not explain again why you are so keen on encouraging Birdbrain, your frequent tormentor?

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-19 12:36 PM

malc d - 2021-01-19 12:24 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 11:23 AM

When you say " move on " I assume you mean you 'carry on as usual ' ? (?)

Apologies for edit! :-D

Well Barry suggests that " WE " move on ( i.e. carry on as usual ) - so I assume he means all of us - including Antony.

:-|

StuartO - 2021-01-19 12:10 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 11:23 AM Why dont we just draw a line under it and move on?

Barry, the reason why Birdbrain has persisted with his efforts to sweep aside the encouragement to improve his behaviour, for which purpose he has also carried on name-calling in a big way (of me mostly, since I started these notices suggesting we ignore his posts) is that his posts haven't been ignored by some and indeed two or three Chatterbox regulars, especially you, have chosen to continue dealing with him normally (by Chatterbox standards) despite in your case having hitherto been one of his principle targets for insults, which until I started this campaign for better behaviour, I wasn't.

I appreciate that you told me as I started that you didn't agree withe idea of tackling him in this way and that you seemed to see it an attempt to censor Birdbrain, which it never was - as I have made perfectly clear. And if you are against censorship then are both Birdbrain and I entitled to continue to post what we like, no matter how irritatinng and repetitive it might get to you?

If you had followed the crowd and ignored Birdbrain on here for a while, as the overwhelming majority have done, can't you see that we might have made better progress by now? Would you like to reconsider - and if not explain again why you are so keen on encouraging Birdbrain, your frequent tormentor?

You wont change a posters MO by constantly posting the same message over and over again. Plus I cant say I was particularly happy with being told to ignore somebody. You ignore Mr Birdbrain if you like. His insults to me do not annoy me so he is not a "frequent tormentor" to me. Its water of a ducks back to me and lets face it a lot of it is not serious. Well not on my account anyway. I find some of it amusing but apparently I find violence and vandalism funny so maybe its just me. (lol)

I would just forget it Stuart. Dont let it upset you. Or, dont get mad, get even!! (lol)

pepe63 - 2021-01-19 10:15 AM

He hasn't Pepe but as most of us are fully aware one of Antonys notorious habits is ad hominen attacks taking a line from an fm's post totally out of context and then using it against them. With the above as an example Antony says if Stuart "can show anywhere on here where I have ever mentioned your grandchildren or you living on your own" he (Antony) "will leave as soon as you post it up".

Of course Antony knows full well Stuart cannot post that up........because Stuart never stated that, I did.

Antony then ends by saying, "Now if you cant find anything regarding what you claim I have said about you and your grandchildren are you going to do the decent thing and apologise and leave???"

Antony should heed his own advice.........to "do the decent thing and apologise and leave".

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 11:23 AM

You need to ask Antony that question as up to now i've not seen anything that suggests he does.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 2:43 PM You wont change a posters MO by constantly posting the same message over and over again. Plus I cant say I was particularly happy with being told to ignore somebody. You ignore Mr Birdbrain if you like. His insults to me do not annoy me so he is not a "frequent tormentor" to me. Its water of a ducks back to me and lets face it a lot of it is not serious. Well not on my account anyway. I find some of it amusing but apparently I find violence and vandalism funny so maybe its just me. (lol)

I would just forget it Stuart. Dont let it upset you. Or, dont get mad, get even!! (lol)

I stuck my neck out quite a long way to challenge Birdbrian about his behaviour (which has been awful) and you have undermined what I did by continuing to exchange with him - seemingly for no good reason at all. You "weren't particularly happy about being told" to ignore someone but who exactly "told" you to ignore him? Surely you were merely politely invited to do so.

And because of your stubborn refusal to cooperate, for no good reason at all and perhaps mainly because it wasn't your idea, when you personally had been one of Birdbrain's main targets (and you had complained about his insults, so don't now say you just found them funny) I suggest that you could have done a lot better. You deliberately chucked a spanner in the works and Birdbrain has exploited the opportunity which your support allowed him to strut his stuff and give me a lot of unwarranted stick. And now you have the cheek to tell me to stop and move on because you're finding my repetitive posts irritating.

I suggest you should reflect on all this and when the need for a bit of cooperative action arises to improve the unmoderated Chatterbox by shaming someone into behaving better, you should be willing to be a team player for once rather than screwing things up just because you can.

And what do you mean by "get even"? You would resort to dirty tricks if it was you would you? Is that he person you are? Publish Birdbrain's personal details and suggest that we all write to his elderly mum to detail his iniquity would you? That might well have the desired effect but it wouldn't be right to do it, would it? All we needed to do was shun Birdbrain connsistently for a relatively short while and he would get the message. Other people are posting on this thread in ways which show you that there is widespread support.. You could at least stop supporting Birdbrain and let the rest of us have a proper go at influencing him.

