Is the Forum running slow tonight.

Hymer C 9.

J9withdogs - 2007-11-13 8:00 PM

Is there a programme for raising a hard-drive from the dead *-)

Is the hard drive really dead or just not booting into the OS? If it is the latter then you should be able to re-format it and reload the OS.

If it really seems to be dead and it contains must have files then there are companies which can resurrect drives - but they are expensive.

A cheaper alternative (though by no means guaranteed to work) is to bash the drive on a concrete floor - might just free up something stuck - and then install it in another machine as a slave to extract the files. Sounds drastic but I have seen it done by techie colleagues when I worked in IT.

On no account take the drive to bits because that will definitely cream cracker it.

To guarantee beating identity theft before dumping the disk, place on a concrete floor, don safety goggles and belt it several times with a sledge hammer.

Graham

Wow - drastic measures!

I have my pet computer man working on it as we speak (I seem to have 'pet' for all circumstances!)

I do have back-ups of most of my work so just a minor inconvenience, I hope.

As long as you guys don't think that I am on here 24/7 - I do have a life! (lol)

Sorry Graham but I do not agree with your suggestion to "smack it on a hard concrete floor" unless you..........

A/ Really have tried everything else with no luck, or......

B/ Really know what you are doing, or.......

C/ just want to destroy a drive completely.

The disc itself is quite fragile as are the read/write heads and smacking it on a hard surface will almost certainly render it completely FUBAR.

Data recovery can be done by most decent computer shops nowadays, I recently had to have it done :$ but I learned the hard way and back up daily now. Anyway they managed to retrieve almost all of my data and thankfully all of the really important stuff and it only cost me £45 inc VAT.

D.

Mel B - 2007-11-13 7:49 PM

Carole

Try running a programme called 'Crap Cleaner' to take out the ... crap funnily enough ... from your hard drive, similarly then run a defragging programme. You'll probably find that helps a bit.

..........................................................................................................................

Mel where will I find my Crap cleaner (In as polite way as possible)

Carol.

davenewell@home - 2007-11-13 8:28 PM

Sorry Graham but I do not agree with your suggestion to "smack it on a hard concrete floor" unless you..........

A/ Really have tried everything else with no luck, or......

B/ Really know what you are doing, or.......

C/ just want to destroy a drive completely.

The disc itself is quite fragile as are the read/write heads and smacking it on a hard surface will almost certainly render it completely FUBAR.

Yes Dave, I agree - and I did say if it really seems to be dead :-D . I was amazed when I first saw it done - but the guys who did it were experienced hardware people who I'd worked with for years.

davenewell@home - 2007-11-13 8:28 PM

Data recovery can be done by most decent computer shops nowadays, I recently had to have it done :$ but I learned the hard way and back up daily now. Anyway they managed to retrieve almost all of my data and thankfully all of the really important stuff and it only cost me £45 inc VAT.

That's certainly a good price, a lot less than I've seen quoted previously. If I ever get into that position I'll set the Tom Tom for Telford :D

As you say, a regular backup regime is the best way to avoid problems.

Good to see that Janine got the problem sorted anyway. I'm sure there is no significance in the fact that she took it to a computer Man *-)

Graham

"As you say, a regular backup regime is the best way to avoid problems."

Yup, did I feel a bit of a prat after preaching exactly that to others then finding I'd neglected to do it myself. An expensive lesson but it could have been so much worse.

I now back up to DVD every night before I shut the system down.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-11-14 7:14 AM

Yup, did I feel a bit of a prat after preaching exactly that to others then finding I'd neglected to do it myself. An expensive lesson but it could have been so much worse.

Best I did was over-write a salaries master file on a mainframe. Now that teaches you the value of a good backup :D

davenewell@home - 2007-11-14 7:14 AM

I now back up to DVD every night before I shut the system down.

As well as daily backups of changed files, each week I back up both our main machines to an external hard drive, copy changed files to a second external hard drive and then create a DVD of the main folders. The two external drives and the DVD are kept in separate locations from the PCs in case of fire.

When we go away I back everything up to the laptop which we take with us.

Graham (Careful not paranoid, honest) (lol)

When the techies at work want to wipe a hard drive clean they just stick a great big magnet on the top, they use one out of an old stereo speaker, and leave it for 24 hours, it completely obliterates anything on the drive.

Carole - crap cleaner, this is good for removing all your temporary files out and has a registry clean up with takes out old links that don't work etc, basically stuff you don't need anymore but is clogging up your hard drive:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Power defragmenter is a good one to use every week to keep your machine in good order, the first time you do it it can take a while to clean up the hard drive, if you then get into the habit of running it every week it hardly takes any time at all and keeps your machine optimised:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Power_Defragmenter/1110989780/1

Both are safe to use.

Mel B - 2007-11-14 9:19 PM

When the techies at work want to wipe a hard drive clean they just stick a great big magnet on the top, they use one out of an old stereo speaker, and leave it for 24 hours, it completely obliterates anything on the drive.

We used to use a de-gausser for cassette tapes about 30 years ago. Did the same job but a lot quicker :-D

Graham

Archived