If you want out, then you will be out!

StuartO

If Harry and Meghan really did want out, they seem to have got full measure - no royal duties at all, no using "HRH" or "Prince", just plain Duke and Duchess of Sussex, with no landed estate to go with it. And they will get no public money in future and have to refund the £2.4 million of public money spent on Frogmore Cottage.

There will presumably be continuing funding on quite a scale by the Prince of Wales from the Duchy of Cornwall, at least until Harry and Meghan do become self-funding. And the door seems to have been left open for a change of mind.

HM and Buck Palace have released statements. The Queen said, "i am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family" which seems an odd thing to say as Meghan flew off to Canada and left Harry to sort out the mess with Granny!

I suppose they have a pad in Canada so should be ok for fom! (lol)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51164232

StuartO - 2020-01-19 3:18 PM

If Harry and Meghan really did want out, they seem to have got full measure - no royal duties at all, no using "HRH" or "Prince", just plain Duke and Duchess of Sussex, with no landed estate to go with it. And they will get no public money in future and have to refund the £2.4 million of public money spent on Frogmore Cottage.

There will presumably be continuing funding on quite a scale by the Prince of Wales from the Duchy of Cornwall, at least until Harry and Meghan do become self-funding. And the door seems to have been left open for a change of mind.

Yes, by the sound/tone of what is being reported, it certainly sounds like that they've been met with more of a "..you want out?..then out you go!.." response than they would've liked.

As for the monies for the Frogmore Cottage refurb'; as the 2.4million involved seemed to be getting mentioned quite a lot, I think them paying it back is just a bit of good PR....

(..and I doubt it's going to leave them short for next months' rent & food bill).

Bulletguy - 2020-01-20 12:26 PM

Until today i thought he wanted no public funding but it seems his Gran has told him he's got to take it. :-S

"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51170973

I could well be wrong but I interrupted that to mean that, although he wanted to "continue serving..", he now can't because he is not going to continue with his current public funding arrangement..?

..and that is why he/they are stepping back even further than they initially hoped? maybe?

pepe63 - 2020-01-20 12:43 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-20 12:26 PM

Until today i thought he wanted no public funding but it seems his Gran has told him he's got to take it. :-S

"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51170973

I could well be wrong but I interrupted that to mean that, although he wanted to "continue serving..", he now can't because he is not going to continue with his current public funding arrangement..?

..and that is why he/they are stepping back even further than they initially hoped? maybe?

Reading one of the embedded links does appear to say that pepe.

They will no longer use their HRH titles and will stop receiving public funds for royal duties under the "new arrangement".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51041950

BBC Breakfast news was full of it today and i think it will quickly become yesterdays news.

jumpstart - 2020-01-20 1:23 PM

I’m not entirely sure what it is they can’t cope with.

I'm with you on this jumpstart. Perhaps they would have enough nous to understand that their problems pale into insignificance when compared with what the majorityof the people on earth have to cope with.

Violet1956 - 2020-01-20 7:15 PM

jumpstart - 2020-01-20 1:23 PM

I’m not entirely sure what it is they can’t cope with.

I'm with you on this jumpstart. Perhaps they would have enough nous to understand that their problems pale into insignificance when compared with what the majorityof the people on earth have to cope with.

Well I am more likely to support Harrys view on this occasion.

Bearing in mind what happened to his mother at the hands of the press, I'm sure he is very concerned about his wifes well being.

He may well be worrying too much - but I can quite understand why.

:-|

Apparently Harry & Meghan have threatened legal action in Canada against photographers who snapped Meghan (while hiding behind bushes) walking in a public park with her baby and her two dogs. As I understand it you cannot stop anyone from taking pictures in UK in any public place - is Meghan wanting to control any and every picture taken of her?

StuartO - 2020-01-21 5:07 PM

Apparently Harry & Meghan have threatened legal action in Canada against photographers who snapped Meghan (while hiding behind bushes) walking in a public park with her baby and her two dogs. As I understand it you cannot stop anyone from taking pictures in UK in any public place - is Meghan wanting to control any and every picture taken of her?

Oh dear.....it seems both do and instead of moving to Canada, perhaps they should have considered shipping out to an uninhabited island! :-|

Maybe if they stopped making a song and dance about things they wouldn't draw so much publicity. Kate and William don't complain and as a result barely get any press interest.

Whilst he obviously couldn't help the family that he was born into(and the attention/lifestyle/"workload" that comes with it), if he really wanted a quieter, more private life, away from public gaze, then maybe marrying a US actress (one that ran a celebrity "lifestyle blog"), setting up a "Sussex royals,com" website, and seemingly pouring his heart out in interviews as often as he can, is probably not the best way to go about it...... :-S

(As for "car chases"- I dare say there'll be plenty of "celebrities" that could get similar treatment,and in the case of the Princess Diana crash, I think I'm correct in saying that the driver was way over the drink drive limit?) :-S

Archived