StuartO - 2021-01-19 3:30 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 2:43 PM You wont change a posters MO by constantly posting the same message over and over again. Plus I cant say I was particularly happy with being told to ignore somebody. You ignore Mr Birdbrain if you like. His insults to me do not annoy me so he is not a "frequent tormentor" to me. Its water of a ducks back to me and lets face it a lot of it is not serious. Well not on my account anyway. I find some of it amusing but apparently I find violence and vandalism funny so maybe its just me. (lol)

I stuck my neck out quite a long way to challenge Birdbrian about his behaviour (which has been awful) and you have undermined what I did by continuing to exchange with him - seemingly for no good reason at all. You "weren't particularly happy about being told" to ignore someone but who exactly "told" you to ignore him? Surely you were merely politely invited to do so.

And because of your stubborn refusal to cooperate, for no good reason at all and perhaps mainly because it wasn't your idea, when you personally had been one of Birdbrain's main targets (and you had complained about his insults, so don't now say you just found them funny) I suggest that you could have done a lot better. You deliberately chucked a spanner in the works and Birdbrain has exploited the opportunity which your support allowed him to strut his stuff and give me a lot of unwarranted stick. And now you have the cheek to tell me to stop and move on because you're finding my repetitive posts irritating.

I suggest you should reflect on all this and when the need for a bit of cooperative action arises to improve the unmoderated Chatterbox by shaming someone into behaving better, you should be willing to be a team player for once rather than screwing things up just because you can.

And what do you mean by "get even"? You would resort to dirty tricks if it was you would you? Is that he person you are? Publish Birdbrain's personal details and suggest that we all write to his elderly mum to detail his iniquity would you? That might well have the desired effect but it wouldn't be right to do it, would it? All we needed to do was shun Birdbrain connsistently for a relatively short while and he would get the message. Other people are posting on this thread in ways which show you that there is widespread support.. You could at least stop supporting Birdbrain and let the rest of us have a proper go at influencing him.

'you have undermined what I did" ... "because of your stubborn refusal to cooperate" ... "you have the cheek to tell me to stop" ... "cooperative action" ... "shun Birdbrain" ... "stop supporting Birdbrain" ... "have a proper go at influencing him" ... Jesus Christ ... Who the chuff do you think you are ??? ... Your a member of a motorhome forum FFS ... My Mums dead n'all, so writing your pathetic letter to her would be about as much use as your pathetic, bullying, trolling posts are having on here to me ... Get a life

StuartO - 2021-01-19 4:27 PM

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO BIRDBRAIN

Stuart, what you are attempting is known in education as "behaviour modification", it works with children and animals and has even been known to work in grown men in prisons that can see the error of their ways.

In summary it's that you don't pick up the crying baby because once the baby learns that to be picked up all it needs to do is cry so never stops crying.

But it doesn't work with those that have been damaged in childhood, their motivations aren't the same as normal people, so until Anthony is able to show on the doll where the big brown boys hurt him any attempts at an intervention are wasted.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-19 4:45 PM

StuartO - 2021-01-19 4:27 PM

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO BIRDBRAIN

Stuart, what you are attempting is known in education as "behaviour modification", it works with children and animals and has even been known to work in grown men in prisons that can see the error of their ways.

In summary it's that you don't pick up the crying baby because once the baby learns that to be picked up all it needs to do is cry so never stops crying.

But it doesn't work with those that have been damaged in childhood, their motivations aren't the same as normal people, so until Anthony is able to show on the doll where the big brown boys hurt him any attempts at an intervention are wasted.

You seem to have a fixation with "big brown boys" ... Hey its 2021 whatever tickles ya fancy I suppose ... Enjoy

Stuart. I think you are taking all this a bit too seriously but I will address the bits in bold above if I may.

1. Who exactly told me to ignore him? You did repeatedly to the point where every thread had your long post telling people to ignore him.

2. You think I ignored your directive because it wasn't my idea! (lol) I ignored it because I don't agree with it. The insults Birdbrain and myself might direct towards each other are for me at least somewhat tongue in cheek. A bit "Hollywood" as Mr Birdbrain likes to say.

3. I havent deliberately thrown a spanner in the works either. I just don't agree with your course of action. As for not being a team player? Come on! This is a forum. A general place where internet mates get together for a bit of an old debate, chinwag, maybe the odd piss take etc. I don't think we have an HR department! I actually come on here for a bit of entertainment as well as some robust discussion. I think you are taking it too seriously.

As for the last bit about his mum I have no idea what you are on about.

Having said all that, I don't want anyone to be upset or for any real "fall outs" and I am sorry you feel let down, offended, frustrated but you have to remember this is a forum. We wont all agree and unless you know the person well its often difficult to know if they are being serious, half joking or just winding you up. I hope we can continue to enjoy posting in lets face it what are difficult times where we need a bit of social interaction.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 6:51 PM

Stuart. I think you are taking all this a bit too seriously but I will address the bits in bold above if I may.

1. Who exactly told me to ignore him? You did repeatedly to the point where every thread had your long post telling people to ignore him.

2. You think I ignored your directive because it wasn't my idea! (lol) I ignored it because I don't agree with it. The insults Birdbrain and myself might direct towards each other are for me at least somewhat tongue in cheek. A bit "Hollywood" as Mr Birdbrain likes to say.

3. I havent deliberately thrown a spanner in the works either. I just don't agree with your course of action. As for not being a team player? Come on! This is a forum. A general place where internet mates get together for a bit of an old debate, chinwag, maybe the odd piss take etc. I don't think we have an HR department! I actually come on here for a bit of entertainment as well as some robust discussion. I think you are taking it too seriously.

Having said all that, I don't want anyone to be upset or for any real "fall outs" and I am sorry you feel let down, offended, frustrated but you have to remember this is a forum. We wont all agree and unless you know the person well its often difficult to know if they are being serious, half joking or just winding you up. I hope we can continue to enjoy posting in lets face it what are difficult times where we need a bit of social interaction.

Chuckle ... To understand your post Stuart is going to have to learn whats a wind up and whats not ... You know, like I know when we 'hate' each other on here the majority of the time its basically just a wind up ... I dont hate you and I know you dont hate me, we were born to wind each other up but Stuart couldn't ever understand that because he lacks one thing ... Our sense of humour ... His hate campaign against me though has been an outrage though, a fecking disgrace to be honest

Birdbrain - 2021-01-19 7:44 PM

Chuckle ... To understand your post Stuart is going to have to learn whats a wind up and whats not ... You know, like I know when we 'hate' each other on here the majority of the time its basically just a wind up ... I dont hate you and I know you dont hate me, we were born to wind each other up but Stuart couldn't ever understand that because he lacks one thing ... Our sense of humour ... His hate campaign against me though has been an outrage though, a fecking disgrace to be honest

Ah! but is that now a wind up or do you mean it?

Barryd999 - 2021-01-19 10:22 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-19 7:44 PM

Ah! but is that now a wind up or do you mean it?

Both ... Ive found it massively hypocritical that hes targeted me while I have probably been the target of more names and insults than anyone on here and lets be honest bullies and trolls should never win should they ... As much as I am outraged of Huddersfield Stuarts childish silliness has made me laugh, a lot ... I cant believe a grown man on here has actually taken the time, gone out of his way and thought that trolling another member with a hate campaign with post after post of warnings to other members to not respond to that member is a good idea ... Yuk

Birdbrain - 2021-01-20 7:14 AM........................................................Both ... Ive found it massively hypocritical that hes targeted me while I have probably been the target of more names and insults than anyone on here and lets be honest bullies and trolls should never win should they ... As much as I am outraged of Huddersfield Stuarts childish silliness has made me laugh, a lot ... I cant believe a grown man on here has actually taken the time, gone out of his way and thought that trolling another member with a hate campaign with post after post of warnings to other members to not respond to that member is a good idea ... Yuk

So maybe this is the clue?

It is all just a mismatch of various senses of humour? What one person sees as funny, another sees as insulting or intentional provocation?

Differing sensibilities, on differing issues, leading to misunderstandings as to intent? Possibly made worse by the fact that we have no way of communicating in parallel via facial expressions, winks, etc, when the intention is humorous, and when it is a direct attack on the person?

That all we have to judge the intention using just the written word - with no added context.

If so it is easily remedied, if everyone can allow for the shortcomings of written communication, especially if written in haste - more so if the poster fails to read what they have written while asking themselves how their "quip" may come across to the "quipped".

I don't think I've seen as many instances of people actually calling names, as I've seen people saying that posts (but not the poster) have questionable characteristics - although I can understand that such comments could, especially if carelessly phrased, be interpreted as criticism of the poster.

So is that all it is? Just a series of misunderstandings stemming from jokes gone wrong, leading to misperceptions as to the character of the joker, amplified at times by careless phraseology?

If so, just wipe the slates clean, and kiss and make up (selectively, of course - there are limits!) :-D

Lets hope so. B-)

Archived